Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Need some advice, looking to finish degree
#1
A little background: I did some college out of high school and decided it wasn't for me at the time. I had started my own business and was successful. I later applied that experience and worked a few jobs at larger companies and have worked my way up to a managerial position. I'm now doing very well for myself and manage a team and do work for Fortune 500 clients.

I would like to complete a degree more for my own achievement and peace-of-mind. The majority of my colleagues have degrees as well. I consider myself highly intelligent, and the reason I have become successful in my field is my ability to self-learn. I've always been good at tests. Discovering the CLEP program has renewed my faith in my ability to finish a degree, despite having a very demanding job.

I started my education at a local state university. It's been a while, but I know I have no more than 10 credits there. However, I'm only interested in completing a Liberal Arts AS at this time. The only catch: the school only allows for 30 credits via CLEP for an AS, and the specific classes that translate to credits are somewhat limited. Each CLEP test is worth 3 credits.

Should I pursue the degree at the state university, it would mean that I would need to attend roughly 20 credits worth of online or evening classes, and a gym class (ugh). The campus is less than an hour from my current location, so it is doable.

My curiosity as a newbie here is regarding other options. Do most schools limit the amount of credits you can earn via CLEP toward an associate's like at my school? I'm wondering if I should look at other schools.

The other thing I'm looking to learn from this forum is which CLEP's to take and which not to, but I can glean that info myself by reading back threads.

Thanks all!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Need some advice, looking to finish degree - by RA808 - 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,470 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Free Accredited Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science – How Do We Get There? MNomadic 21 12,162 09-26-2026, 01:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 54 72,114 09-25-2026, 10:47 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Online bachelor's degree for students fluent in Japanese archsvt 2 2,217 08-03-2026, 09:15 PM
Last Post: ueacquire
  AOS TESU CS ADVICE Stardeus 1 736 07-28-2026, 08:12 PM
Last Post: truthfulness
  WaPo Article Questions Rapid Degree Completion ('Degree Hacking’) swlearner71 59 12,233 07-24-2026, 09:27 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  The Bachelor’s Degree: A Human Operating System LevelUP 3 1,476 07-23-2026, 07:58 AM
Last Post: soba
  Judge Tosses ED’s ‘Professional’ Degree Definition TINASAM 2 986 06-26-2026, 10:56 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  UoPeople degree paused in Minnesota TINASAM 11 2,276 06-12-2026, 03:04 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Degree walls wow 6 1,147 06-02-2026, 07:08 AM
Last Post: wow

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)