Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overseas Student
Hello everyone, long time lurker here! I'm aiming for the most easily obtained degree regardless of cost, though cheaper options are welcome Smile  I am a US citizen but don't currently reside there. I am in my mid-30s and have been teaching TEFL for a decade and was hired as a grade 1 teacher. My goal is to work towards a master degree in elementary education but right now I need to obtain any degree I can to maintain my visa overseas.

This is what I have so far:

Study.com
Communications 301: Diversity and Intercultural Communication
Business 312: Advanced Operations Management
Business 315: Logistics & Supply Chain Management

Sophia.org
Business Law
College Algebra
Public Speaking
Environmental Science
Introduction to Sociology
US History 1
Critical Thinking
Introduction to Statistics
Sophia.org
English Composition 1
Introduction to Nutrition
Microeconomics
Introduction to Business
Principles of Management
Business Law
Workplace Communication
Principles of Finance
Project Management
Visual Communications

StraighterLine
Introduction to Nutrition
American Government
Introduction to Philosophy
United States History 1
Western Civilization 1

Nutrition and US History are redundant. I have maybe some credits from brick and mortar schools, 15 years ago, perhaps amounting to a semester and a half but I owe student loans (in default) and assume I can't access those anymore. I assume the same situation makes me ineligible for financial aid.

What school/degree combination would be most suitable for my situation and what other credits do I need to max out the transfer policy? I am eyeing TESU (Generic liberal arts degree) as I can transfer in 114 credits and then work on my capstone project. 

I'm sorry if I am sharing too much background information, but I welcome any advice! 

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I just discovered the UMPI Reddit. Also looking good!
@default, Basically, TESU/UMPI would need you to get the transcripts and have them evaluate a transfer of credit before you begin your studies. You've got most of the general education and electives complete for them both, TESU BALS/BSBA, UMPI BABA/BLS, I would get in contact with the institution you've attended and see what can be done to release your college records or transcripts, otherwise, you're not going to be able to start at either institution, let alone do a final audit when graduation comes.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you for your response! Is omitting my other college experiences an option? Would they know? I’m pretty desperate and don’t want to make this too complicated Sad
You won't be able to graduate without providing transcripts from your previous schools. However, I would not expect being in default on student loans to prevent you from accessing them. That usually only happens when you owe the school itself money (unpaid tuition, parking fines, etc...).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill is on the ball, most institutions won't care for transcripts during applications, it's when you're actually wanting to apply for graduation where it hits. There are some institutions though, such as UMPI, that will want all the info up front and not just at the end for graduation. Here's an example, my cousin and UMPI: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid412344
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Check the updated federal rules for student loans as you may some relief.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Being in default with student loans will prohibit you from receiving grants or student loans. Being in default is not with the college themselves but is instead with your loan provider. This does not prohibit you from getting transcripts. You wouldn't be able to get transcripts from colleges you directly owe money to. For example, you attend Big College in Fall 2020 and didn't pay all of your tuition so you owe them $$$. Big College will not release transcripts until you pay all of the monies that you owe to them.

When applying to colleges, I have always had to submit all of my transcripts as part of the application process. I'm not sure which colleges bjcheung is referring to by saying you don't need transcripts until graduation. That has never been my experience. You wouldn't receive transfer credit without them and the financial aid office typically requires them.
I figured that I wasn’t eligible for aid and couldn’t access my transcripts and so I would just leave out any mention of that school. with this information, I requested an aliumni account and will try to obtain transcripts!

Do you think I may also have access to financial aid? Will my community college credits also be on this transcript or do I need to also hunt those down?

Thank you for all of the great information!

You won't be eligible for financial aid unless you get your loans out of default.

You will need to have your community college official transcripts sent to UMPI. They will require official transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Says so right on the admissions webpage.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 148 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 568 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 15 1,913 07-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: animuscerebri
  Fastest and cheapest way to get BAS or Bs CS for International Student zFranco 27 1,550 06-29-2024, 01:15 AM
Last Post: FullFocus
  Where to even start, as an int'll student? cookernetes 2 384 06-03-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Returning Accounting Student - Quickest Way MauriceLevy 10 838 05-14-2024, 10:50 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 619 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 603 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 772 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Help - Engineering Degree for European Student Bat1234 6 851 01-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Bat1234