Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
#40
(01-20-2019, 07:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote: Also ALEKS is only one (very cheap) ACE option for your needed math credit. I personally did a few with them and then my Statistics with SL (I was never going to pass the ALEKS Stats - at least not in any affordable time frame)  - so I wouldn't worry about that one subject at this time as it applies to the Big 3.

ALEKS is cheap, but it's certainly not cheaper than taking a FREE CLEP exam through Modern States.  College Algebra or College Math.  And, it's certainly not the easiest choice of math courses.

Since you're not getting a degree that requires a certain level of math, or more than 1 math course, you can take any of the following easy math courses for credit:

CLEP - College Math through Modern States FREE >>MAT-102/103
CSM Learn - Quantitative Reasoning $39 >>MAT-102
TECEP - Applied Liberal Arts Math $75 >>MAT-105
DSST - Math for Liberal Arts $85 >>MAT-105

My only concern with doing a single test for my math requirement is that I clearly need to study more and I'm not "getting it" when it comes to learning algebra again. I went through the entire khanacademy.com college math sections from Pre-algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. I thought I did pretty well too. I felt like I "got it" as far as most of it was concerned. I even took the practice tests and I was doing just fine. 

Now I know these aren't the same tests and it's hard to compare them since it's apples to oranges but when I took the ACCUPLACER for Montgomery County College, I felt like I didn't know a single answer or how to do anything. I ended up getting a 54 out of 62 (but that's not how the scoring works, I was at the top of the algebra section but didn't get into college math). I've always considered myself pretty good at math so that was the weirdest part. I just don't remember the kind of math I simply don't use in real life. 

I thought with Aleks, you take a course and then once you're at 70%+, you take a test and if you score above 70%, you're done. Is that how it works or no? I'd also like something that I can do from my computer and don't need to visit a testing center. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a week to do a site visit and then when I get back, it may just be for a couple days and I'll be deployed. 

I'm not as concerned about what the cheapest is, I'm more concerned about my time and keeping my head in the game. I don't want this to end up being a stumbling block that causes my "self destruct" tendencies to over react.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - by Mil0 - 01-21-2019, 12:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,668 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Survey: Majority of Americans Say College Not Affordable LevelUP 15 1,780 09-25-2026, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  College costs top $100,000 at 15 schools LevelUP 0 377 08-21-2026, 01:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  This College Now Verifies Students’ Real-World Skills To Help Them Get Jobs LevelUP 0 412 08-17-2026, 08:32 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The Rise Of The Vibe School In College Admissions LevelUP 7 1,442 08-05-2026, 04:33 PM
Last Post: lickington
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 12 7,113 07-22-2026, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tomicavols
  College Students Are Testing at the Level of 10-Year-Olds LevelUP 8 1,964 07-08-2026, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Academic ‘boot camp’ helps veterans build college confidence LevelUP 0 567 06-30-2026, 07:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Over 41 Million Adults Say They Want To Enroll In College, But Will They? LevelUP 2 768 06-12-2026, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  5 Smart Tips for Choosing a College and Major in the AI Era LevelUP 0 678 05-31-2026, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)