Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Learning vs. Study.com
I am starting a B.S Business Management at WGU and I was wondering whether I should use Sophia or Study.com or both in order to get the most credits out of the way before formally starting my degree. I heard that Study has more courses but Sophia can be done more rapidly. Nevertheless, I was referred here on the premise that you all are quite knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks in advance for any help.
The answer is: both! Use Sophia for as much as possible, then switch to Study.com for the things that Sophia doesn't have.

Study.com limits students to 5 exams in a single month. This can slow students down a lot. Sophia has no such limitation. As soon as you finish one course, you can move on to the next.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-03-2023, 01:40 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The answer is: both! Use Sophia for as much as possible, then switch to Study.com for the things that Sophia doesn't have.

Study.com limits students to 5 exams in a single month. This can slow students down a lot. Sophia has no such limitation. As soon as you finish one course, you can move on to the next.

Awesome, thank you!

Alongside that, with regards to choosing the correct classes to take, I would just reference the email that my counselor sent me with the transfer class list and look up the name directly in Sophia or Study word for word off of the WGU page correct?
(10-03-2023, 12:21 PM)BrotherG Wrote: I am starting a B.S Business Management at WGU and I was wondering whether I should use Sophia or Study.com or both in order to get the most credits out of the way before formally starting my degree. I heard that Study has more courses but Sophia can be done more rapidly. Nevertheless, I was referred here on the premise that you all are quite knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks in advance for any help.

The Business IT Management degree or Finance is the most transfer-friendly
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

You can use the wiki to make your initial degree plan and then verify everything through the WGU partners page
https://partners.wgu.edu/home

For Sophia, they only list the course codes, so you need to cross-reference that with the ACE listing or it can get confusing
https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...65f38bf0e1
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Exactly, I usually recommend the Sophia.org and Study.com combo first, to get the hang of online courses and to max the transfer credit. Your best bet right now is to create a spreadsheet with the requirements of the degree. Using the partners.wgu.edu page, select Sophia.org first and update your spreadsheet with what can transfer, then Study.com do the same, until you can max the credits. If you still have room for transfer, look up Saylor.org, StraighterLine, or anything else that's available inexpensively on their partners.wgu.edu webpage for max transfers.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
both Sophia and Study.com have their own advantages and can be beneficial for your B.S. Business Management program at WGU.

Sophia:

Sophia is open book and a lot faster to knock out geneds.
It offers unlimited courses for $79/month. You can only take two at once, but as soon as you finish one you can enroll in another.
It’s recommended for subjects that you know you can pass with a degree of ease.

Study.com:

Study.com isn’t laid out as well for the content, and is very quiz driven to the end.
It costs $179/month for two classes, but you can pay $70/each per each additional exam (max 3).
If you get 100% on your quizzes (which is very easy), you only need a 55% on the exam to pass the class.

I suggested the following order for efficiency and cost-effectiveness: Saylor, then Sophia, then Study.com
(10-04-2023, 12:20 AM)jax9 Wrote: Study.com:

Study.com isn’t laid out as well for the content, and is very quiz driven to the end.
It costs $179/month for two classes, but you can pay $70/each per each additional exam (max 3).
If you get 100% on your quizzes (which is very easy), you only need a 55% on the exam to pass the class.

I suggested the following order for efficiency and cost-effectiveness: Saylor, then Sophia, then Study.com

Study.com hasn't been $179/mo. for years. They're now $200+ per month. Still a good deal for what you get, but not $179.

I would probably skip Saylor, unless it has a course that isn't offered by either Sophia or Study.com. They're only $5 per exam, but they can take a long time to study if you aren't already familiar with the material.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Max out Sophia first.
Next sdc
(10-04-2023, 02:48 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Max out Sophia first.
Next sdc

(10-04-2023, 02:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Study.com hasn't been $179/mo. for years. They're now $200+ per month. Still a good deal for what you get, but not $179.

I would probably skip Saylor, unless it has a course that isn't offered by either Sophia or Study.com. They're only $5 per exam, but they can take a long time to study if you aren't already familiar with the material.

Exactly what I mentioned, Sophia.org first, Study.com second, then any Saylor.org or StraighterLine classes if there are any missing credits that can be transferred over.

Oh, in regards to the Study.com pricing, the $179 is the 30% coupon code discount for 3 months. You can get that through the sticky thread, it's basically for new students..
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Sophia College of IT no courses anymore? jobojoe285 7 304 04-01-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  How fast (in how many days) can you realistically finish Sophia, etc. or WGU course? whiverem 32 7,625 01-19-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com Math - College Algebra & Statistics Marsbar 11 1,127 12-21-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Marsbar
  Study.com Algebra or WGU? Marsbar 10 969 11-30-2023, 11:50 PM
  Business 324 or 113 study.com for BSBM Marsbar 4 398 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,080 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  WGU announced a new Master of Science in Learning Experience Design and Education GizmoJack 24 4,428 09-08-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Does the study.com OS course (CS 305) cover everything in WGU's OS course (C191 I)? whiverem 6 1,064 06-15-2023, 06:07 PM
  Where can you take courses from study.com that are not longer accepted for CS major? whiverem 11 1,418 06-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,660 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP