Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
Provider: OnlineDegree.com
Course: Introduction to Microeconomics
Course content: 11 lessons each consisting of a main lecture video and a couple of related YouTube videos, a practice question and a quiz. Recommended reading is provided from open source textbook.
Final exam format: Proctored by ProctorU - $9. Multiple choice.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Similar. If you do good on the quizzes for each unit you should have no problem on the final exam.
Time taken on course: Several days. I did not spend all day each day on the course - a few hours here and there, with some days off in the middle.
Familiarity with subject before course: Very little.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: Main lecture videos come from UC Irvine, with professor Phil "Does Your Graph Look Like This?" Navarro. Lectures are pretty dry and extremely boring 1990s powerpoint style with minimal visual stimulation. They are jam packed with the course material, so even though there are only 11 of them, and they are only 30-40 minutes each, you have to pause continually in order to write down the information and comprehend the concepts and graphs. The material is overall pretty simple and straightforward, but if you have trouble comprehending graphs like me, it may be a little challenging. I had to look up a lot of the material on YouTube for better understading (see Mr. Clifford's ACDC Econ and a channel by the name of DiagKNOWstics - VERY useful for both micro and macro concepts). The math is pretty simple - there is hardly any actual math, just understanding equations. As with the other OD.com courses, many questions are unclear, have typos, and/or do not make any sense at all. There were a few of these on the final. I got mad, but held it together and did the best I could. (You know, sounds like somebody who has English as a 3rd language wrote them, then accidentally cut out whole sentences from the question so it is not even a question)... You get what you pay for ($9) so I can't complain too much. As with all other OD.com courses, I believe the grading is as follows: 10% "attendance" (completing each module, which is required anyways), 50% quizzes (which are open book and occur at the end of each lesson), and 40% final exam. I barely passed the final, but the other factors brought my grade up to around 80%.
1-10 Difficulty level: 5 (easier if you are good at comprehending graphs)

Provider: OnlineDegree.com
Course: Introduction to Marketing & Strategy
Course content: 19 lessons each consisting of a main lecture video and a couple of related YouTube videos, a practice question and a quiz. Recommended reading is provided from open source textbook.
Final exam format: Proctored by ProctorU - $9. Multiple choice. 50 questions.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Same stuff. If you do good on the quizzes, final will be a breeze.
Time taken on course: 3 days - probably about 15 hours total.
Familiarity with subject before course: Little.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: The video lectures are from the Great Courses. There are 2 different professors - one for the Strategy part and the bulk of the course with Marketing. I thought the marketing professor was really funny. Lots of jokes and interesting content. Mind you, I usually listen to the material at an accelerated rate (you can download a chrome plugin to speed or slow any videos whether Vimeo, YT, or elsewhere to any desired rate) - but this guy talks soooo slowww that I usually had it cranked up to 1.7 - 1.8x. Then I just messed around on YouTube or did other tasks until the timer ran up and I could move on to the next module. This course is extremely easy. Just pay attention and you will kill it. I think I ended up with a 96%.
1-10 Difficulty level: 0.5
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt  sh: 120 (Complete)
Saylor (9): Env Eth, Mor & Pol Phil, Corp Com
OnlineDegree (18): Int Ast, Mod His, Int Psych, Microecon, Mark, Bio
Sophia (6 3): Con Res (1), Teams (1), SS (1), Gr Phil
CLEP (15): Int Soc, Mgmt, Comp (6), Gov't
CSM Learn (3): CSM
Institutes (2): Ethics (2)
TEEX (10 5): CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
TESU (9): SOS-110, Intro to Islam, Capstone
[-] The following 2 users Like Dan A Million's post:
  • quigongene, suzycupcake

Messages In This Thread
RE: The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! - by Dan A Million - 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Bus 311 Project Mgmt - Study.com - by khwaja1924 - 01-26-2022, 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 69 45,451 09-24-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Saver - 30% off 3 months portals 42 7,582 09-24-2024, 06:32 PM
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 237 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,870 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 291 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 644 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 397 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 244 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 326 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,246 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM