Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any high school teachers here?
I have been teaching community college for 12 years and I have been offered a job at a local high school that is 5 minutes from my house vs the 45 minutes I now drive and it would be the same school my daughter will start attending next year. While I love teaching at a community college, it has been a hard year with lots of students just coming to class to collect a check without any desire to learn. I feel like it would be nice to inspire young minds that want to learn for a change!

My question for those who teach high school how bad are the kids? I have 2 teeenagers at home, but they are very good kids compared to a lot of them around here. I wouldn't tolerate disrespect for anyone or from anyone in my class and I'm worried about that being a problem. I live in a small rural town and a lot of our teachers are transient just coming here long enough to get experience for their resume then they leave. A lot of the teachers say most of these kids can't be taught and are horrible. Is that a burned out teacher talking or are they that bad? I'm a no-nonsense, tell it like it is person and I'm afraid I might not be a good mix for teenagers.

I'm finishing up grad school with the original intention to start teaching some DL classes for some Universities, but now I've hit this funk. I'm not sure if it is just overload and I should just stick it out where I am or if I truly am ready for a change. I keep thinking about the teachers that inspired me in school and I can't help but think I would like to inspire some of the young minds that will be responsible for our future! Is this unrealistic in today's classroom? Maybe I should just get some Prozac or take a vacation and have a few drinks and this too shall pass! LOL! For those of you in the classrooms everyday, help me out...please!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I don't teach high school but middle school 8th graders are pretty close. Even the kids I like and are sweet in 6th get more attitude by 8th. At that age kids think they know it all and they have no respect for anyone. A lot of high school kids are there because they have to be not because they want to learn anything. By the time kids get to CC more of them have some desire to learn or they wouldn't waste the time to come even if Mommy and Daddy are paying. Of course there are exceptions to any rule but for the average high school student you are not going to be treated with respect or reach many who want to learn.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks Linda! My daughter is in 8th grade and my son is 18, so that is why I'm worried about my tolerance level. I know their friends and schoolmates and some, IMHO, need a swift kick in the pants! I'm just having such a bad week at work that I don't want to make any rash decisions, as I usually love my job and my students. But I have to admit the desire to feel like I make a difference is really pulling at me this week and I'm not sure I would get that from the high school kids, even though they are hand selected for the program I would be teaching. Thanks for your insight, it kind of confirms some of my feelings. I have always said I would never want to teach teenagers, so that it why I'm conflicted about this.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Quote:Are there any high school teachers here?
Essentially.

Quote:I feel like it would be nice to inspire young minds that want to learn for a change!
I think you will be in for some major dissapointment then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 313 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,408 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,616 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,839 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Gas Prices Hit Record High Averaging Over $5 a Gallon in California LevelUP 8 946 03-07-2022, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Blkqueen8
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 935 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 579 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,140 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,715 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 691 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77