Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WWU DBA Journey
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share an update on my doctoral journey. I decided to enroll in the program at William Woods University and am currently in the first class of the first cohort. There are only two of us in the cohort, but my classmate hasn't posted anything in the discussion boards yet, and we've already had four discussions (two per week). Since discussion posts make up 25% of our grade, even if he scores perfectly on everything else, he won’t get higher than a C. So, I suspect he might drop out. Of course, it’s also possible he has an accommodation that allows him not to post publicly. With the current pace of three classes per semester, as long as I don’t have to skip any terms, I should finish all my coursework by next August and then move on to the dissertation. Initially, there was talk about having to take breaks, but since the cohort is so small I'm hoping I won't have to skip any terms. There's also a chance that a new student might join in the September term, bringing us back up to two people.

By the end of the spring semester, I should have enough business courses to be officially qualified to teach undergraduate business classes, which will help me pick up some extra summer courses for additional income. If everything goes as planned and I'm ready to start my dissertation by next fall, I hope to make a case to my university for moving from a non-tenure track to a tenure-track position, which would mean an automatic raise.
The course I’m currently taking is on marketing strategy. It includes two discussion posts each week and a presentation due on Sundays. The instructor is an adjunct, but he’s very responsive to emails. I sent him a small question, and he replied in 30 seconds! He also provides detailed feedback, which is great.

As I continue on this journey, feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Good luck with your degree journeys, everyone!
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - completed
WWU - DBA 2026 - in progress

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 4 users Like withrown's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts, TINASAM, xspect
Big Update: The program manager for the DBA program recently left WWU, so there is a slight restructuring taking place. They are replacing 3 of the courses with special topics classes. These will allow you to do research for the credits or potentially allow you to transfer in additional courses for a quicker program. They also want to give you more time than one semester to complete your dissertation, which is a plus.

Once the changes "officially" take place, I'll get y'all an updated list of program requirements.

I'm excited that I may be able to finish that program a little bit quicker than planned! Smile
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 1 user Likes withrown's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
I didn't see your previous posts, so I'm curious what led you to select WWU for your DBA. Was there anything particular about this university versus others that attracted you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
(09-01-2024, 01:28 PM)wow Wrote: I didn't see your previous posts, so I'm curious what led you to select WWU for your DBA. Was there anything particular about this university versus others that attracted you?

It came down to time of completion for me. OSU has an online phd in leisure studies but its kinesiology focused and my advisor at UA recommended against it. WWU's DBA and Iowa state's PhD in Hospitality management both give generous allowances for masters level transfer credit. I applied too late for a Fall spot at Iowa State. Also, TBH I was worried about a traditional dissertation essentially solo while teaching fulltime. Generally in the "dissertation for publication" models like WWU that I've seen its shorter form work since it's for journal publication. Although since the program is undergoing changes who knows what they may throw my way.

It's probably just the ADHD in me but could'nt see myself posting in discussion boards (and replying to at least two of my classmates) for the next 3 years!
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
(09-01-2024, 05:45 PM)withrown Wrote: It came down to time of completion for me. OSU has an online phd in leisure studies but its kinesiology focused and my advisor at UA recommended against it. WWU's DBA and Iowa state's PhD in Hospitality management both give generous allowances for masters level transfer credit. I applied too late for a Fall spot at Iowa State. Also, TBH I was worried about a traditional dissertation essentially solo while teaching fulltime. Generally in the "dissertation for publication" models like WWU that I've seen its shorter form work since it's for journal publication. Although since the program is undergoing changes who knows what they may throw my way.

It's probably just the ADHD in me but could'nt see myself posting in discussion boards (and replying to at least two of my classmates) for the next 3 years!

So the dissertation isn't the traditional 200-300 page dissertation???? I may have to put WWU back on my list of possible options for my DBA.
I think your typical business dissertation is under 200 pages anyway. In the main thread for William Woods, I noted that they have three dissertation options: for publication, applied research, and traditional. Journals normally have a maximum word count that is equivalent to 30 or 35 pages.

To be honest, this is more like a capstone project, but hey. All employers will see is that William Woods requires a dissertation, which is helpful for those looking for tenure-track positions.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Generous transfer is definitely a plus. Thanks for answering!
(09-01-2024, 08:39 PM)wow Wrote: Generous transfer is definitely a plus. Thanks for answering!

Any pros / cons WWU vs South college? Will WWU allow SC ABD to complete dissertation at WWU and graduate?
(09-01-2024, 09:14 PM)cc95 Wrote:
(09-01-2024, 08:39 PM)wow Wrote: Generous transfer is definitely a plus. Thanks for answering!

Any pros / cons WWU vs South college? Will WWU allow SC ABD to complete dissertation at WWU and graduate?

I don't have any experience with south college but I like a bit of structure. The 5 week terms gives structure and an added bonus of not being in any particular class for too long. My last masters degree had full term semesters and it just about did my head in.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
Friday marks the end of my first term. I'm happy to most likely get an A. I still have three assignments to turn in, so we shall see. The next term will include a methods class which is open to all online doctoral students. Hopefully, the shift in dynamics won't throw me off.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 2 users Like withrown's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post