Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance
#33
(06-21-2022, 06:57 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 10:41 AM)EducationSeeker Wrote: He has an interest in real estate and it doesn't seem like the Big 3 or UMPI, SNHU, WGU or less expensive options have an concentration in Real Estate. Since he is also looking at potentially looking at being an entrepreneur by real estate investment and flipping houses, I don't know that  it makes a huge difference that his degree is in Business vs. Finance vs. Bachelor of Liberal Studies. I think getting the degree as a credential and moving on with his life is probably more important at this point although I think a business related field makes sense. Since he is looking at getting the degree cheaply and quickly, I think achieving the Bachelor's degree and moving on is most important.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

I have experience with rental property, flipping homes, and experience as a licensed Realtor. To buy a property through a bank, they will look at an average of your last two years' income and main monthly bills such as housing, car payments, other loans, etc.

I would recommend getting a Businsss Administration degree. I would definitely learn finance, and if the college doesn't have a finance concentration, there is still the option to take finance courses at Study.com and bring them in as electives. Also, digital marketing would be a valuable skill to learn as well, so at the very least, take one course on that.

There are some good real estate courses on Udemy or other places. A lot of that real estate stuff he will need to learn on his own.
https://www.udemy.com/topic/real-estate-investing/

Levelup,

This is especially helpful to get the perspective of someone in the field. There are many type of ways to educate yourself and if he is truly interested, I am also encouraging him to get literal "hands on" experience in some construction along with the cerebral business side of Real Estate. He seems to have an interest in commercial real estate. I have told him that even if the take away as an entrepreneur is to learn how to do books, how financing works, marketing, writing a business plan, operations, etc. and gets 5-10% out of the degree, it has value.  Additionally, commercial real estate investment firms where he would get experience like to see candidates with a Bachelor's degree.

In order to get an experience in the financial end, I don't think he can go wrong with a Business Administration bachelors, marketing, or Liberal Studies major that focuses on other business related activities.

(06-21-2022, 01:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @EducationSeeker, I would have him apply to TESU and complete his lower level requirements with Sophia.org, his upper level requirements can come from LawShelf and Davar, Saylor.og/Study.com - these require proctoring, but he'll be familiar with the process after one or two exam attempts.  The main goal right now is to get him started and continuing on with his journey towards completion, Sophia.org will hit most of those lower level requirements.

@bjcheung77

Which course providers are video vs. voice or other types of proctoring? I don't think he minds proctoring and has already experienced some of it through online courses on Blackboard and Canvas, but, he gets turned off by the "big brother" idea of video proctoring. If there are ways to meet lower level and upper level course requirements through non video proctoring, that is preferable.

In your opinion, if the Finance major is not as much of a requirement, do you think the WGU or UMPI Bachelors in Business or a general Bachelor of Liberal studies would be an equally good option as TESU in terms of cost and average time for fairly diligent completion?

Thanks,

Education Seeker
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance - by EducationSeeker - 06-21-2022, 11:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with choosing Statistics degree Pilotpivot3 8 3,357 Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Undergraduate Electrical Engineering degree online cheeseberserk 21 11,055 Yesterday, 12:22 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Business degree advice please - currently in progress thanks4help 0 260 09-13-2026, 08:48 PM
Last Post: thanks4help
  Options for completing a Master's degree in Education? amos316 3 780 08-30-2026, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Best Low-Cost Path to a U.S. Bachelor's or Associate akr680 8 1,661 07-20-2026, 11:52 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Transferring from community college to an online Bachelor's program daydream 9 3,169 07-08-2026, 07:32 PM
Last Post: daydream
  Credit recognition for EU Bachelor’s degree: looking for flexible online Master’s pat acajka 6 1,481 07-08-2026, 08:19 AM
Last Post: soba
  Degree eval query joebloggs 1 633 06-24-2026, 09:38 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Pre- rec for nursing degree planning LadySearchDog 7 2,443 06-02-2026, 05:30 AM
Last Post: myriam555
Sad I'm in Degree Hell sal1820 17 4,607 05-31-2026, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Maltus

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)