I Do Nothing like this
55.00%
11 55.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Debate or Speech?
Just wondering if anyone here did Debate or Speech events with any national organization, NCFCA, NFCA, etc... If you do do Speech or Debate post how long you have done it.
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
nick94 Wrote:Just wondering if anyone here did Debate or Speech events with any national organization, NCFCA, NFCA, etc... If you do do Speech or Debate post how long you have done it.

NCFCA! I did debate and impromptu speaking. I LOVE impromptu speaking. Big Grin
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
I like to say that I did both.
I did a lot of speeches and debates when I was an Army Recruiter. I did many, many speeches at Universities/Colleges, High Schools, Town Hall meetings, Job Fairs, VIP visits, etc. The debating came in when all the Services came together. I guess I used to debate with the other services as we were all recruiting from the same area, trying to convince people how our service was better.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Oh, I think that counts. I would say real life speaking and debating counts for a lot more than competing in a league. Not to discount competing... it's great experience! But unless you put it into practice in real life, there's not much point. Smile

I got to refresh my impromptu recently... I was at an event and the lady scheduled to speak for the organization I was with was late. So I had about 3 minutes notice to get up and talk. It was fun. Smile
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

bkbarden Wrote:Oh, I think that counts. I would say real life speaking and debating counts for a lot more than competing in a league. Not to discount competing... it's great experience! But unless you put it into practice in real life, there's not much point. Smile

I got to refresh my impromptu recently... I was at an event and the lady scheduled to speak for the organization I was with was late. So I had about 3 minutes notice to get up and talk. It was fun. Smile

That sounds like fun! I cannot wait for the next year of competing to start!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
I just got back from an NCFCA competition. I did debate with NCFCA for four years and speech for five.

It is exhausting but very profitable. I love impromptu as well, bkbarden.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Ruddigore Wrote:I just got back from an NCFCA competition. I did debate with NCFCA for four years and speech for five.

What Region were you with? And what competition did you just go to?
~Brittany

I just realized that I never said that I did speech and debate. :eek:
This was my first year doing Speech and Debate and for those of you who know debate jargon my partner and I did very well. We broke at a tournament and had a 12 wins/12 losses record. If you're wondering I am in California!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
nick94 Wrote:I just realized that I never said that I did speech and debate. :eek:
This was my first year doing Speech and Debate and for those of you who know debate jargon my partner and I did very well. We broke at a tournament and had a 12 wins/12 losses record. If you're wondering I am in California!

That's great! Congratulations. Smile That's an awful lot of rounds... 24??? Must have been a big tournament. Or was that ballots? Smile
~Brittany

bkbarden Wrote:That's great! Congratulations. Smile That's an awful lot of rounds... 24??? Must have been a big tournament. Or was that ballots? Smile

Sorry for the confusion, bad placement of that sentence. I meant 24 rounds all year.
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,592 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  2019's Worst Colleges for Freedom of Speech sanantone 16 3,574 09-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  The Great Debate - Free College For All SweetSecret 55 7,578 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  ADD/ADHD Poll LaterBloomer 18 1,836 10-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Last Post: mobiusbox
  I'm giving a speech today about CLEP Bibby 3 1,133 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  ebooks txt 2 speech app ffdpsoldier 0 787 07-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Last Post: ffdpsoldier
  Exit Speech Maniac Craniac 33 5,548 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Last Post: CollegeStudent7
  how do you post a poll on this forum? nj593 2 870 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Last Post: nj593
  Age/Degree Poll Farmerboy 44 7,179 10-09-2009, 11:07 PM