Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information Technology major with a concentration on game development
(08-31-2023, 08:13 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Discrete Mathematics at Study.com involves relatively simple algebraic concepts, and the course allows you to use a calculator for problem-solving. You'll need to memorize around 10 mathematical formulas, and with this preparation, you should be well-prepared for the math section, which constitutes only about 25% of the exam. The remaining portion involves understanding various concepts. This course typically takes approximately 20-40 hours to complete. Failing Discrete Mathematics three times is highly unlikely.

We've received excellent feedback on the PUG IT degree program. Many students have achieved nearly straight A's and managed to complete the program in just two terms, especially after transferring in a substantial number of credits. Be prepared for a substantial amount of writing and presentation work, including PowerPoints.

However, it's worth noting that some individuals have found the Software Development courses to be challenging, so transferring credits for those courses is recommended. As for a Game Development concentration, the difficulty might depend on your programming experience. The IT management concentration is often considered the easiest option.

Follow the degree plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

(08-31-2023, 08:05 PM)Kalas Wrote: Have you taken any development classes? It sounds fun until you actually have to do it and have your programs compile.

Based on that course list it looks like you really wouldn't know enough to be a developer or a useful IT guy on the network/systems side of things. It doesn't even have a data structures and algorithms class. Either get a proper IT degree or a real computer science/software engineering degree. This is more like two associates degrees than a bachelor's. I'd hire someone with a couple relevant certifications before I'd hire anyone with this degree.

If you want to be a game dev you'll learn more game development skills at gamedev.tv than you will in those courses. There's no C++ so you can't even begin to touch Unreal. The Javascript courses may or may not give you anything that would actually be useful in something like RPG Maker that allows further customization with JS. At a minimum you'd need pixel art and CG drawing skills to create something you could sell with RPGM or another engine that is equally simple. You wouldn't be hired for a job to do that though, that's putting a year+ of your life into a game, listing it on Steam and hoping enough people buy it so you end up with minimum wage for the time you put into it a couple years after release. Statistically speaking, that is not most people. Unity uses C# so that's good, but there's a lot more to making a game with Unity anyone would want to play than just C#.

I'm very concerned about the lack of math in that degree path. How do you not have to take calc 1?!?! It's legitimately needed in a lot of development in general, but especially in game development that goes beyond the simplest projects or game makers no commercial company would use. No statistics either. That's insane. I am by no means an expert dev, but if you're afraid of discrete math (easier than calc) there is a very good chance that anything in development (especially game development, far more competitive and difficult to break into) will be a hobby and you'll never get to the point of being employable.

I would strongly suggest auditing a calc, stats and discrete math class at edX to start getting better at math if you want to make a go of it as a developer.

Keep in mind that you have the option to tailor your degree plan according to your preferences. This is particularly convenient if you have some elective slots available.

For instance, you could choose to study Calculus instead of College Algebra.

Study.com has a C+ course. That's a possibility to consider. Additionally, it's advisable to include Python from Sophia in your coursework. Furthermore, you can take a Data Structures course.

Remember, you can acquire game development skills independently of your college curriculum, and the strength of your portfolio could become a significant factor if you're aiming for a job in that field.

Regarding software development in general, it demands a substantial amount of knowledge. Anticipate dedicating 3-6 months after completing college to gain the skills required for employability.

Both IT and Computer Science offer an array of diverse paths to explore.
That's excellent news. DO you mind pointing me to the reviews that said that students have achieved straight A's in the degree program?
(02-27-2024, 02:07 PM)purduestudent Wrote: That's excellent news. DO you mind pointing me to the reviews that said that students have achieved straight A's in the [PUG IT] degree program?

In PUG ExcelTrack, just based on how it's set up, As and Fs account for maybe 95%+ of the module grades given out...and any module with an F grade can be resubmitted for a re-grade (or multiple re-grades) before the end of the term. Basically, meet the rubric correctly, get an A.

For BSIT, I had 44 module courses. Roughly 39 I got an A with the first submission. Four more I didn't meet something in the grading rubric to the professor's satisfaction (usually because there was a mismatch between the rubric and the assignment instructions) and got an F...but after a resubmission it was revised to an A. One I got a B, which you are NOT allowed to resubmit for an A. So with my A in the capstone (regular track for everyone), I ended with a 3.98 GPA.

For MSIT, I had 28 module courses, and it was basically the same thing, except without the B. So assuming I get an A in the capstone (at 98% so far), I'll end up with a 4.00.

None of this applies to PUG regular track, which is graded like any normal college class.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
[-] The following 3 users Like walruspanda's post:
  • jch, Jonathan Whatley, purduestudent
(02-27-2024, 03:55 PM)walruspanda Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 02:07 PM)purduestudent Wrote: That's excellent news. DO you mind pointing me to the reviews that said that students have achieved straight A's in the [PUG IT] degree program?

In PUG ExcelTrack, just based on how it's set up, As and Fs account for maybe 95%+ of the module grades given out...and any module with an F grade can be resubmitted for a re-grade (or multiple re-grades) before the end of the term. Basically, meet the rubric correctly, get an A.

For BSIT, I had 44 module courses. Roughly 39 I got an A with the first submission. Four more I didn't meet something in the grading rubric to the professor's satisfaction (usually because there was a mismatch between the rubric and the assignment instructions) and got an F...but after a resubmission it was revised to an A. One I got a B, which you are NOT allowed to resubmit for an A. So with my A in the capstone (regular track for everyone), I ended with a 3.98 GPA.

For MSIT, I had 28 module courses, and it was basically the same thing, except without the B. So assuming I get an A in the capstone (at 98% so far), I'll end up with a 4.00.

None of this applies to PUG regular track, which is graded like any normal college class.
Great job man! Congratulations! How did you do in discrete mathematics if I may ask?
For discrete math, I had previous credit for it from a B&M college, so I didn't end up taking it at PUG.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,563 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
Question New to the game: PUG questions housecat 15 1,108 02-19-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: housecat
Question Does PUG diploma show concentration? bornsupercharged 1 414 01-12-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 438 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects pluggingalong 13 1,380 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,952 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Changing career to software development? Jwheels27 23 1,944 07-20-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Jwheels27
  Illinois Institue of Technology - Coursera (Illinois Tech IIT) bext 1 905 07-12-2023, 02:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,461 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  PennWest California AS Technical Studies & BS Science & Technology Multidisciplinary Jonathan Whatley 7 1,251 03-24-2022, 06:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore