Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, so I was wrong. I admit it.
In another thread, I said that my B&M university's cap of 30 credits for CLEP was fair enough, blah, blah, blah.

Well, I was wrong.

I just realized that I overlooked the fact that at my new university(transferred) I am required to have nine hours in science, not six like at my last school. At my last school I CLEPed out of six hours of History. I already had six history credits and I only needed to CLEP one more class, but I didn't anticipate CLEPing anything else besides College Math, so I said, "What the heck?"

Now it came back to potentially haunt me. I had planned to CLEP Biology, English Lit., and College Math for my last eighteen credits and be done with all of my core creds except for Philosophy. Now, I am stuck with six credits that I don't need because my new school only requires three history credits, which I could have used for the Natural Sciences Exam.

So, here is my question: Do you think I could pick and choose which CLEP credits to use toward my degree? I know I will have to talk to my school Monday, but the weekend is a long time to stew over this and I was hoping to get some opinions on the matter. Common sense tells me that if I have 36 CLEP credits and 6 of them are not needed for my degree, then they would only accept the 30 which could be applied toward my degree. Also, I think now is a good time to mention that if I can drop the science class I'm enrolled in without ill effect(school starts Monday and that's the last day), then I can save myself $150 on a special university imprint text, which is what got me investigating the science requirements in the first place.

I am a worrier by nature and would really appreciate some opinions on the matter, if only just to get me through the weekend.Sad
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I just realized I posted this in Off Topic like an idiot. I guess I figured that since it wasn't exam specific it was off topic.

It's late, and I'm losing my mind, sorry.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
If you have any extra credits that don't go towards your general requirements, put them towards (drum roll) electives! That way, the extra history credits will still be applied to your degree -- your work will not have been in vain.

Hope your college doesn't make things too dificult for you. It's a good thing you're finding this out now rather than later...
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
So, here is my question: Do you think I could pick and choose which CLEP credits to use toward my degree? >>

Yes, talk to your advisor, but yes this is what they will do. You can take CLEPs till the cows come home- take 10 more, but your school's policy is to only take 30.
The tricky-sticky part will be if you already had them transcript those credits. At my college, we charge a fee to put them on, which means they were evaluated. I think if they were evaluated, you might have more paperwork to do.
That's good to know. I will ask Monday if they were evaluated or not, though nothing was mentioned and I was not charged a fee.

I honestly think it will be okay, it just caught me off guard here at the last minute. I had to change my plans and I freaked out a bit. Not to mention it really is ridiculous to have a cap that low.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
I concur it is ridiculous to have a cap that low, my local cc has the same cap of 30 hours. Good luck on Monday.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If I'm at the right place, could be at the wrong time right? 29palms 0 844 09-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: 29palms
  something is wrong! STG 2 1,012 07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Last Post: scorched
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Addicted2Extreme 31 7,125 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Last Post: kimaya24
  What am I doing wrong? P00057870 20 2,448 01-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Last Post: taylor