Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can now take CLEP at home!
Thank you, Rachel. I might try it out and see what happens, I have a friend living in the US so I could use his home address instead of a P.O. box Smile I understand the time zone difference but I can just do them in the evening when it's daytime in the US. Also, I believe my internet speed is faster than the majority in the US. I have fiber internet https://www.speedtest.net/result/11335918180.png
[-] The following 1 user Likes aleksa's post:
  • rachel83az
They don't require a social security number, but Proctortrack does require you to provide an ID to them when you sign up and then again during the beginning of a proctor session. It's CLEPs requirements that you be inside the United States, but you show the ID and proctor with Proctortrack.

If Proctortrack is tight with CLEPs rules then they'll definitely notice a non-United States ID. But you never know. People have gotten away with things worse than this. Maybe there's a disconnect between the actual enforcement.

Edit: By CLEP I mean College Board.
Thanks for the info Swoneus Smile
Not everyone living in the US has a US ID. I would not expect foreign students to have an American driver's license or ID card. I would just use a passport instead of an ID card if you want to try this.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you are a US citizen living abroad is that OK? I have US identification
College Board wants you to be in the United States, but you do the proctoring through Proctortrack, who will be the ones that check your ID. If you claim an address in the United States and have a government issued ID then you might get lucky. I think it's military ID, State ID card, passports, and military IDs. But College Board does say it needs to be government issued.

The only official exception is for DANTES funded test takers, which are service members, who can take the test abroad with Proctortrack.

I definitely don't endorse or recommend trying to take the test outside the United States unless you are covered under DANTES. But there's definitely a chance that you could do it. It's just a question of risk vs reward.
(05-08-2021, 02:08 PM)aleksa Wrote: Does anyone know if Modern States refund exam costs for non-US people? Also, does anyone know why CLEP at home has to be based in the US? Testing centers are at least a couple hundreds of kilometers away from me. Couldn't I use a US P.O. box as an address or do they require SSN? I don't understand this business of making it so damn hard for non-US people to work on their degree. I don't expect any financial aid, I just don't understand why taking a test at home has to be based in the US.

Why would non-US folks be reimbursed? Modern States is a US based charity trying to help freshman complete more credits at a savings. This program really seems to be aimed at high school/early college age students who are lower income, first college students in their family, etc type of need. Many of us in the US are an hour or more from a testing facility thus don't take CLEP exams. CLEP centers where I live have been closed since early March 2020 and are not reopen yet. We still have libraries not even open to the pubic. The DMV is closed except for appointments which are 6-8 weeks out. It's pretty crazy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FutureAD
Ok thank you!!
Just got an email from ModernStates (one of their semi-regular newsletters) confirming that they WILL reimburse proctoring fees for people who take the CLEP at home.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-17-2021, 11:15 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just got an email from ModernStates (one of their semi-regular newsletters) confirming that they WILL reimburse proctoring fees for people who take the CLEP at home.
I can't believe I forgot to mention this! Yes, Modern States will refund you the $30 proctor fee. You don't get a receipt from ProctorTrack, but instead your test ticket from College Board will reflect your proctor fee, which is what you'll send to Modern States.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What CLEP Courses? mpathy 4 191 09-22-2024, 06:06 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 4 1,003 09-05-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: lahuman1212
  French CLEP Exam Resources bonesmite 2 710 09-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: lahuman1212
  CLEP Economics marinereef 8 1,389 08-09-2024, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 7 1,218 04-19-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
  CLEP transcript question NOX 3 547 04-17-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 558 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 890 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 1,754 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 1,186 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP