Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100% online law degree
(09-28-2021, 01:28 PM)jsd Wrote: even with the experience, *almost* all states require an ABA accredited on top of that experience. I don't recall the exact number, but I believe it is less than 5 that will accept one of the California unaccredited schools with the experience (or other pre-reqs) met.

I counted 33 states or territories that will allow someone to sit for the Bar without an ABA-accredited law degree. They just need to have been admitted in another state, and there's usually an experience requirement.

Ugh. The link didn't paste right. Let me try on my laptop.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
According to this, if i counted right, it's 24 (+ DC) that either allow CA non-accred with either work experience or additional coursework from an ABA school. So much better than my <5 claim, which I believe was true at some point but thankfully looks to have expanded in the past few years I've been on this forum and originally looked into it.

https://classroom.synonym.com/states-cal...99971.html
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-28-2021, 01:44 PM)jsd Wrote: According to this, if i counted right, it's 24 (+ DC) that either allow CA non-accred with either work experience or additional coursework from an ABA school. So much better than my <5 claim, which I believe was true at some point but thankfully looks to have expanded in the past few years I've been on this forum and originally looked into it.

https://classroom.synonym.com/states-cal...99971.html

I was looking at ABA's 2021 guide. They put out a comprehensive guide to bar admissions every year. It's technically 32 because Virginia's only other option is law office study. I didn't eliminate the couple of states/territories that will only allow unaccredited, in-state law school degrees. If you take out Puerto Rico and Massachusetts, because they only allow "in-state" unaccredited degrees, then there are 30 states that will let you sit for the bar with an unaccredited, out-of-state degree.

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/...-guide.pdf

Most of the states that will allow a non-ABA JD or LLB from another state will require experience. A few states only require bar admission in another state, and a few states only require a specified number of hours at an ABA-approved law school. The hours are usually acquired in an LLM program. Also keep in mind that, while some states will accept a non-ABA degree, they won't accept a non-ABA degree completed online or by correspondence.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
great info, though it does illustrate just how more complex using these degrees can be than just graduate and pass the bar. But at least there are much more options, which I'm happy to have learned.

In the supplemental remarks, some states have some other very specific clauses as well, like vermont requires evidence that the school was seeking ABA accreditation at the time of your enrollment.

what a headache state-by-state licensure is (and certainly not a headache limited to just the ABA).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
With all of this said, it makes it seem to me that the St. Mary's program is really just a small step in the larger process of getting the basic Law degree into the mainstream of online programs.  Law degrees have been deliberately held out of the larger move to online higher education.  I'm not sure that I've ever heard a convincing argument for why the JD degree can't be effectively taught online.
LSAT Scores Up, But Legal Job Market Unprepared To Absorb Number Of Potential Law Students | Above the Law
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, jsd
(09-28-2021, 01:05 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: What if he moves? Can he just sit for the bar in the new state?

Up to himself if he moves. A majority of educated Californians don't leave California. The migration out of California is mostly fueled by the uneducated.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • jsd
(09-28-2021, 08:37 PM):Dashkir Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 01:05 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: What if he moves? Can he just sit for the bar in the new state?

Up to himself if he moves. A majority of educated Californians don't leave California. The migration out of California is mostly fueled by the uneducated.

It’s gotta be the weather.  Big Grin
(09-28-2021, 08:37 PM)ashkir Wrote:

What I meant was what happens to his ability to practice law. People do move for many different reasons. Sometimes family obligations or job obligations or other life changes precipitate a move.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(09-29-2021, 12:08 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 08:37 PM)ashkir Wrote:

What I meant was what happens to his ability to practice law. People do move for many different reasons. Sometimes family obligations or job obligations or other life changes precipitate a move.

Maybe it's an oversimplification but it seems to me if he moves to the right place he'll be OK but if he moves to the wrong place he's pretty much screwed.
In the process of discussing this story I came upon another story regarding Alternative Legal Services Providers
https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/...rvey-finds

Someone with a bit of entrepreneurial spirit might avoid the whole "law school thing" altogether
https://www.paralegaledu.org/alternative...providers/
https://www.bestcolleges.com/features/to...-programs/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MLS Degree. Should I? shouldimba 8 207 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 16 664 Yesterday, 12:22 AM
  Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis? swellguy 1 166 05-04-2024, 06:25 PM
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 8 1,469 05-01-2024, 08:48 PM
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 20,401 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 16 742 04-23-2024, 10:43 AM
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 333 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 401 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 426 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 704 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado