Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries
I am not a digital nomad right now, but my goal is to get an RV and live that life. I'll probably just do it in the States, because of difficulties getting a passport (yay being adopted and being born in Texas, ugh.)
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS, BOG (Info Systems)---Pierpont Community and Technical College, December 2023
Certificate, Community Health Worker---Berkeley City College, December 2023

Currently: 
BA, Liberal Studies---Thomas Edison State University, (July 2024-present)

Considering:
graduate school someday, once I decide what I want to be when I grow up!

(09-26-2023, 11:09 PM)staceydiane Wrote: I am not a digital nomad right now, but my goal is to get an RV and live that life.  I'll probably just do it in the States, because of difficulties getting a passport (yay being adopted and being born in Texas, ugh.)

My wife is adopted and born in Texas.  Can you tell me more about the issues you've had with getting a passport?  She's never said anything about having difficulty but now I am wondering how hard it was to get her first one.
Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Applied Science, Minors: Management Info Systems & Political Science, summa cum laude
2022 Pierpont BOG AAS, Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tswede's post:
  • staceydiane
(09-28-2023, 12:03 AM)Tswede Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 11:09 PM)staceydiane Wrote: I am not a digital nomad right now, but my goal is to get an RV and live that life.  I'll probably just do it in the States, because of difficulties getting a passport (yay being adopted and being born in Texas, ugh.)

My wife is adopted and born in Texas.  Can you tell me more about the issues you've had with getting a passport?  She's never said anything about having difficulty but now I am wondering how hard it was to get her first one.

I was adopted at birth but it wasn't finalized until I was six months old.  When I applied for a passport a few years ago, it was rejected because I didn't have my original birth certificate (which didn't have my name on it anyway.)  Texas seals adoptees' birth records even after one reaches adulthood.  My birth mother told me she wishes that she hadn't come to Texas to give birth to me, because Arkansas lets adult adoptees have their original birth certificates.

I didn't even get the money refunded.

I met someone from the passport office a few years ago and he told me that adoptees born in Texas and California seem to have the most problems.

The weird thing is that I have never had an issue getting my REAL ID.  I've had one in three states.

My adopted parents passed away a few years ago and my brother threw away any of their files related to me.  An interesting thing that might be one reason I'm screwed is that my folks indicated on my amended birth certificate that I was born at home, when I wasn't.  I know where and when I was born!

I'm thinking about calling my Congressperson and also writing to the Texas Legislature to ask them to let adult adoptees have access to their birth records.  Every time the Texas Lege considers it, the adoption lobby screws us over.

Apparently it was easier for adoptees to get passports pre-9/11.
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS, BOG (Info Systems)---Pierpont Community and Technical College, December 2023
Certificate, Community Health Worker---Berkeley City College, December 2023

Currently: 
BA, Liberal Studies---Thomas Edison State University, (July 2024-present)

Considering:
graduate school someday, once I decide what I want to be when I grow up!

[-] The following 1 user Likes staceydiane's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
To add a new dimension to this topic:

What kind of work are you all doing as digital nomads? Most that I've run into in real life or online seem to be doing software & web design work or are trying to be social media influencers.

Surely, people are doing plenty of other jobs, so what are you all doing? Teaching remotely? Writing courses & books? Tell us more!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Messdiener's post:
  • staceydiane
I guess I'm a digital nomad? My fiancé and I live in an RV and have extensively traveled the US (especially the west coast), but also travel abroad whenever we feel like it (Australia, Europe, southeast Asia, etc). I absolutely love our lifestyle. I work full-time as a software engineer and also do some occasional contract work on the side (web development for small businesses & creating educational content for one of your favorite CBE platforms).
MS Software Development - Maryville University of St. Louis (2021) - GPA: 4.0  Heart
BS Psychology - Excelsior University (2019) - GPA: 3.75

...returned to help fiancé obtain his BABA in PM & MIS at UMPI (in progress)  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like impasta's post:
  • Messdiener, staceydiane, Tswede

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,742 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 1,073 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Remote Proctoring deemed illegal as violation of 4th amendment rights? MNomadic 45 4,046 08-26-2022, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Digital School aims to educate 1 million refugees bjcheung77 0 522 05-16-2022, 11:34 PM
  Pearson Acquires Digital Credentialing Leader Credly AllThose299s 8 1,321 01-31-2022, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Technion PhD students - Digital Tools for Genetic Counseling bjcheung77 0 571 01-29-2022, 03:58 AM
  IDEA has lost its two founders, who began in remote South Texas in 2000 bjcheung77 1 694 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Arden University - Undergrad/Grad Scholarships (selective countries only) bjcheung77 0 889 08-15-2021, 07:30 PM
  IU & LSBU Dual Degree (FREE iPad & No extra work required) bjcheung77 13 4,415 08-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: msa145
  Remote Exam Proctoring Software/System bjcheung77 3 1,231 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: innen_oda