Poll: What should I major in given this situation?
This poll is closed.
MBA for potential management roles
7.69%
1 7.69%
Supply chain/logistics for trucking industry experience
7.69%
1 7.69%
Artificial intelligence for interest/education
15.38%
2 15.38%
Cybersecurity for interest/education
30.77%
4 30.77%
mEd in English as a second language to help fund college/potential early retirement
0%
0 0%
Communications/digital media/etc. due to writing experience/travel anywhere and have a job
0%
0 0%
Something else/none/give up?
38.46%
5 38.46%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go!
Question 
I'm making a poll to see how others would feel in my situation and which degree they would get. Here's a summary of my work experience and education, as well as miscellaneous things:

I have a bit of tech experience working on UpWork. It hosts the portfolio I have from community college. It also hosts some content writing work, which I have far more experience at (content writing as in internet marketing).

I went to community college for IT and ended up getting two AAS degrees. One is concentrated in website management. 

I'm currently a TESU student and will have a bachelor of liberal studies in computer science this year sometime. I have 7 classes left, 2 of which are going to be through Saylor and another 2 through Study.com.

Most of my work experience is tailored towards warehousing and truck driving. I was a commercial truck driver for about 5 years, and was basically a self-employed contractor as a trucker for 4 of them. I still have the LLC I was using on my last truck lease, and had used it for a food/package delivery business most of last year. I'm also forklift certified.

I am an Amazon employee. I actually first started working there while finishing my associate's degree back in 2014. I'm a process assistant but am hoping to get bumped up to assistant manager or area manager soon. I plan on applying for roles like business analyst, supply chain analyst, and some security roles. I could also probably qualify as a driver trainer next year. I was on their TOM team but got transferred to PA because of a car accident from a few years ago. The company I work for has a lot of tech jobs, so a degree in cyber or AI could potentially land me in a different field.

I have an interest in artificial intelligence, cyber security, and teaching English as a second language. The last one is because I want to travel and live outside of the US. I've already traveled over the entire country and to Mexico a few times. I want to retire in another country and my backup plan is to go back to trucking in a few years, save up 100k or so, and go to Asia to retire and work online.

My last issue is that I'm broke and can't qualify for grad loans for another 5 years. I'm about to file chapter 7 bankruptcy and have to wait that long before qualifying. I will be funding this out of pocket or with scholarships/grants.

So in this situation:

My work experience would best suit me for an MBA or a supply chain/logistics degree.
My education would best suit me for a computer science, artificial intelligence, cyber security, etc., degree.
My wanderlust/retirement plan would best work for an m.Ed in TEFL or something like that. I could also qualify for the TEACH grant and get it paid for.

The other issue is which college. I withdrew from WGU to attend TESU and they said I have to get readmitted to go to grad school instead of applying for another degree. This may limit my ability to receive scholarships from them. I am also talking to Lamar.edu, Eastern.edu, Astate.edu, and Upgrad.com for the Liverpool John Moores programs.

The A-State MS in applied digital technology would let me get cyber and AI courses at once, and it's also half MBA, but it is labeled as an MS degree. It would cover a lot of ground and I could probably just get a TEFL cert to teach. I can still work online as a writer and in tech. I'm not sure if that's the right move, though.

Ok, so on a whim I went and applied for a PLUS loan to see if I would qualify and I got approved!!!!

.png   Screenshot from 2023-05-22 23-42-04.png (Size: 66.37 KB / Downloads: 15)

The problem is that I'm planning on filing bankruptcy this year. How will that work? I have already signed the MPN and everything. I know they'll pull another credit check so I'm going to try and rush my bachelor's to finish (unless there's a way to get enrolled before finishing my bachelor's).

I understand that once the bankruptcy gets done that I'll be disqualified for student loans, but it will take 5-6 months for it to go into effect. I'm calling my attorney to get it pushed back to closer to the end of the year, like October, before they begin the filing.

I am worried that I'll get DQed before then, like when they do the next credit pull. Does anyone know anything about that and how that would work? Since I'm already approved, how much of a time frame do I have before they do the next credit pull?

I don't want to F it up but I did have a repossession a few weeks ago that will eventually land on my report. I really have to rush things to qualify before they do the next check, or I'll be back to my current situation. 

I'm considering trying to apply for TEACH now as well to get it at least approved, even if I don't actually go that route.

I did read somewhere it is valid for 180 days, so hopefully that is true. This really saves the day for me since I'm broke as heck right now working 33 hour weeks and studying 4 days a week.
TCC - AAS in Information Technology 2015
TCC - AAS in IT, Website Management 2015
Coursera - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate, April 2023
TESU - Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science (114 out of 120 credit hours)
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
I voted for none.

My major concern is that you're half-assing your bachelor's degree by choosing Liberal Arts with a concentration in CS instead of pursuing the BACS. While this option allows you to avoid discrete math or calculus, the degrees are otherwise similar in terms of rigor.

I don't believe that specific courses or degrees are necessary for every job:
  • For Supply Chain, certifications would be sufficient.
  • Cybersecurity requires certifications.
  • In AI, building a portfolio of projects would be beneficial.
  • Teaching ESL requires actual job experience to receive offers, and a master's degree or TEFL certification is not always required.
There's a popular YouTube video featuring someone who made $378,000 a year as a freelance writer. Since you have experience on Upwork, you're likely familiar with the basics of freelancing. Essentially, once you accumulate a significant number of positive reviews, you can command higher rates and attract more clients. However, making a living as a freelancer is not easy.

Some jobs offer remote work opportunities, which could be a viable option if you're interested in traveling. This could be an alternative if freelancing or other options don't work out.

Pursuing an MBA isn't a bad idea, but I would suggest looking for a program that is both efficient and affordable.

The main issue here is that you're exploring too many different directions simultaneously. I recommend selecting one direction, giving it your full effort, and allowing the idea to either succeed or fail before considering another direction.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-23-2023, 03:19 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I voted for none.

My major concern is that you're half-assing your bachelor's degree by choosing Liberal Arts with a concentration in CS instead of pursuing the BACS. While this option allows you to avoid discrete math or calculus, the degrees are otherwise similar in terms of rigor.

I don't believe that specific courses or degrees are necessary for every job:
  • For Supply Chain, certifications would be sufficient.
  • Cybersecurity requires certifications.
  • In AI, building a portfolio of projects would be beneficial.
  • Teaching ESL requires actual job experience to receive offers, and a master's degree or TEFL certification is not always required.
There's a popular YouTube video featuring someone who made $378,000 a year as a freelance writer. Since you have experience on Upwork, you're likely familiar with the basics of freelancing. Essentially, once you accumulate a significant number of positive reviews, you can command higher rates and attract more clients. However, making a living as a freelancer is not easy.

Some jobs offer remote work opportunities, which could be a viable option if you're interested in traveling. This could be an alternative if freelancing or other options don't work out.

Pursuing an MBA isn't a bad idea, but I would suggest looking for a program that is both efficient and affordable.

The main issue here is that you're exploring too many different directions simultaneously. I recommend selecting one direction, giving it your full effort, and allowing the idea to either succeed or fail before considering another direction.

Thanks for the advice. The reason why I'm doing the liberal studies major is because I can take more IT classes. Instead of taking calculus and discrete math, I'm taking python and artificial intelligence. I'll come back later and do some Study.com math courses to transfer in. Another issue is that I will have to take a bunch of science classes. I would have to take chemistry with lab and biology or something. None of it had anything to do with computer science. Their degree is conferred as a bachelor of arts, not a bachelor of arts in liberal studies. 

With my company, certifications are not sufficient for jobs. They want people to be current or recent grads for internships and jobs. I can probably use my liberal studies degree to become a manager, but I have to have it done or work there for another year and a half in my current role. Certifications would not help.

Cyber does for other companies, but not for this one. They still want a degree. 

I am planning on expanding my portfolio and building one on Github. I just don't have anything to show right now. Taking classes on the subject will give me a foundation to use for project ideas I come up with. I can take homework assignments and turn them into small projects. I have quite a few ideas already but haven't had the time to code them.

Upwork is hard these days to use as a source of employment. I had a remote tech support job through it in 2015. I haven't had a single job through the platform since I came back this year. It's very competitive, but I'm working on doing their in-house certifications to get more jobs. I simply cannot rely on it for a sole source of income. I have access to writing websites that I do currently use as a side gig, but it is also unreliable as the work will dry up for weeks at a time. My old profile landed me tons of jobs back in community college. Now I just get people trying to phish for information.

That's why I was considering A State. Their program is practically an MIS. Half MBA, half specific tech fields. I could do all 4 concentration courses of one field and do 3 of another, so I could do most of the cloud and cybersecurity after doing the AI program or vice-versa. It's also only 10k total, and going will help cover my living expenses so I won't have to work as much while attending.

The other issue with not getting a master's degree is that it limits my growth. Sure, I can go back to trucking, but I'll be just that: a truck driver. I won't qualify to become anything beyond mid-tier management, and I would much rather have a chance to do so.

And as for exploring too many directions, that's just how life worked for me. I applied for a ton of tech jobs after community college. The job application process was too slow and I needed a job. I worked seasonally at Amazon and liked the job. I became a trucker because it pays very well, gave me a place to live, and there were a lot of jobs. I did very well with it and could easily go back into the industry if I wanted to. I just like tech, especially software, security, and AI. I would go to grad school just to have it as a hobby. My job requires a lot of walking and I get a good workout in every day. The benefit of this, besides health, is that I can sit and study without being fidgety. If I worked a full-time tech job that required just sitting all day, I wouldn't ever want to sit and make projects or go to school because I'd be itching to walk around or something like that. I may just stay in operations just for the lifestyle it provides so I can make tech my side thing. I could work on my portfolio, start my own company, work online, whatever, on the side of my main job.
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
You need exactly the same sciences and other Gen Ed courses for a BALS and a BACS at TESU. Exactly the same. The difference is in the Area of Study. And nothing is stopping you from using extra AI/CS classes for the electives or AOS electives.

They both might be awarded as a "Bachelor of Arts", but there is a huge difference in utility between a Bachelor of Arts - Liberal Studies and a Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science. If your interest is in the technical side of things, you're potentially crippling your future job prospects by only getting the BALS instead of the BACS.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, davewill, LevelUP
I didn't vote because what you do next depends on your goals, and those seem unclear. If I did vote I'd probably chose 'something else' vs 'non' or 'give up' - what that 'something else' I'd suggest is find a job with a company that offers some tuition assistance and then decide on a master (that they'll pay for). You said you're an Amazon employee, I thought they offered tuition assistance - so why not go through them for help paying? You're already about to file for bankruptcy - so from a financial point of view you've got no place to go but up; that leaves the question 'what do you want to do?' Recommended reading  'What Color Is Your Parachute?' (try your local library - it's free).

With that said, there is nothing wring with going back to trucking (even if short term, or PT). There is certainly no shame in being a truck driver.  And I'm not sure why you say you would only be able to get to mid tier management in that field, after all you will shortly be a college graduate (check that box!). If management really is something that appeals to you then there is the HAU MBA (still only $3k). It is a RA MBA, and they offer very generous payment options too - and if you can get your employer to reimburse your tuition all the better (I have a family member who did just that).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

@Randyb100, I didn't bother voting, as it'll most likely go toward the 'last option' like LevelUP's choice... My recommendation is to follow your current signature path as that seems like a very doable option. You pretty much know where you want to end up but have some other directions you want to test the water with... It's all good whichever way you go as the journey for everyone is different.

You've got a certain match/mix of certs, degree, experience to place on your belt, these will go towards similar industries you want to get into or extend your knowledge in... You don't have to specifically get a degree with a certain major to get into that field, especially when the industry you're going into are pretty close, from AI, Cybersecurity, IT, etc. Continue using Amazon and their tuition assistance until you finish that Masters...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-23-2023, 04:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You need exactly the same sciences and other Gen Ed courses for a BALS and a BACS at TESU. Exactly the same. The difference is in the Area of Study. And nothing is stopping you from using extra AI/CS classes for the electives or AOS electives.

They both might be awarded as a "Bachelor of Arts", but there is a huge difference in utility between a Bachelor of Arts - Liberal Studies and a Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science. If your interest is in the technical side of things, you're potentially crippling your future job prospects by only getting the BALS instead of the BACS.

Nope. I don't have to take chemistry, biology, or a few more humanities courses. I took the IBM cybersecurity class and now am taking computer architecture, intro to python, software engineering, retaking English 2, then artificial intelligence, data structures, and the capstone, and that's my degree. I will have never taken a higher math than college algebra and will not take ANY science course.

The BALS is not labeled as such. It just just labeled as a bachelor of arts. The company I work for has preference for majors but it's not mandatory. Any degree is a shoe-in for a promotion. At that point, I'll also be in grad school for something more specialized, so I'll end up with a master's in the field of interest. Even with a bachelor of arts, I'm assuming a master's in computer science or something like that will have recruiters overlook the bachelor's in liberal studies.

(05-23-2023, 04:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Randyb100, I didn't bother voting, as it'll most likely go toward the 'last option' like LevelUP's choice... My recommendation is to follow your current signature path as that seems like a very doable option.  You pretty much know where you want to end up but have some other directions you want to test the water with... It's all good whichever way you go as the journey for everyone is different.  

You've got a certain match/mix of certs, degree, experience to place on your belt, these will go towards similar industries you want to get into or extend your knowledge in... You don't have to specifically get a degree with a certain major to get into that field, especially when the industry you're going into are pretty close, from AI, Cybersecurity, IT, etc.  Continue using Amazon and their tuition assistance until you finish that Masters...

They don't give tuition assitance for masters programs, but they will continue giving me $5250 a year at the bachelor level. That means that next year I can always just take whatever classes I need to get a bachelor in computer science and have it completely paid for.

I need to rush into grad school solely because of the loans. It's a now or never deal, with never being 5+ years from now. I can always take a second master's degree later, anyway.

And yeah, I know it's a big mish-mash of skills but that's how the job market is. I wanted to go into tech but couldn't land a decent job. The decent jobs I got were in warehousing and trucking, so I went with that. They required no education, but my education landed me a supervisory role and will potentially land me a manager role. I applied a few days ago for a level 4 assistant manager spot at a warehouse I used to work at, and it doesn't require a bachelor's degree. It'll be 50K+ a year, and that's not bad here. I don't live in SF or NYC so that goes a lot farther. My rent is $1400 a month or so.
(05-23-2023, 05:44 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: I need to rush into grad school solely because of the loans. It's a now or never deal, with never being 5+ years from now.

I would stay away from getting more loans, especially student loans.

Do DoorDash on the side or something, anything but taking out more loans.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • davewill, rachel83az, Vle045
Unless something has changed, student loans do not go away with bankruptcy. (It’s been a long time since I took out student loans). Don’t take out loans. If you are filing bankruptcy, you can’t afford it. Stick to whatever you can have reimbursed or afford out of pocket. Do grad school when you can afford it or if you find an employer that will reimburse it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 3 users Like Vle045's post:
  • davewill, LevelUP, ss20ts
Someone who needs bankruptcy definitely doesn't need an extra undischargable debt. I strongly encourage you to decide what the frick you want to do, and get the BACHELOR'S that helps you do it. Pay for it out of pocket. It seems obvious that you can earn enough to do that by the methods we use here, so do it without debt.

The only time I recommend a Liberal Studies degree is when the person has tons of experience and only needs a degree to check a box for a big promotion. They are nearly useless for starting a new career. You can wave your hands around and try to tell potential employers that it is just the same as a real CS or IT degree but that won't get you interviews.

P.S. Leave grad school for when you are sure you what you want and why...and can afford it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • allvia, rachel83az, ss20ts, Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,330 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,782 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 893 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 927 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 575 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,130 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,701 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 685 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,777 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore