Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree?
(12-16-2017, 03:42 PM)Kev Wrote: I'm planning on getting a BA in English (at TESU), to be able to work abroad as an English teacher. Once I start teaching at a public school, I then want to get the PGCEi at Nottingham University, so that I can apply at higher-paying/private schools. While the requirements for the PGCEi aren't unreasonable, the program does have standards regarding who is accepted, and while qualifications and experience don't worry me, I am worried that I will be discriminated against due to having an online degree—and equally important, discriminated against by employers.
  • Do universities, US and other countries, discriminate against people with an online degree (who apply for a certificate, master's or doctorate)?
  • Do employers—especially private/international teaching schools—discriminate against people who have an online degree?

I would assume yes they do discriminate - as to how much is hard to say, but some of the discrimination is sometimes legitimate.  I've met some people who only had 'online classes' who...  might have the technical knowledge taught in the class but seem to lack some of the social unwritten rules and such also learned in class.  Just like sometimes homeschooled kids can be extremely intelligent but lack some of the practical skills learned in school with others.  (note I said sometimes, and this isn't meant as a slight - just my experience)  Sometimes that experience is literally learning how to deal with totally unfair bullsh_t believe it or not... bullies in class, teachers that take some random mislike to you (the same way that some boss or manager might and then youre dealing with office politics - which is not taught online) and crap nobody should have to deal with, but everyone usually does anyways.  If nothing else starting online then transferring and graduating from somewhere more physical might help mitigate that.

I dont know the specifics of your field but I do know that the more work experience you have, the less the degree matters - just that you have one - because after the first job or two you're sort of considered proven and it's more important what your work history is.  So in the worst case be prepared for a tough first job or two (be really sure you make the employer happy and get good references) and after that it's probably much less of a deal.
[-] The following 3 users Like blaczkowitz's post:
  • jsd, keepsingin, Kev

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree? - by blaczkowitz - 12-25-2017, 02:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI/Machine Learning Subject Based BS degree vetvso 4 298 10-18-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  people who have multiple degrees crowbird 31 1,927 10-17-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  AACSB Certified Online Business School? Trich1996 15 674 10-09-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  California bans legacy admissions in all colleges, universities LevelUP 0 182 10-07-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 515 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,719 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 540 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,858 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 9,235 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,419 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow