Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Math courses - what are they like?
Hello everyone,
For those of you who have used Straighterline to complete any math courses on there, could you tell me what your experience was like?  How was the Straighterline platform - user-friendly or not as good as study.com?  Also, could you explain how he unit tests are compared to the final exam - timed, not timed, etc.  What was your prior math knowledge before taking the course and was it easier or harder than you would have thought?

Thank you all!
I took Calculus II. That class was both extremely difficult and somewhat doable at the same time. Everything except the final is open book. So, the ability to search was very helpful. The final is not open book, but one page of notes is allowed. I recommend spending a lot of time on developing a final exam note strategy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Yenisei
(02-27-2018, 09:18 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I took Calculus II.  That class was both extremely difficult and somewhat doable at the same time.  Everything except the final is open book.  So, the ability to search was very helpful.  The final is not open book, but one page of notes is allowed.  I recommend spending a lot of time on developing a final exam note strategy.

Thanks for the response.  Since the other tests (minus the final) were open book, was it easy to score 100 on all those?  Or even with it being open-book was it still difficult?  And are the tests all multiple choice?
Oh, it was difficult. I ended up passing with a 73% and that is on the lower range for me. Everything is multiple choice.

I took calculus in high school and then became an English teacher. During this past year, I have been taking all of the available math classes and I am up to almost 50 credit hours now in math or math-related classes.
(02-27-2018, 09:27 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Oh, it was difficult.  I ended up passing with a 73% and that is on the lower range for me.  Everything is multiple choice.

I took calculus in high school and then became an English teacher.  During this past year, I have been taking all of the available math classes and I am up to almost 50 credit hours now in math or math-related classes.

Just curious - are you going to use those 50 credit hours in math for additional teacher cert?  If so, what grades would it certify you in?
That is among my mid-range plans. I will graduate in June with a BSBA in CIS/Accounting, ASNSM in math and computer science. I will also have certs in marketing, finance, operations management and organizational leadership. I have also just completed a grad. cert. in economics education from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs.

The math classes are a side project. My goal was simply to put up a big number. Once I am done with the degree in June, I will start working the system for certification purposes. I am not completely sure how the various state boards of education view TESU credits, but I am going to try to pick up math certification and maybe something science related. I have secondary certification, so it would be middle school/high school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Yenisei
(02-27-2018, 09:18 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I took Calculus II.  That class was both extremely difficult and somewhat doable at the same time.  Everything except the final is open book.  So, the ability to search was very helpful.  The final is not open book, but one page of notes is allowed.  I recommend spending a lot of time on developing a final exam note strategy.

Could you say roughly how long you spent on this course? I'm trying to figure out when I can fit in into my schedule, but I'd rather not pay for the course in advance. So I don't have a lot to go on in terms of estimating hours it will take for the entire thing. Thanks!

Before you did this course, you were decent at Calc I? I believe I would find Calc I somewhat challenging right now.

Most of these posts seem to refer to Calculus. Has anyone taken SL College Algebra? My son is not mathy and has struggled with algebra for a long time. What tips do you have to share? How many hours did it take to complete? I assume the final is proctored? It seems a bit scary that 50% of the points come from the final. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Julie
It will be hard to find answers to a direct question, numbers will be changed. If you use mathway & desmos it will help. I think the pre-calc, the final only counts for 30%.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 191 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,804 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,935 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 374 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 320 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 465 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  StraighterLine Spam Emails... bjcheung77 2 281 07-16-2024, 09:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,181 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,336 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
  Straighterline TESU Pre Health Classes Melispheric 5 506 06-21-2024, 10:35 AM