Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate transfer credits
Hi guys. A lot of online universities allow the transfer of up to 50% credits for graduate programs.
I am familiar with the options for undergrad (study.com / sophia.org ...), but how do people benefit from transferring credits at the graduate level? Are there institutions that are commonly used to "farm" graduate credits and then take the transcript to complete the degree somewhere else? Does anyone have experience with this?
ACE/NCCRS have limited options, it really depends what you're trying to do. An example is someone wanting to do a degree at Amberton, they can transfer in VESI classes.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Wow VESI looks cool, I didn't know them.

I want to do a finance (or maybe business) related master and I liked the way that transfer credits could reduce costs at the undergraduate level. So I just wondered, if similar methods can be used at the graduate level in order to lower costs, since many universities advertise "transfer up to x credits" I wondered if that is actually useful in any way or if students came up with some way to use it.
(12-10-2023, 01:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ACE/NCCRS have limited options, it really depends what you're trying to do.  An example is someone wanting to do a degree at Amberton, they can transfer in VESI classes.

Those courses don't apply to most of the grad degrees at Amberton though. The transfer courses have to be a course that's required for your degree. They work for the MA in Professional Development as that degree has general elective credit openings. Courses must also be 3 credits as Amberton only accepts 3 credit courses. 

I've transferred as a grad student and it's tricky. Some schools are very picky. The OP says that most online schools allow for up to 50% transfer credit as a grad student and I haven't found that to be the case. There's definitely a lower limit from most schools than 50% in grad programs - usually much lower. They're also REALLY picky and want the courses to pretty much be the exact same. There's often an age limit of 5 years as well.
@David1477, those VESI do look interesting, but because you haven't indicate what fields you're looking for the Masters, it should be better if you provide more details as you did your previous thread when asked for the addendum/template. The more we know what you want to do at the Masters level (which degree for example the MAOL, MBA, whatever it may be), we can then provide you options and routes you may want to take, be it CBE or not...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
For me, the transfer credits are useful when you can grab a class at another school for a lower cost.

For instance, through perkspot (which some people have through their employer, alumni association, etc), there is an offer to try a course at DeVry for free. (Plus about $100 in fees). I chose a course that fit into my program, and grabbed it for $100 total. (My usual cost for one course is $1312.50). So this one course saved me about $1200.

There are also courses available at ace.edu. This is a college, not the ACE credits you can do for undergrad. Since they offer an MBA degree, it is possible to get a slightly lower cost course you can transfer elsewhere. You can enroll as a “student at large” to grab these classes. They may or may not be less expensive, depending on where you are planning to get your degree.

Another possibility that I have considered is either Waldorf or Columbia Southern. Since i have inquired with them in the past, sometimes I get emails for 50% off your first course.

There’s also the 100 million learners certificate through ASU’s thunderbird school. This is the LONG way to get free graduate credits. You have to finish ALL five courses for the certificate. I don’t think all the courses have been rolled out yet. (Almost). If you finish the certificate, there could be at least some you can transfer elsewhere, if you choose to get it transcripted for a “small fee”. No one knows what that fee is going to be yet.

(12-10-2023, 03:40 PM)David1477 Wrote: Wow VESI looks cool, I didn't know them.

I want to do a finance (or maybe business) related master and I liked the way that transfer credits could reduce costs at the undergraduate level. So I just wondered, if similar methods can be used at the graduate level in order to lower costs, since many universities advertise "transfer up to x credits" I wondered if that is actually useful in any way or if students came up with some way to use it.

I do not recommend VESI unless you are a teacher working on getting your Master’s degree.  The courses are designed as Professional Development and can be applied to a graduate degree in Education, but you do need to select a school/institution where you plan to transfer.  The cost will vary based on the institution that you choose.  For instance, when I choose Ohio, I can choose one of the ESC’s which will cost about $200, but when I choose a college, it might cost $600, depending on the school.  An ESC is not a college.  It’s an Educational Service Center.  They provide a variety of services to school districts, including Human Resources, Professional Development and Technological Support, just to name a few. (I work in public schools in Ohio).  Not only that, but as someone else stated, those courses wouldn’t fit into a lot of other degrees unless there’s room for general electives..
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • David1477, ss20ts
Thanks a lot! The options you listed are exactly what I was looking for. You helped me very much!
The final course for the graduate level 100 Million Learners initiative is now available, so all 5 courses are now open.
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(02-22-2024, 10:03 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: The final course for the graduate level 100 Million Learners initiative is now available, so all 5 courses are now open.

What is the name of this grad certificate. I’ve been looking through the site and I haven’t been able to find any “free” ones. The grad certificates I have seen are all over 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(03-03-2024, 01:54 PM)hdwilliams Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 10:03 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: The final course for the graduate level 100 Million Learners initiative is now available, so all 5 courses are now open.

What is the name of this grad certificate. I’ve been looking through the site and I haven’t been able to find any “free” ones. The grad certificates I have seen are all over 1000.

It is free, here: https://thunderbird.asu.edu/lifelong-lea...n-learners
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tomas's post:
  • hdwilliams

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 13 337 04-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 31 25,763 04-25-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 16,193 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,163 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,804 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,878 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 415 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,873 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 709 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,698 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77