Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! Homeschooler...Need ideas for a Computer Engineering Degree
(10-14-2019, 12:48 PM)davewill Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 08:20 PM)ACI Wrote: Hello!

My son is 16 and we home school.  He is not very motivated in general...doesn't really know what he wants to do... but has shown interest recently in engineering (programming code that tells electrical components what to do).  

Thanks so much!  Heart

I work in this field, called "embedded software" which basically means instead of writing software for people to use on a general purpose computer, you're writing software to control devices. Everything from your microwave oven, to the entertainment system in your car, to the radar and avionics in aircraft require embedded software to work.

There are three main degrees people who work in this field have:

Electrical Engineering: You study electrical circuits and learn to design everything from the electrical service for large building or the design of computer circuit boards, or even semiconductor design. It's a "hardware" degree rather than a "software" degree although a EE will also learn enough programming to write software, especially for directly controlling hardware. A significant number of embedded software engineers have this degree.

Computer Science: You study the science of writing computer programs. This includes algorithms, computer architecture, computer languages, systems analysis, etc... I'd say most embedded software engineers will have this degree.

Computer Engineering: This degree integrates parts of both of the above. It would be a solid choice for someone who wanted to enter embedded software, although it's less common simply because it isn't offered as widely.

The general ed credits for all three (I'm speaking generally) are going to be much the same. Math through Calculus (how much calculus varies), Linear Algebra, or Discrete Math. He'll also need science with labs for most schools. Personally, I wouldn't tie a 16 yo down to the Big3 for this field. I would instead try to get real college credits from a community college. I would have him aim at getting good grades, applying to a good school, and trying to score a good aid and scholarship package. WGU and the Big3 will always be there, but a degree from a decent engineering program will make a significant difference.

In the meantime, in the name of developing his interest further, I'd suggest he start experimenting and teaching himself a bit. The Arduino Starter Kit is a cheap and simple way to get his feet wet in both hardware and software. It comes with a how to book of interesting projects. 

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-starter-kit

Thank you so much for all this information!  Very helpful! You said pretty much what my brother said.  And, actually the reason I am looking at this field is because we got him an Arduino Kit and it's the one thing he's shown interest in (I mean, he'd rather play video games...sigh...but it's something he's sticking with).

(10-14-2019, 12:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm concerned that a decision to pursue a degree he hasn't expressed interest in is being made before he even sees what kind of financial aid he will qualify for. A computer science degree is not a computer or electrical engineering degree.

I'm definitely not trying to make a decision about a degree for him at this point.  I just needed some kind of general direction to head with him. And of course that could change. How many kids know what they want to do at 16?  Not very many.  But, as a parent - I'm choosing curriculum each year and then trying to align that with tests he can take to get college credit.  Having in my mind that he likely will not go to one of the Big 3 actually helps me in my planning.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HELP! Homeschooler...Need ideas for a Computer Engineering Degree - by ACI - 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 421 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,506 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 392 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,868 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,348 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,388 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Bridging the Campus Divide With ‘Dangerous Ideas’ and AI Debate Moderators LevelUP 1 257 07-19-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,619 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 763 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,950 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema