Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you tarnish your reputation for the sake of getting a PhD?
I don't see any kind of misrepresentation by the school. They aren't accredited so they can call their degree anything they want. If the concern is that you don't need a publication in a peer-reviewed journal for your dissertation, then I would say it's not any worse than a PhD from NCU. NCU requires you submit your dissertation to a publication service like ProQuest. There's no audit or selection criteria. It just gets published.
(10-18-2022, 05:34 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't see curriculum for a PhD and DNM. I just see one curriculum.

Those would be 2 different degrees. At least I would think that they are. This place is so wonky so who knows what they are even awarding.
(10-17-2022, 12:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: Kanye is having a public mental breakdown and doesn't want to take medication for his bipolar disorder. Whatever this guy is doing isn't working.

This is off-topic for this thread but, what the hell.  I don't want to bash anyone who seems to be struggling with mental illness but he does seem a bit unstable.  Many people with Bipolar Disorder (I've heard that's his diagnosis) destabilize periodically and need to have their meds adjusted accordingly.  Medication refusal is typically a bad idea at these times.  Fortunately for him he has a lot of money and so he can access professional care quickly.  He is also surrounded by people who will, hopefully, catch him if he looks like he's going for a hard fall.  Most people don't have support systems like that and a manic/depressive episode can ruin their entire life.  I'm not a big Kanye fan but I hate to see someone mess up their life.
(10-19-2022, 10:30 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 12:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: Kanye is having a public mental breakdown and doesn't want to take medication for his bipolar disorder. Whatever this guy is doing isn't working.

This is off-topic for this thread but, what the hell.  I don't want to bash anyone who seems to be struggling with mental illness but he does seem a bit unstable.  Many people with Bipolar Disorder (I've heard that's his diagnosis) destabilize periodically and need to have their meds adjusted accordingly.  Medication refusal is typically a bad idea at these times.  Fortunately for him he has a lot of money and so he can access professional care quickly.  He is also surrounded by people who will, hopefully, catch him if he looks like he's going for a hard fall.  Most people don't have support systems like that and a manic/depressive episode can ruin their entire life.  I'm not a big Kanye fan but I hate to see someone mess up their life.

I think his ego and surrounding himself with YES men is not helping him. Yeah he has money for professional help, but paying quacks hasn't seemed to be working for him.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • Johann, ss20ts
(10-19-2022, 10:35 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-19-2022, 10:30 AM)Alpha Wrote:

I think his ego and surrounding himself with YES men is not helping him. Yeah he has money for professional help, but paying quacks hasn't seemed to be working for him.

People with Bipolar Disorder develop a problem with their prefrontal cortex and so there is a strong tendency to make bad decisions.  They need smart, reliable people around them to act as guardrails.  I think you're right when you say that he's taking bad advice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Johann
I don't see any point in attending a school that doesn't have a .EDU web address... But then again, every school has to start somewhere, I guess... Just not with me.
(10-20-2022, 01:19 AM)EDUxplorer Wrote: I don't see any point in attending a school that doesn't have a .EDU web address... But then again, every school has to start somewhere, I guess... Just not with me.

Some of the NA schools have existed for decades. VUL is over 100 years old. Lots of them are very questionable.
(10-19-2022, 04:18 AM)ifomonay Wrote: If the concern is that you don't need a publication in a peer-reviewed journal for your dissertation, then I would say it's not any worse than a PhD from NCU. 

Many "unaccredited schools", sometimes referred to as degree mills, require that their students take course, tests, write essays, dissertations and the whole thing looks pretty legitimate on the surface.  But if you actually look at the coursework it's clear that the material is at a 5th grade level.  Essays are written but does anyone even read them?  Maybe not.  Dissertations are written  but if you look at them they seem more like high school level writing and certainly not doctoral research.  You will hear people say "I worked hard for my degree!"  but the fact is, they don't even know what hard academic work looks like.  Don't be fooled.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • MNomadic
(10-20-2022, 07:41 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-20-2022, 01:19 AM)EDUxplorer Wrote: I don't see any point in attending a school that doesn't have a .EDU web address... But then again, every school has to start somewhere, I guess... Just not with me.

Some of the NA schools have existed for decades. VUL is over 100 years old. Lots of them are very questionable.

@EDUxplorer, the .com or .net doesn't really matter to someone like me, the accreditation is all I look for.  There are sites from various countries that have a .com, here's an example post I did earlier: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Processes

There are some sites that are .edu, like acenet.edu and they deal with education, but aren't an institution.  So, it really depends on what academics in other countries and their systems work.  Always make sure they're accredited or recognized, and you should be good.

@ss20ts, Yeah, totally, there are many ACISC institutions that just paid for the accreditation without even doing anything for them.  That's why ACISC was ordered to close.  I think some other NA accreditation agencies are on the chopping block as well, such as ACCSC.  It was talked about on the sister board... RA is most important, NA is only if the program you want isn't available elsewhere...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-19-2022, 04:18 AM)ifomonay Wrote: I don't see any kind of misrepresentation by the school. They aren't accredited so they can call their degree anything they want. If the concern is that you don't need a publication in a peer-reviewed journal for your dissertation, then I would say it's not any worse than a PhD from NCU. NCU requires you submit your dissertation to a publication service like ProQuest. There's no audit or selection criteria. It just gets published.

Many doctoral programs don't require a publication. What makes this school suspicious is that their doctoral-level courses only require an end-of-course exam after watching 20 hours of lectures.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 839 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Top 50 Universities by Reputation sanantone 1 873 08-07-2021, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Online graphic arts bachelor's with a solid industry reputation? passit1 8 2,044 04-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Last Post: AJ_Atlanta