Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which ONLINE college can I complete credits to obtain Bachelors fastest?
(08-14-2022, 07:39 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: Depending on the state, you'll need a certain number of supervised clinical hours after graduating with your MSW to become an LCSW/LICSW.

Social work regulations and licensure/registration requirements: https://www.aswb.org/regulation/laws-and...-database/

I think all, or almost all 50 states now require 3,000 hours post-graduation supervised practice. CSWE, ASWB, and NASW have been working hard to get consistency across all states (and the provinces of Canada) and are very close to having uniformity.  The ASWB exam is now the official social work exam used in all 50 states, and I am pretty certain that the last laggard states that required less than 3000 hours have now increased their requirement for consistency.

There are other requirements that vary by state, so it is always wise to check individual state requirements.  However, pretty much all of that happens *after* you've earned the MSW.

(08-14-2022, 07:39 AM)bjcheung77 wrote Wrote: In addition to the above, I would recommend you take a look at a few MSW programs and write down the majority of their requirements. Your main goal is to complete the required Bachelors for entry, it doesn't have to be a BSW if you want a quicker way to get the check the box Bachelors. WNMU is a good school, there is another one I would recommend is Eastern University for about the same price range and also completely online.

If you want requirements that will get you into pretty much *any* MSW program, it's
- A biology course
- A statistics course
- A research methods course

However, many of the MSW programs require none of those. (For example, Boise and WNMU do not.) Even if the school you attend doesn't require it, I do recommend taking a stats and research methods course, because those will help you get through the research methods coursework required in the MSW.  The Excelsior Research Methods exam was a great way to do that; it's a shame they've discontinued that.  The Study.com Research Methods course will prepare you well (as will just about any research methods course.)  Stats for the Social Sciences that you can take almost anywhere will be helpful.

Outside of those prereqs, basically all that's required is a bachelors degree.  At WNMU, there are a couple of folks with business, computer, and other decidedly non-liberal arts undergrad degrees, but officially, CSWE recommends that students get a broad range of coursework in the liberal arts if they are not seeking a BSW.

Schools that are worth looking at (in my opinion) include Boise State, Louisiana State U,  and WNMU.  All are in the 35K range for the 2 year program (total) last I checked.  WNMU can be as cheap as 18K if you are willing to take the program over 3 years instead of 2.

I know a couple of folks at UMass Global who have been pretty unhappy there.  It's also a school with a prefab curriculum developed by UMass's for-profit partner that does all the course development and marketing, which means you have professors teaching courses they had no input in developing... which can make them less interested/dedicated to the coursework.  Just one other piece to consider.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • jsd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fastest/affordable Online BSW, to move on to MSW (LMSW) - by studyingfortests - 08-15-2022, 02:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 257 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Beginner's Guide to College Degrees - Compact and Concise Revised Version bjcheung77 8 1,027 09-17-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: wow
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 12 1,450 09-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: RejuvenationOclock
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 308 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LVN/LPN to RN - options for (mostly) online education? studyingfortests 18 2,025 09-13-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: AaronGibson
  HELP!!!!!! Old Transfer Credits Kimbap 3 180 09-11-2024, 02:35 PM
  Electronics degree online msa145 5 332 09-08-2024, 11:42 PM
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 630 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Trying for Excelsior criminal justice with transfer credits and using Sophia mikefrank113 0 187 08-30-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: mikefrank113
Big Grin Speedy and Inexpensive Bachelors ATM925 7 968 08-25-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: ATM925