Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread
Hello everyone! I'm posting this here. This is meant to be a master thread for the Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan that will be announced at 2:15 Eastern Standard Time for American students. This is a significant amount of student loan forgiveness that will be for Pell Grant recipients and non-recipients, which will effect the vast majority of DegreeForum. 

Please keep all comments relating to this plan in this thread. Please be respectful of other people's beliefs. 

[Image: h82Eee.png]
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Wish this could apply to new loans too lol
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • ashkir
People think that the President of the United States has the power for debt forgiveness. He does not!!!

Suppose your child just decided they, at this time, did not want to go to college but you’re paying taxes to forgive somebody else’s obligations. You may not be happy about that!!!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • ashkir, bluebooger, Marcus Aurelius
(08-24-2022, 11:49 AM)mohelena02 Wrote: Wish this could apply to new loans too lol

I was really hoping there would be permanent loan interest rate changes.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 5 users Like ashkir's post:
  • LevelUP, MNomadic, mohelena02, origamishuttle, ss20ts
(08-24-2022, 11:53 AM)LevelUP Wrote: People think that the President of the United States has the power for debt forgiveness. He does not!!!

Suppose your child just decided they, at this time, did not want to go to college but you’re paying taxes to forgive somebody else’s obligations. You may not be happy about that!!!

No need for the bold, supersized font. You don't need to yell at people on here. 

Plenty of things are paid for with my tax dollars that I dislike. That's called life. For many student loan holders, the interest far exceeds the amount of the loans.

(08-24-2022, 11:55 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 11:49 AM)mohelena02 Wrote: Wish this could apply to new loans too lol

I was really hoping there would be permanent loan interest rate changes.

This is what we REALLY need! There are federal loans at almost 9%!! the government should not be making 2, 3 4 times the loans in interest. The interest is what is crippling most borrowers.
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • frankc, harrypotter, rachel83az, SteveFoerster
Politics aside, I'm wondering what the cutoff date on this forgiving plan is. Before covid? 6/30? Today?
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

Clearly, not everyone is happy about this type of loan forgiveness program.  Some think it's too much, some think it's not enough.  I think the loan forgiveness is probably helpful for a lot of people but I hope they don't stop there.  The whole system needs overhauling and this would be a good time to do it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Alpha's post:
  • carrythenothing, rachel83az, ss20ts
(08-24-2022, 12:54 PM)frankc Wrote: Politics aside, I'm wondering what the cutoff date on this forgiving plan is. Before covid? 6/30? Today?

"Current students would only be eligible for relief if their loans were originated before July 1, 2022." according to this article.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 2 users Like mohelena02's post:
  • ss20ts, Vle045
I'm curious how far back the PELL Grant awards can go...or is it if you where ever awarded a PELL Grant (in any amount, they don't say it has to be a full grant award).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-24-2022, 12:56 PM)Alpha Wrote: Clearly, not everyone is happy about this type of loan forgiveness program.  Some think it's too much, some think it's not enough.  I think the loan forgiveness is probably helpful for a lot of people but I hope they don't stop there.  The whole system needs overhauling and this would be a good time to do it.

This would have been the only time to do it, since it seems likely that Republicans are about to retake the House and this is not exactly an era of bipartisanship. But all the momentum on this has been on loan forgiveness via executive order rather than a legislative overhaul. Oh well.

(08-24-2022, 01:45 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm curious how far back the PELL Grant awards can go...or is it if you where ever awarded a PELL Grant (in any amount, they don't say it has to be a full grant award).

I got a small Pell grant in 2004, so I'm basically the canary in the coal mine for whether it applies to "anyone". I look forward to finding out. Smile
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 3 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • allvia, rachel83az, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 397 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DOJ says that Biden can't even remember when he was vice president LevelUP 5 562 02-10-2024, 10:14 AM
  Netflix kills off cheapest no-ads plan in the U.S. and U.K. LevelUP 3 502 07-21-2023, 01:29 PM
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 770 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 613 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,311 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 458 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 748 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,073 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 749 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda