Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to 'hide' a degree?
sanantone Wrote:In New Jersey? I believe TESU applied for accreditation in 2015 or 2016.

Yes, I'm in New Jersey, and this is what I understand from NASBA's website, but I could have read it wrong. If it's true, that would be really ironic...
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
sarg123 Wrote:Yes, I'm in New Jersey, and this is what I understand from NASBA's website, but I could have read it wrong. If it's true, that would be really ironic...

It would, but it would still be useful to TESU students in Illinois, Utah, and other states that give preferential treatment to ACBSP.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sarg123 Wrote:I have been told by my college advisers, and I think it's true, that it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad if you can get into a "good" graduate school. .

Which is no doubt also who signs their paychecks.

Seriously, the "good enough" threads make me want to bang my head on the wall. What's good enough? Well, from a technical standpoint, it's the degree you need for your career. If your career requires a certain license, then your degree will need to meet the licensure requirements (which may mean certain accreditations, I'll use nutrition as an example - you can get nutrition degrees all day long, but if you want to hold a license or RD, the college needs AND Accreditation). If your (target) career is competitive (ex. medicine, physician assistant, dental) then you have to carefully plan accordingly.

If you don't have a career, and are just checking the box, then your degree needs to be (a) finished - no, seriously, you have to graduate (b) accredited - regional trumps national in every instance.

You'll get a lot of people without a degree telling you where to get yours. Ignore them.

Beyond that, you're just debating Coke vs Pepsi, and it's a completely useless argument.
Is there a thread somewhere of the people here who got into reputable grad schools after getting a degree at one of the Big 3? It might be helpful for newbies to see that yes, you can get into a good or even great grad program with a Big 3 degree. I just got into UIUC's Master's in Accountancy program, and this accounting department is ranked as the third best accounting school in the U.S. Before I had decided on TESU (then TESC), I saw somewhere online that someone with a TESC degree had gotten into a Harvard grad program. I wish I could remember where I saw it. If the goal includes grad school, then a Big 3 degree should not pose any difficulty at all.

As others have pointed out, it is helpful to have your goals clearly laid out. Some employers won't care about the name of the school where the undergrad was obtained, but others will. For example, from what I understand, government jobs just want to see the undergrad and not so much the name of the school. But for high-paying jobs in the private sector, hiring managers will care more about where the undergrad was obtained and name recognition matters. This is why sometimes advice is given to obtain a degree from a state school in the local area, since the name is recognizable to local hiring managers.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Clearly defined goals will help navigate the nuances.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Is there a thread somewhere of the people here who got into reputable grad schools after getting a degree at one of the Big 3? It might be helpful for newbies to see that yes, you can get into a good or even great grad program with a Big 3 degree. I just got into UIUC's Master's in Accountancy program, and this accounting department is ranked as the third best accounting school in the U.S. Before I had decided on TESU (then TESC), I saw somewhere online that someone with a TESC degree had gotten into a Harvard grad program. I wish I could remember where I saw it. If the goal includes grad school, then a Big 3 degree should not pose any difficulty at all.

As others have pointed out, it is helpful to have your goals clearly laid out. Some employers won't care about the name of the school where the undergrad was obtained, but others will. For example, from what I understand, government jobs just want to see the undergrad and not so much the name of the school. But for high-paying jobs in the private sector, hiring managers will care more about where the undergrad was obtained and name recognition matters. This is why sometimes advice is given to obtain a degree from a state school in the local area, since the name is recognizable to local hiring managers.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Clearly defined goals will help navigate the nuances.

There have been many, here are 2:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...uates.html

and

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...duate.html

What I think needs to be emphasized, is that the admissions requirements of ANY school you apply to must be met. If you didn't do that during your undergrad, you've disqualified yourself, it has nothing to do with the college. Didn't accumulate graded credit? That's your fault. Didn't take lab sciences because you used CLEP? That's your fault. See where that's going? Most of grad school admissions hype is mythology. I'd rather see a thread of people who have failed to gain admission to the grad school of their choice. That would be more useful, and I predict it would be very very short.

Often people confuse testing out of a degree with attending one of the big 3, and they are different things. Testing out, to some degree or another, is probably the bigger better question, not one of the colleges that make up the big 3.

I've already shared my grad school journey, but I'll post it again. I've applied and been accepted unconditionally into each of these grad programs (except Canisius, I had to petition and ask for a waiver since I was not a Registered Dietitian - but got in and graduated with honors for what its worth) as well as an accelerated (second bachelor) BSN:

Western New Mexico University, MA (Dual) Psychology and English
University of Adelaide, MA Gastronomy
Open University of Catalonia, MA Food Studies *this is an open university
University of Illinois, MA Recreation and Tourism
Harvard University (Extension), Master of Liberal Arts: Psychology
Northcentral University, Master of Education
Andrew Jackson University, MBA Health care Administration
University of Cincinnati, MSN Midwifery
Vanderbilt University, MSN (Dual) Midwifery/ Family Nurse Practitioner
Trinity College Nursing, BSN
Canisius College, MS Nutrition
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Is there a thread somewhere of the people here who got into reputable grad schools after getting a degree at one of the Big 3? It might be helpful for newbies to see that yes, you can get into a good or even great grad program with a Big 3 degree.

I'm going to agree with Jennifer here, in that what's much more important than which school you go to, is making sure that you've met all the requirements to get into the grad school of your choice. If you haven't planned for something that you want, then it's pretty easy to figure out that you're going to have a harder time getting in. If you sit down and look at your goals, and work backwards from there, you can mitigate a lot of the problems right up front.

AND, if you already have a degree, and decide later that you want to go to a particular grad school, and you haven't met the requirements, you can find ways to do that too. Worst thing that can happen is that you have to choose a different school. But, there will still be plenty of schools that will take you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It also greatly matters what the rest of your application has in it. Depending on the degree, practical experience in the field can trump GPA and other issues. So can a great GRE or GMAT score. It's also quite possible to take (or retake) certain prerequisite courses, if necessary, to buff up your application.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I work with lots of other folks that work on rockets and rocket engines....a big ol chunk of them do not have degrees (me either). Of course, most gained experience in the Space Shuttle program and smaller vehicle programs/missile programs/military....but some are hired for their experience in non-aerospace areas, if they "fit". Lots of folks in non "engineering" positions have degrees from all over the board, including some for-profits and NA schools. Lots of folks in the business department, IT department, manufacturing department, test department have UOP and similar degrees, some COSC and TESC, some no degrees....this includes plenty of management positions, too. We are all doing quite fine. Go get experience at whatever you want to do, get good at what you do, and start sending out resumes.

Internships and experience are huge in aerospace. You will be lucky to find any engineers without multiple internships (if not tons of experience) with big name companies before they got hired. Lots of engineers get hired quickly after school, all will have multiple meaningful internships, and attended schools with a football team you have heard of. But for everyone else, the thousand other kinds of positions, you could have a Yale or a UOP degree and it will not make a difference.

But worrying about a degree from any RA program, b&m or online, is ridiculous.....except for engineering, non entry-level medical field, etc. It will always matter to someone, but there are plenty more that it does not matter to. Keep applying to places until you find the ones it does not matter to (which is most of them). Don't worry so much. Find out what you want to do, look on indeed, monster, linkedin, etc and see what is required for those positions...then do what they require. And gain experience any way you can.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,478 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 350 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,720 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,291 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,375 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,908 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 882 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy