Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Excelsior Business Degree Plan Help
For ENG 202: Business Writing, it doesn't look like this is available from an alternate source. It's possible that Technical Writing would work, but you'd have to talk to an Excelsior advisor about that.

It really seems like Excelsior is trying to force students to take more Excelsior classes. It may no longer be possible to get some degrees with just transfer credit, especially now that they've gotten rid of UExcels.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-29-2022, 03:12 PM)BalzeikChic Wrote: My 18 year old son has transferred 57 credits from Sophia to Excelsior for a BS- Business, just this month. We are hoping to get his degree by 2024, for as cheap as possible too. His 16 year old brother has knocked out all the same classes on Sophia, so it will be double cost for us. I haven't mapped it out quite as inexpensive as your plan, but we should still be under 10k for each degree. Oh, and I'm getting mine too, so there's that.

On my son's MAP from EU, Sophia's Intro to Ethics came in and fulfilled the Ethics requirement. I was shocked. But, Sophia's Eng Comp II did not satisfy the second Written English requirement (listed as ENG 202: Business Writing). I was shocked about that one too. So now we are looking for a quick and cheap fulfillment. I think Coppersmith has it, but I'm still looking. We have not ventured outside of Sophia yet.

I am so confused. I just looked at EU's August 2022 Undergraduate Catalog, and I do see that they added that Business Writing is required, but then it also states that "a minimum of 3 credits must be earned in Business Ethics with a minimum grade of C".  Huh
EU's website and catalog both say the same thing about this (I'm going to leave out anything related to quarter credits or CLEP exams for clarity):

Page 6 of the catalog: Bachelor's degree students must complete two expository writing courses (minimum 6 credit hours) OR one expository writing course or examination (minimum 3 credit hours) and one applied writing or disciplinary writing course (minimum three credit hours).

The written English requirement may be met in several ways including:
Expository writing courses such as ENG101: English Composition, ENG102: Composition II.

It also says this on their website: https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/general...uirements/

So if I'm in the position of trying to get a course through, I'm fighting HARD about their published policies in 2 places.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hmm... If one of the advisors or enrollment staff are giving you some push back for English Comp I/II combo, I would try another and see if they have the same push back. Excelsior should accept English I and II from a number of providers, I don't think there has been any recent changes to the requirement. Ask if you can use Study.com or another provider for Advanced Technical Writing or Business Communications, or something else if they do not accept the English Comp I/II combo for the writing requirement.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-31-2022, 10:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm... If one of the advisors or enrollment staff are giving you some push back for English Comp I/II combo, I would try another and see if they have the same push back.  Excelsior should accept English I and II from a number of providers, I don't think there has been any recent changes to the requirement.  Ask if you can use Study.com or another provider for Advanced Technical Writing or Business Communications, or something else if they do not accept the English Comp I/II combo for the writing requirement.

They definitely won't be able to use Business Comm, because they require that in the major/core.  And they won't allow you to duplicate courses (so using an UL and LL of the same course like TESU allows).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 328 6 hours ago
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 119 7 hours ago
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 273 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 256 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 257 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 208 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 549 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 298 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 308 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 150 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM