Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA/BS-CIS?
So Im considering going after the BSBA-CIS/BS-CIS. I already have a Bachelors from UMPI, so obviously the Gen Eds and electives are waived as well as the 30 RA requirement. I already have business and IT credits through Sophia from before that cover some of the course requirements in the CIS AOS and Business Core, do I just need 24 new credits to cover the rest of the plan to complete the degree? Or do I need to start from scratch with the entire plan? Is the cornerstone still required for a second bachelors? Also, I still don't have a firm grasp on my payment options. What is honestly the better option, paying for the residency waiver or doing flat rate? The waiver is expensive, yet the flat rate 15 credit option may be hard to pull off in a semester. What are my options as far as payment?

I found this post by levelup awhile back, I imagine the financials are off (couple years old) somewhat but the concept may still be the same...

Option #1
$4,639 Flat-Rate Tuition
$1000 Tel Learning RA credits (15 credits or 5 classes @ $200 each)
$298 Graduation Fee
$5937

Option #2
$3114 for 2 courses TESU
$1600 Tel Learning RA credits (24 credits or 8 classes @ $200 each)
$3,192 for Residency Waiver
$298 Graduation Fee
$8204

Option #3  (Get 2 degrees Biz Admin and Computer Science 2 different schools)
$2000 (Get UMPI Biz degree Git-R-Done degree plan)
$1557 (1 capstone course TESU)
$3,192 for Residency Waiver
$298 Graduation Fee
$7047 Total

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!!
UMPI: Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science 
Your money would be better spent on earning a MBA if you're looking to add a business degree to your resume. There are quite a few (affordable) options in MIS/ITM that would align with the BSBA-CIS if that AOS is your secondary objective to the business admin.  You could achieve this for about the same budget, and obtain a much better ROI than a second bachelor.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • origamishuttle
This thread is worth a look for affordable MBA options:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...der-1-Year
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 2 users Like jg_nuy's post:
  • fmsoa, origamishuttle
(10-21-2023, 07:47 AM)allvia Wrote: Your money would be better spent on earning a MBA if you're looking to add a business degree to your resume. There are quite a few (affordable) options in MIS/ITM that would align with the BSBA-CIS if that AOS is your secondary objective to the business admin.  You could achieve this for about the same budget, and obtain a much better ROI than a second bachelor.
WGU I take it?

I’ve considered the MBA or MSML in the past.
UMPI: Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science 
Current Rates

Option #1
$4,299 Flat-Rate Tuition
$298 Graduation Fee
$4597

Option #2
$1635 for 1 course at TESU
$3,354 for Residency Waiver
$298 Graduation Fee
$5287

What is your time worth?

If it's worth $15hr, then it would take 80-160hrs of extra effort to do 5 TESU courses versus 1 or $1200/$2400 worth of your time.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
As already said, you'll get better bang for your buck if you get an MBA. But if you want a "tech" degree and not a "business degree", the BS CIS is an okay price.

(10-21-2023, 07:38 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: I already have business and IT credits through Sophia from before that cover some of the course requirements in the CIS AOS and Business Core, do I just need 24 new credits to cover the rest of the plan to complete the degree? Or do I need to start from scratch with the entire plan?
You'll need 24 new credits in the AOS. If all you have is Sophia credits (and UMPI credits), you should be good. But you'd need to apply to TESU to see what happens.

(10-21-2023, 07:38 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Is the cornerstone still required for a second bachelors? 
No, only the capstone. The cornerstone is part of the gen eds.

(10-21-2023, 07:38 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Also, I still don't have a firm grasp on my payment options. What is honestly the better option, paying for the residency waiver or doing flat rate? The waiver is expensive, yet the flat rate 15 credit option may be hard to pull off in a semester. What are my options as far as payment?

Your options at this point are:
Capstone: $1635
Residency Waiver fee: $3354
Graduation fee: $298
------
Total: $5287

OR

15 credit flat rate term (capstone, 1 or 2 easy classes, 1 or 2 easy ePacks): $4299
Graduation fee: $298
------
Total: $4597

I think you can pay tuition in 3 payments? https://www.tesu.edu/centrastate/deferre...yment-plan But the residency waiver fee is due all at once, AFAIK.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
Hmm, for someone who wants more stuff for the same amount of cash, I would do the BACS/BSBA combo...
Two capstones, mix of 3 E-Packs or 3 easy courses, 5 courses total. One of the courses should be the PLA-1010

$4,299 Flat-Rate Tuition
$298 Graduation Fee
$4597
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Not necessarily. An mba is going to more than likely cost $10k. Minimum And take at least 1 year minimum.  Unless you go through HAU.
Or are able to complete WGU in one term , which is not the norm.

A degree from BSBA from TESU can probably realistically  be earned in a year or less for $8k or less and probably a lot less stress and time management involved. 

Plus depending on your background and experience an mba May be overkill. An mba is best if you already have years experience in business.
Yeah, it really depends on the student, you can do a mix/match approach if you don't have much business experience and a combo of Bachelors & Masters... For example, you can do the TESU BSBA/WGU MBA combo, or do the UMPI MAOL/WGUMBA combo, or one and done at WGU with their MSML/MBA. Pricing would be very similar for any of these options, if you wanted to do the HAU MBA for $3K, you can save a bit of cash and it wouldn't really need anything for entry, except prerequisite courses...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-21-2023, 07:38 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: What is honestly the better option, paying for the residency waiver or doing flat rate? The waiver is expensive, yet the flat rate 15 credit option may be hard to pull off in a semester.

If you find yourself falling behind, you can always extend one or more courses ($248 per course). I'd generally recommend extending the capstone, since it represents the largest chunk of work.

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...xtensions/
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 63 Today, 12:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,249 Yesterday, 09:25 AM
  TESU BSBA - General Management Cire 5 889 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: etirflita
  Is CIS still a BSBA or it´s now a different degree? MrPanda 28 2,445 10-21-2023, 03:48 PM
  BSBA Accounting 2nd Degree at TESU. mog538 10 1,184 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Managerial Accounting for TESU BSBA Entrepreneurship schlocker 3 518 09-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BACS/BSBA CIS - Transferring Credits MortySanchez 12 1,367 09-08-2023, 10:26 AM
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 10 780 08-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS & Dual BSBA CIS + Finance max transfer credits. CanICode 18 1,039 08-04-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  BSBA Operations Management AOS dillpickles 48 3,117 07-17-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: dillpickles