Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone know if you can claim test fees on taxes?
ece, dantes, etc.
I think to claim educational stuff on taxes, you need documentation from a college that you paid tuition and junk. I'm no tax attorney or anything, I'm just remembering what TaxSlayer told me about it.

I made almost nothing last year and ended up paying no taxes at all with just the standard deduction, so not an issue for me. :p

So I guess maybe you could claim ECEs if you were an Excelsior student? I'm sure EC could confirm or deny.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
From what I understand if you can claim books and tuition you can claim testing fees. You do get a receipt when you pay, If you are taking the test to advance in your job it should definitely be tax deductable.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
:iagree: I spoke to my accountant about this just last week and yes, you can claim all the test expenses. Just hold on to your receipts. Proxy fees as well if you have to pay them.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
thanks for the info, much appreciated!
bricabrac Wrote::iagree: I spoke to my accountant about this just last week and yes, you can claim all the test expenses. Just hold on to your receipts. Proxy fees as well if you have to pay them.

Did the account say if it was covered under the Hope or lifetime learning or both?

Here is a link with info on both :
College Tuition - education tax credits - hope tax credit, lifetime learning

It appears for one to claim the Hope credit you have to be enrolled at least half-time. Check Box 8 on your 1098-T to see if your school reported you as "at least half-time student".

The lifetime learning credit does not seem to have that same stipulation but it seems to only cover tuition and fees.

Here is an IRS pub. that might be helpful : http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf
peace123 Wrote:Did the account say if it was covered under the Hope or lifetime learning or both?

Here is a link with info on both :
College Tuition - education tax credits - hope tax credit, lifetime learning

Peace,

I didn't ask and will not know until my returns are completed. From my own research last year I knew there would be special added tax cuts for education allowed this year (and next); I think you can actually use both avenues this year but unsure of what credits/deductions apply to each. I bow to accountants, keeping up with the ever changing tax codes and forms is an art of itself! I could never do it!
Confusedeeya:

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
As a former state tax collector I will just add the following advice :

"ignorance of the tax law is not a defense"

"even if you pay someone to prepare your return, ultimately any tax and penalties owed because of an audit are your responsibility, not your prepares/ Accountants"...so it is wise to
learn about these credits if your preparer/Accountant has you claim the education credits on your return.
bricabrac Wrote:Peace,

I didn't ask and will not know until my returns are completed. From my own research last year I knew there would be special added tax cuts for education allowed this year (and next); I think you can actually use both avenues this year but unsure of what credits/deductions apply to each. I bow to accountants, keeping up with the ever changing tax codes and forms is an art of itself! I could never do it!
Confusedeeya:

FYI: from IRS form 8863 Education Credits (2009) :
Lifetime Learning Credit. Caution: You cannot take the American opportunity credit or the Hope credit and the
lifetime learning credit for the same student in the same year.
peace123 Wrote:As a former state tax collector I will just add the following advice :

"ignorance of the tax law is not a defense"

"even if you pay someone to prepare your return, ultimately any tax and penalties owed because of an audit are your responsibility, not your prepares/ Accountants"...so it is wise to
learn about these credits if your preparer/Accountant has you claim the education credits on your return.

Peace,

I am now confused why you asked what plan my accountant advised if you already knew the answer? I was simply answering a question about claiming school expenses...this is not a forum for taxes. What you are saying is common sense that I would imagine everyone who itemizes returns already knows. And for the record my accountant does not do anything illegal. Geez, how did this turn into an attack on me and my accountant.

OP, good luck to you. I will not comment on this thread again.

Good evening.

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Speed Reading Test. NOBODY Can Pass Level 10 LevelUP 0 601 04-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do You Have ADHD? Here's A Test LevelUP 7 957 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Problems posting test scores sparky134 0 595 05-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: sparky134
  Physics GRE Subject Test Does Not Predict PhD Completion sanantone 10 2,379 02-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 4,274 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  DSST Test center open on Sundays in Maryland subhuman 0 1,162 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: subhuman
  Saturday Test Center in MD? subhuman 1 1,137 03-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  "U.S. millennials post ‘abysmal’ scores in tech skills test, lag behind foreign peers lavagirl 30 5,684 03-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  2014 Taxes Scholarships and Grants videogamesrock 2 858 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Major Change in Career Test Results sanantone 6 1,592 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: sanantone