Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?)
Hi to the forum again! I'm a few credits into my BA Psych at TESU now, and I'm currently working (self-paced, which is an euphemism for slowly Smile ) through the CSM Learn course. I'm mildly dyscalculic, but this is specific to numbers and formulae -- from a logical/perceptual reasoning point I'm strong. I'm really enjoying this course, given its focus on the latter, and hope to transfer it in soon.

I noticed SeeMore have two "post-CSM" courses available (since their recent reorganization?), Challenge Problems and Technical Math Essentials. Neither seem to be recommended by ACE(/NCCRS), but both are 'more advanced than' CSM and require it as a prerequisite. I'm interested at trying my hand at Challenge Problems once I finish CSM, given its relevance to my area of interest (social science research). It appears to be free for people who've taken CSM, so there's no loss to trying.

What I'm curious about is: has anyone taken these courses and attempted to transfer them for credit, or done so for a similar "college-level but not organizationally recommended" course? I searched a fair amount and didn't see anything. TESU's transfer policies sound to me like they don't have a hard rule against credit that hasn't been ACE/NCCRS recommended, just that it's unlikely. This particular case -- where the courses that haven't been recommended are advanced versions of one that has been -- is something I can't think of a similar example for, and may be an exception to general rules against non-recommended courses. I think I'd benefit from taking Challenge Problems regardless, but it'd be really great if I could get some credit too.
These other courses are not worth credit anywhere that we know of. Non-collegiate sources of credit such as SeeMore must have their courses evaluated for college credit equivalency by a college or a third party. Because the courses have not been reviewed by ACE/NCCRS or a school, they can't be directly used for credit.
Note that courses like these could potentially be used in a PLA credit portfolio. However, for these courses finding an alternate source would likely be much cheaper, easier, and faster.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
That's correct, I would just get the CSM Learn course completed and if you want to fork out $6 or whatever it was to get the High Performance Certificate, that'll work as well. I wouldn't use too much extra time on those extras when they don't generate enough ROI or Value, unless you really want to...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-24-2024, 04:14 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's correct, I would just get the CSM Learn course completed and if you want to fork out $6 or whatever it was to get the High Performance Certificate, that'll work as well.  I wouldn't use too much extra time on those extras when they don't generate enough ROI or Value, unless you really want to...

The element of interest is that it's $0 (and not a certificate, but another course):

[Image: YHhBDxi.png]

This is to say it's strictly beneficial to someone interested in building on CSM skills, because there's no financial outlay if you've already done CSM, and even if it doesn't transfer for credits it could be used to e.g. prep for a course that does.
A rep from CSM previously said that they plan to pursue ACE credit for the technical math course in the future once they finish developing another course. Don't hold your breath on that. They've given no indication that will pursue credit for the challenge courses. As you said, the challenge courses are free/included with the CSM course so feel free to do that for fun or personal enrichment.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
For filling the knowledge and learning gaps, plus it's something you want to take, you don't have much on your plate, and you have the energy/time to get this done, I don't see why not? Having said that, the ROI/Value is what you decide on, some would take it and others would leave it for later, you need to decide your needs/wants and priorities to get them done.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 193 Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,489 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 1,026 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 725 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,226 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,957 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,064 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,112 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 605 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 733 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat