Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
Provider: Study.com
Course: Business 309: Digital Marketing and Advertising
 Course content:  83 lessons/quizzes, plus a 70 question final exam worth 100 points, and two final projects.  The first project is to create a digital marketing plan (roughly 3,000-4,000 words) and the second is a 10-20 slide presentation that goes along with the marketing plan.  The written plan is worth 80 points, the slideshow is worth 20.  You can earn a maximum of 100 points via the lesson quizzes.  Do well enough on the quizzes within the first three tries, and do well on the final and you can have a pretty low grade on the project(s) as 210 points are needed to pass for credit.  Note that no placement test is available.
Final exam format: 70 Multiple choice questions, 100 points available.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: No surprises and fairly straightforward. 
Time taken on course: About a week for the quizzes.  The project took me every bit of a day and a half of working on it full time.
Familiarity with subject before course:  I took an intro to marketing course previously, and I know my way around the internet and have heard of most of the stuff covered so it was pretty easy to get up to speed.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know:  There is no placement test available for this one.  The project sucks and is labor intensive.  I also thought the stupid project instructions were a little too ambiguous in some regards.  For instance, you have a marketing budget to work with and you are supposed to break down the budget.  How are you supposed to get service rates?  Most people aren’t going to help you with service pricing for a company that doesn’t exist.  They could have at least given some fake service pricing or something.  Additionally, they have a pretty set way they want you to structure your marketing plan, and they don’t provide a sample.  Any of the plans that you find by Googling are structured completely different… it would have been nice to see what they were expecting with a bit more to go on than just a textual description.  If I told you to draw a banana, would you do better if I told you what a banana looked like, or if I actually showed you a banana? With all of that being said, I thought I was going to do horribly but ended up with (what I considered) a great grade on the project.  In retrospect, I believe the goal is to make sure you can apply and understand the lesson concepts as opposed to making a professional level product.
Difficulty level: The course material is straightforward.  The project is an absolute pain in the...

Course: Business 308: Globalization & International Management
 Course content:  118 lessons/quizzes, plus a 100 question final exam worth 100 points, and two final projects.  The final projects consist of two, 1500-2000 word business case studies, worth 50 points each.  You can earn a maximum of 100 points via the lesson quizzes.  Do well enough on the quizzes within the first three tries, and do well on the final and you can have a pretty low grade on the project(s) as 210 points are needed to pass for credit.  Note that no placement test is available.
Final exam format: 100 Multiple choice questions, 100 points available.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: No surprises and fairly straightforward. 
Time taken on course: About a week for the quizzes.  I was able to knock out both case studies in a solid day.
Familiarity with subject before course: While no placement test was available, I did have a good number of lessons covered going into the course.  The rest of it was globalization specific.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know:  I took a little bit of an issue with the assignments, as they want you to write a case study, but the scenarios given want you to write more of what I would call a plan.  Even their “how to write a case study” lesson that the assignments refer to treats a case study as a historical account of something that has happened as opposed to a plan of action for a future event.  Despite this confusion, I wouldn’t call the assignments too taxing, and it was pretty evident as to what they were looking for.  As with my review of the digital marketing course, I would have liked to have seen a sample of exactly what they are looking for, but I also believe the ambiguity was intentionally introduced just to see how you would run with it.  Fair enough.
Difficulty level: The course material was kind of boring to me, although I didn’t take issue with the teaching or the presentation.  Again, the assignments were a bit confusing but I believed the instructions were clearly stated enough to where you should be able to develop a workable product.

Course: Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting
 Course content:  124 lessons/quizzes for 100 points total, plus a 100 question final exam worth 100 points, and two final projects worth 50 points each (need 210 points to pass).  The first project was an 800-1200 word report where you have to analyze the financial data of a company and recommend whether or not more people should be hired.  The second assignment was to make a budget for a company. 
Final exam format: 100 Multiple choice questions, 100 points available.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: No surprises and fairly straightforward.  Accounting was not my favorite subject but I did better on it than I thought I would.  No heavy duty calculations are required. 
Time taken on course: About a week for the quizzes.  The assignments took most of two days.
Familiarity with subject before course:  I had taken accounting 1 and 2 with Straighterline before this, but as the course title suggests this is more “applied.”  Other concepts from other business courses are addressed from an accounting standpoint, so I had seen a lot of it before.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know:  Study.com final project ambiguity strikes again.  For example - for the report about hiring people, one major issue I saw was the fact that the assignment asked you to recommend whether or not the company should hire more people, but the job description was vague at best.  In my case, the grader thought I made the wrong decision (and drew his or her own conclusions as to the function of the new employees) but ultimately my grade wasn’t really hurt because my analysis of the financial data was more or less solid.  Again, I believe the name of the game here is understanding and using the concepts taught in the lessons.  Capture that and present it in a professional manner and you’ll probably be just fine.  Otherwise, the course was pretty long and boring.
Difficulty level:  I don’t much care for accounting and I thought this course was going to be excruciatingly difficult, but I ultimately found it to be very doable and educational.  Despite the ambiguity, the projects were actually very helpful in tying everything together.
[-] The following 2 users Like aviator guy's post:
  • suzycupcake, Yenisei

Messages In This Thread
RE: The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! - by aviator guy - 11-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Bus 311 Project Mgmt - Study.com - by khwaja1924 - 01-26-2022, 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 69 45,451 Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Saver - 30% off 3 months portals 42 7,582 Yesterday, 06:32 PM
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 237 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,870 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 291 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 644 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 397 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 244 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 326 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,246 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM