Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HIS-1010 / Western Civ. 1 at TESU
Hello! I currently am enrolled at TESU and had originally failed the class about 2 years ago. Since then I have taken more classes but have not retaken this one. I am trying to apply for a program within the Army by the end of July but it requires my GPA to be a bit higher than what it is now. I have also maxed out my 90 non-traditional credit transfers. The next available class at TESU for HIS-1010 starts in June so it's not feasible for me to take that class. I am trying to avoid taking the CLEP since I already have those 90 hours, does anyone know of any school that offers this class on an accelerated manner? I would like to have a letter grade and be able to complete the class within a month if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
University of North Dakota has it:
https://und.edu/academics/online/enroll-...st101.html

You can also find at ASU universal learner but not sure if it’s quick enough for your need: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/european-and-...n-hst-102/

$425
In progress: HAU MBA (5/6th done so far) Completed: BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Where did you get your graded RA credits from? As I mentioned in your previous thread, the addendum and template is missing.  I recommended Excelsior, TESU, UMPI as options, where as most in the thread recommended UMPI only. Your previous thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...rom-Sophia

TESU: Call advising and if you get a rejection, escalate to the Registrar to see if you can register for May as it just started.  TECEP list for residency purposes if you need more credits at TESU, up to 18 credits from TECEP, then the cornerstone & capstone to finish your degree: https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php

May 2024 Term
Course registration: Mar. 29 - Apr. 26, 2024
Late Registration: Apr. 27 - May 3, 2024
Term Start Date: May 6, 2024
Deadline for 100% tuition refund: May 5, 2024
Deadline for 75% tuition refund: May 12, 2024
Deadline for 50% tuition refund: May 19, 2024
Deadline for 25% tuition refund: May 26, 2024
Midterm exam week for select 12 week courses: June 17 - June 23, 2024
Final exam week for select courses July 22 - July 28, 2024
Term ends: July 28, 2024
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hey bjcheung! You are absolutely right, here is what I owe:

Degree Wanted?: BA in History

Regional Accredited Credits:

TESU:
SOS-1100 - Critical Information Literacy, 0, F (2021)
HIS-1010 - Western Civilization 1, 0, F (2022)
SOS-1100 - Fact, Fiction, or Fake?, 3, A (2024)
TOTAL CREDITS: 3

Arizona State University:
CIS-194 - BUS TECH FUND, 1, A, ASU (2024)
TOTAL CREDITS: 1

Combined total: 4 Credits

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia Learning: (All completed between 2020 and 2024)
BUS1010 - FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING, 3
PHIL1001 - ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHERS, 3
VISCOMM1001 - VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS, 3
ENVS1001 - ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, 3
BUS1200 - DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE TEAMS, 1
ECON1002 - MICROECONOMICS, 3
PSY1001 - INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY, 3
REL1001 - APPROACHES TO STUDYING RELIGIONS, 3
CONRES1000 - THE ESSENTIALS OF MANAGING CONFLICT, 1
PM1001 - PROJECT MANAGEMENT, 3
CS1001 - INTRODUCTION TO INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, 3
ARTHIST1001 - ART HISTORY 1, 3
BUS1001 - INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS, 3
CA1001 - COLLEGE ALGEBRA, 3
STAT1001 - INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS, 3
ENG1001 - ENGLISH COMPOSITION 1, 3
HIST1001 - U.S. HISTORY 1, 3
HIST1002 - U.S. HISTORY 2, 3
COMM1002 - PUBLIC SPEAKING, 3
HIS1020 - U.S. GOVERNMENT, 3
SOCI1010 - INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY: EMBRACING DIVERSITY AND COLLABORATION, 3
ECON1001 - MACROECONOMICS, 3
ENG1002 - ENGLISH COMPOSITION II, 3
HIST1010 - TOPICS IN U.S. HISTORY: LEARN FROM THE PAST, PREPARE FOR THE FUTURE, 3
TOTAL CREDITS: 71

Military Credits transferred to TESU:
HRM-210 - HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT, 3
HRM-2150 - HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT, 3
HRM-231 - HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (OTH), 3
MAN-201 - MANAGEMENT, 3
MAN-203 - MANAGEMENT, 3
MAN-210 - MANAGEMENT, 3
COM-108 - FUND OF SPEECH, 3
COM-1080 - SPEECH, 3
AOJ-114 - PHYSICAL TRAINING, 1
HEA-195 - HEALTH, 2
MSC-131 - MISC., 1
MSC-140 - MISC., 1
PEA-199 - PHYS. ACT., 1
TOTAL CREDITS: 30

Combined Total Credits: 4 RA (Need to get rid of the F for West. Civ 1), 91 Non-traditional.

Any certifications or military experience? Yes, Active Duty Army.

Addendum:

Budget: Ideally as cheap as possible, but will do what I need to.
Commitments: Full Time military, occasional travel or field duty that limits computer use
Dedicated time to study: 1-2 hours a night
Timeline: As fast as possible.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, Army TA.

I am back on track after battling my laziness and am gearing towards finally doing what I need to do to accomplish my degree. My apologies for being late on the template and addendum. I asked my advisor already about TECEP and he said there is not one available for HIS-1010. I asked and even researched classes to enroll to for May but the next one starts in June. I am already enrolled in HIS-1020, which started this past Friday. That is the one starting in May, unfortunately. I can take the CLEP for this, which would overwrite my F, but I would like to avoid that since I've already completed the 90 credit transfer.
@picochily, That settles it... You must take the class at TESU to bump up your GPA and that's all you should take at TESU. If you are planning to do the degree at TSEU instead of UMPI, you should really take the time to do the TECEPs, do the 'easier' ones so you can get the 24 residency credits. If you do the class, you would have 6 residency credits at TESU. You just need to do 18 more credits, and the capstone to finish off the degree... I highly suggest skipping the BA History in favor of a BALS with a concentration or without a concentration instead as the requirements are similar but easier to complete using alternative credits.

(05-05-2024, 02:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @picochily, That settles it... You must take the class at TESU to bump up your GPA and that's all you should take at TESU.  If you are planning to do the degree at TSEU instead of UMPI, you should really take the time to do the TECEPs, do the 'easier' ones so you can get the 24 residency credits.  If you do the class, you would have 6 residency credits at TESU.  You just need to do 18 more credits, and the capstone to finish off the degree... I highly suggest skipping the BA History in favor of a BALS with a concentration or without a concentration instead as the requirements are similar but easier to complete using alternative credits.
I see. So once I take this class, are you suggesting that I can fulfill my remaining degree requirements using TECEP minus the capstone if I choose a BALS? The last time I looked at TECEPs, it seemed like they were all for Gen Eds which I already have completed. I'll look again...I guess I am seeking clarity on if I take the BALS with my 90 non-RA courses, and I already have SOS-1100, Can I essentially finish my degree + capstone more quickly? That is ultimately my goal.
All the classes you have will go into general education and electives, you've got 90 credits right there, you will do 30 credits for the 'major'. Basically, you only need 18 UL Liberal Studies and the Capstone, the rest can be all lower level Liberal Studies classes: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies - One thing to note, I've mentioned before, it's best to TECEP even if it 'overrides' one or more of your general education or electives, this is because it will get you residency credits, the ACE/NCCRS options will not.

(05-05-2024, 04:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: All the classes you have will go into general education and electives, you've got 90 credits right there, you will do 30 credits for the 'major'. Basically, you only need 18 UL Liberal Studies and the Capstone, the rest can be all lower level Liberal Studies classes: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies - One thing to note, I've mentioned before, it's best to TECEP even if it 'overrides' one or more of your general education or electives, this is because it will get you residency credits, the ACE/NCCRS options will not.
I understand now, sorry to ask more questions but what exactly is the advantage of making those credits residency as opposed to not?
Advantage is the cost, ease, speed to finish this, and not only that, it's more suited for you as you've only got 1-2 hours/day to work on your studies. TECEP's are exams, you prepare on your own time and take the proctored exam online when you're ready. I would take the easiest 100 level classes you can think of with the TECEPs. If you want to review the cost, I mentioned that in your previous thread last year, TECEPs, corner & capstone, grad fee Total: $2734... The residency waiver fee is already $3,354, if you take 15 credits all in one term for flat rate, it's $4,299 but you'll have no time to study.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Oregon University Adopts New Grading System LevelUP 13 997 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 646 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 470 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,150 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,186 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,536 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 2,023 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,386 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,449 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  "My Valuable, Cheap College Degree" from Athur Brooks, TESU grad now Harvard Prof mahaganapati 10 2,874 12-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77