Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Study.com Statistics?
My son gave up on ALEKS stats after struggling for 2 months and not making much progress. How is Study.com's statistics course? He's trying to decide on whether to take it there or elsewhere, and I haven't seen much discussion of statistics outside ALEKS.
Aleks stats wouldn't click with me. I tried SL (intro not business stats) and couldn't get that either. Sophia's statistics course was awesome for me. It had alot more research design than traditional stats courses, but the videos really helped me. I took the course when it was free, but I would have happily paid full price to get coursework that was presented in a way that made sense to me.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
He's so scared of statistics at this point that I was considering enrolling him at Ashworth for one semester to get his associates degree because then he can skip regular stats and only take business stats - and the SL business stats course for some reason looks much, much simpler than intro to stats. I'm still considering it - we need to make a decision this week so he can determine his next steps. He will be getting his bachelors at WGU.
You may look to your local community college. They often have learning "labs" which are basically free one on one tutoring. My fiance did this with stats and it made all the difference for her. it wouldn't work with my work schedule, otherwise I would have jumped on that opportunity.

A good grounding in stats, however hard to gain, is crucial to later graduate studies. It's worth spending time at the undergrad level to really get the concepts. The individual calculations are less important as you progress, but knowing which tool to use when is crucial.

Others have recommend business stats at SL. I tried sophia but if that wouldn't have worked my next step was either business stats or an online course with a teacher.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Thanks - I took stats at the graduate level twice (changed programs) but it was so long ago I'm not much help to him. I'm going to talk with him today and figure out a plan - I don't want this one thing to hold him back. Business Stats at SL really looks good and I think he'll end up taking that no matter what he decides for Intro to Statistics. I'm just not thrilled with any of the options, and for the cost of Sophia we might as well just go for the AS at Ashworth instead.
I know this post is late but maybe it can still help someone. I took statistics through study.com and I'll let you in on a little secret. The actual test is about 10x easier than what you learn in the videos. The videos were so hard, at least for me. I spent so much time trying to understand them and sometimes I would just move forward even if I didn't think I had a solid understanding. I nervously took the practice test and to my astonishement the questions are rediculously easy. Same with the real test. You'll feel like a 7th grader on the real test.
So that being said, the course itself seems super hard but the actualy exam is not. You can get a good idea of this by taking the final practice exam. I do not know how this course got ACE approval because the real test is so easy it feels borderline unethical. I definitely don't think that this is typical of the study.com courses and I have taken many of them but this one is different. I suppose they could change it in the future so I'll mention that I took it around march of 2017. For reference I got 74% on the practice exam and 77% on the proctored final.
If I were you I would just take the practice test to get a feel for it and then decide if you want to take statistics through study.com or somewhere else.
[-] The following 3 users Like gremlinbrawler's post:
  • allvia, oh.golly.molly, studiousimp
So do I need Business stats and intro to Stats?
(09-20-2017, 08:35 PM)ECH90 Wrote: So do I need Business stats and intro to Stats?

Depends on which school you're going to.  TESU - no, they count as the same thing.  Other schools may have different ways to look at these courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ECH90
(09-20-2017, 08:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 08:35 PM)ECH90 Wrote: So do I need Business stats and intro to Stats?

Depends on which school you're going to.  TESU - no, they count as the same thing.  Other schools may have different ways to look at these courses.

YES tesu I was worried for a moment I passed Aleks Stats and I don't want to take a stats course ever again lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes ECH90's post:
  • quigongene
(09-20-2017, 02:21 PM)gremlinbrawler Wrote: I know this post is late but maybe it can still help someone. I took statistics through study.com and I'll let you in on a little secret. The actual test is about 10x easier than what you learn in the videos. The videos were so hard, at least for me. I spent so much time trying to understand them and sometimes I would just move forward even if I didn't think I had a solid understanding. I nervously took the practice test and to my astonishement the questions are rediculously easy. Same with the real test. You'll feel like a 7th grader on the real test.
So that being said, the course itself seems super hard but the actualy exam is not. You can get a good idea of this by taking the final practice exam. I do not know how this course got ACE approval because the real test is so easy it feels borderline unethical. I definitely don't think that this is typical of the study.com courses and I have taken many of them but this one is different. I suppose they could change it in the future so I'll mention that I took it around march of 2017. For reference I got 74% on the practice exam and 77% on the proctored final.
If I were you I would just take the practice test to get a feel for it and then decide if you want to take statistics through study.com or somewhere else.

I'm hoping this is the case for me because I'm super nervous about taking the exam stats 101 exam with study.com. I too had to watch the videos multiple times to get some of the content.  IDK about the practice test though yet because the quick skim on it I did didn't look like the questions were super easy (to me that is) I'm giving myself a week to study and then fingers crossed this will all be over!

If anyone has any additional updates please let me know.
I will circle back after to let you know a more recent experience with the final.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 8 293 10 hours ago
Last Post: louise
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,567 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,665 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,174 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 773 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 378 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,060 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 608 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 323 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 755 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM