Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden Student Loan Plan
(02-15-2021, 10:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Probably because, in order to attend school while working only part-time, they came from extremely rich and privileged backgrounds. If you get everything handed to you, you're not going to have a very good work ethic once you graduate. So, yes, if you have money, then working part-time through college may be helpful. If you are a first-generation college student whose parents just barely break even and who can't even give you money for food, your outcome is going to be drastically different.

It depends on your definition of rich.  I am going with anyone upper-middle class or higher (you can't put a dollar amount because where you live changes what's considered rich or UMC in your area).  So not super-wealthy millionaires.  This is how I grew up, and how my kids are growing up.  

All of your premises are just wrong.  "Rich" parents are VERY likely to make their kids work, and at crappy jobs too.  Go to your local fast-food restaurant, at least 50% of those kids will be from a good family and parents who have money.  Every "rich" kid I know has worked.  Those parents know the value of hard work, and making their kid pay for their cars or whatever is what they do.  You can look at celebrities as well - many of them make their kids work.  Many people with trusts don't give the money to their kids at 18 - they make them wait until they're 30 or 40, so they have to work and earn their own way for a long time before the big "payoff."

You're only looking from one angle and think that gives you insight to everyone.  I KNOW not everyone is lucky enough to have it as good as I do, or my kids do. But I don't assume things about poor people and automatically apply it to everyone.  You assume all kinds of things about "rich" people that simply aren't true.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
In B&M schools a large number of students were foreign students and they needed to have a sponsor, had to attend full time and were asked not to work while they are on student visas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seagull's post:
  • rachel83az
(02-15-2021, 11:00 AM)ss20ts Wrote: When Jon Bon Jovi started sending his kids off to college, he learned about food poverty and how it impacts college students. It hit him in such a way that he opened a FREE restaurant on a Rutgers University campus. The college students there are allowed to get free meals if they can't afford to pay. They repay the restaurant by working there - doing dishes, making food, prepping food, cleaning, etc. He has opened up a few of these restaurants in New Jersey. The students there say this made a huge impact on their lives and they know they don't have to go hungry like many college students do. They get an actual healthy meal too. Not a container of Ramen or microwave mac & cheese. If this guy who is a multimillionaire can see this problem, why can't people on here?

That's amazingly cool of him. I had no idea he did that. I'm not a fan of his (don't hate him or anything, I just don't listen to his music) but it makes me want to buy all of his albums anyway. It's too bad that this isn't really a thing elsewhere. I know Arizona State University has an issue with students who are literally homeless and living out of their cars while trying to attend school. They have a food pantry of some sort on-campus, IIRC. Not sure that's enough, though.

(02-15-2021, 11:30 AM)dfrecore Wrote: It depends on your definition of rich.  I am going with anyone upper-middle class or higher (you can't put a dollar amount because where you live changes what's considered rich or UMC in your area).  So not super-wealthy millionaires.  This is how I grew up, and how my kids are growing up.  

All of your premises are just wrong.  "Rich" parents are VERY likely to make their kids work, and at crappy jobs too.  Go to your local fast-food restaurant, at least 50% of those kids will be from a good family and parents who have money.  Every "rich" kid I know has worked.  Those parents know the value of hard work, and making their kid pay for their cars or whatever is what they do.  You can look at celebrities as well - many of them make their kids work.  Many people with trusts don't give the money to their kids at 18 - they make them wait until they're 30 or 40, so they have to work and earn their own way for a long time before the big "payoff."

You're only looking from one angle and think that gives you insight to everyone.  I KNOW not everyone is lucky enough to have it as good as I do, or my kids do. But I don't assume things about poor people and automatically apply it to everyone.  You assume all kinds of things about "rich" people that simply aren't true.

But you are assuming that it's possible to avoid student loans by simply "working through college". If you can avoid loans by working part-time, you are privileged. End of story.

When I first joined this forum, I couldn't even afford to pay for CLEP exams because every cent I made went into supporting myself. ModernStates either wasn't a thing or else I couldn't afford to take time off work to schedule the necessary exams (I cannot recall which). Even Shmoop was expensive for my budget.

I may not have the best grasp on how "rich" people live but you have literally no idea what poor people who want to get a degree have to do to survive.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-15-2021, 12:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 11:00 AM)ss20ts Wrote: When Jon Bon Jovi started sending his kids off to college, he learned about food poverty and how it impacts college students. It hit him in such a way that he opened a FREE restaurant on a Rutgers University campus. The college students there are allowed to get free meals if they can't afford to pay. They repay the restaurant by working there - doing dishes, making food, prepping food, cleaning, etc. He has opened up a few of these restaurants in New Jersey. The students there say this made a huge impact on their lives and they know they don't have to go hungry like many college students do. They get an actual healthy meal too. Not a container of Ramen or microwave mac & cheese. If this guy who is a multimillionaire can see this problem, why can't people on here?

That's amazingly cool of him. I had no idea he did that. I'm not a fan of his (don't hate him or anything, I just don't listen to his music) but it makes me want to buy all of his albums anyway. It's too bad that this isn't really a thing elsewhere. I know Arizona State University has an issue with students who are literally homeless and living out of their cars while trying to attend school. They have a food pantry of some sort on-campus, IIRC. Not sure that's enough, though.

(02-15-2021, 11:30 AM)dfrecore Wrote: It depends on your definition of rich.  I am going with anyone upper-middle class or higher (you can't put a dollar amount because where you live changes what's considered rich or UMC in your area).  So not super-wealthy millionaires.  This is how I grew up, and how my kids are growing up.  

But you are assuming that it's possible to avoid student loans by simply "working through college". If you can avoid loans by working part-time, you are privileged. End of story.

When I first joined this forum, I couldn't even afford to pay for CLEP exams because every cent I made went into supporting myself. ModernStates either wasn't a thing or else I couldn't afford to take time off work to schedule the necessary exams (I cannot recall which). Even Shmoop was expensive for my budget.

I may not have the best grasp on how "rich" people live but you have literally no idea what poor people who want to get a degree have to do to survive.

Yes, I am assuming that you can avoid student loans, because there are ways to do it.  My kid works at Papa John's who will pay 100% of her college (she's not going that route fully, but it's an option).  Several kids at her job are taking advantage of this.  I know kids who specifically got jobs at Starbucks and Walmart to be able to take advantage of tuition payment programs.  I also know kids who joined the military (including reserves) to be able to go to school.  I know many who opted to stay put and go to CC or the local 4yr rather than go away simply because they didn't want to take out loans, or their parents wouldn't let them.  It IS possible to figure out how to pay for college for many people.

I admit that I don't necessarily know what poor people have to do to survive - but I don't attribute that to "ALL poor people XYZ."  Yes, I'm sure SOME people are so poor that they can't think of anything else but feeding and clothing and housing themselves, and school is not an option.  Or wouldn't be without loans I guess.  But I don't think this is the vast majority.  I was not poor, but I went to college on a scholarship, and got a job in the cafeteria so that I could eat on the weekends for free (we got to take food home on Friday afternoons when the place cleared out).  I wouldn't have starved, but it sure was nice not to have to worry.  I think I worked 10-12 hours a week, and it was my 2nd job.

Also, many poor people qualify for grants, that middle+ income people just don't.  Many of the lower-income kids I know didn't spend 5 minutes thinking about where to go to school because they were able to go anywhere they wanted - it was all paid for.  There are tons of scholarships that are need-based that school counselors helped them with, in addition to state and federal grants.  The middle+ income kids were much more worried about HOW they were going to afford things (or they weren't, which is more troublesome I think).

All I'm saying is that there ARE ways to make college affordable, and many people do find ways to do so.  By affordable, I mean they either choose wisely, get grants, work, or otherwise make it so that the school they go to is one they can afford.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • BadBradsBBQ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 397 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DOJ says that Biden can't even remember when he was vice president LevelUP 5 562 02-10-2024, 10:14 AM
  Netflix kills off cheapest no-ads plan in the U.S. and U.K. LevelUP 3 501 07-21-2023, 01:29 PM
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,633 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 769 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 613 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,311 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 458 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 748 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,072 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts