Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Cross Excelsior to TECU BSBA Degree Plan help
I stumbled onto this article by Josh Kaufman and found out about Jay Cross do-it-yourself degree. After reading through his page I was hesitant to make such a purchase on something that i could not find any info on. Fast Forward years later Cross publishes a book that was in my budget. After I read his book I was convinced and ready to start my DIY degree with Excelsior but i didn't know how to plan my degree. After some google searches I found degreeforum:hurray:.

I am like most people on here, 29 year old NYC male at a dead end residential union concierge job. I am just looking to start a career with growth. I know having a degree is a starting point to achieve my career goal. A Property manager or superintendent are all growth opportunities for me with a degree and certifications . I attended CC some time ago and would like to get a BSBA with a minor in management. I was considering Excelsior because of Cross recommendation in his book but after reading through some of the forum I am leaning towards TESU. I understand that TESU is faster and might be cheaper. I want to start this week to test out.

Here is my Excelsior Evaluation

1. Degree Template.
Arts and Sciences Component (30) + Professional Component (45) + Elective Component (45) =
Total Degree Credits Required (120)
Credits
Needed
ARTS AND SCIENCES (30 SEMESTER HOURS) TO INCLUDE:
Written English 3.00
Humanities Requirement
Ethics 0.00
Humanities Electives 0.00
Social Sciences/History Requirement
Social Sciences/History 6.00
Natural Science/Math Requirement
College Algebra or Statistics 3.00
Math Elective 3.00
Science Elective 3.00
Natural Science/Math Elective 0.00
Total Arts and Sciences
Total Upper Level Arts and Sciences 9.00
PROFESSIONAL COMPONENT (45 CREDITS) TO INCLUDE:
General Management 3.00
Leadership 3.00
Accounting 3.00
Computer Applications 3.00
Project Management 3.00
Business and Management Core
Human Resource Management 3.00
Marketing 3.00
Finance 3.00
Organizational Behavior 3.00
Global Business 3.00
Integrated Business and Management Assessment 3.00
Professional Component Electives 12.00
Total Professional Component
Total Upper Level Professional Component 15.00
ADDITIONAL CREDIT COMPONENT (45 CREDITS) TO INCLUDE

Symbol Courses Applied Credits Level
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK LAGUARDIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE
HUP*102 CRITICAL THINKING 3.0 L
ENG*103 RESEARCH PAPER 2.0 L
HUP*104 ETHICS & MORAL ISSUES 3.0 L
LIB*110 INTG. SEM:LA CLUSTER 1.0 L
#
ENG*101 COMPOSITION I 3.0 L
H
HUC*106 PUBLIC SPEAKING 3.0 L
SYMBOL KEY
H Humanities Core Requirement Satisfied
# English Requirement Satisfied

It would be great if someone can help me plan out my TESU BSBA Degree Plan.

I would like to take a course in Black history, Photography and Digital Marketing.

Thanks In Advance.
There is a lot more beneficial information to come from the well-informed folks on this forum, but I just wanted to point out how fortunate it is that you didn't give in to the out of date, uniformed snake-oil salesman that is Jay Cross. He did this years ago, and instead of keeping up to date, he just wants your money. We'll do it for free here, but give you up to date, relevant info.

Of course, if you insist on spending money for free the info he otherwise charges you for... Let me provide my PayPal address Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Also, not that it matters much...

But it's not TECU.

It was once TESC (Thomas Edison State College)... But they upgraded and are now TESU (Thomas Edison State University). This is mostly a vanity thing, but a cool thing that has changed recently.

A thing that Cross probably isn't aware of, but would charge you $3,000 to learn for you, if you're interested.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I think my first response to any thread is - if you don't have your math credits join ALEKS now and try to get your "classes" to 70% and on your ace transcript before the end of the month. College Algebra (and Intermediate Algebra) for $20 - No better deal that I can think of until it expires.
Instead of putting your EC eval on here, can you put your actual courses that you've taken? List by school (including whether it was a CC or 4-yr school, and if it was semester or quarter), and include the course number, full course name, number of credits earned, and the grade if you got less than a C. I can make you a degree plan from there.

If you want some fast credits, you can take the free Ethics course now: Preserve the trust on which insurance transactions are based with an understanding of ethics and add it to your ACE transcript.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
jsd Wrote:There is a lot more beneficial information to come from the well-informed folks on this forum, but I just wanted to point out how fortunate it is that you didn't give in to the out of date, uniformed snake-oil salesman that is Jay Cross. He did this years ago, and instead of keeping up to date, he just wants your money. We'll do it for free here, but give you up to date, relevant info.

Of course, if you insist on spending money for free the info he otherwise charges you for... Let me provide my PayPal address Wink

Fortunate Indeed. I couldn't spend that much money because the whole DIY deree was new to me and not enough evidence to convince me . After reading through this Forum i am convinced

jsd Wrote:Also, not that it matters much...

But it's not TECU.

It was once TESC (Thomas Edison State College)... But they upgraded and are now TESU (Thomas Edison State University). This is mostly a vanity thing, but a cool thing that has changed recently.

A thing that Cross probably isn't aware of, but would charge you $3,000 to learn for you, if you're interested.

I was aware of the change from college to University. Just typos.

Wish I could edit the title.

Thanks for the correction.Wink

dfrecore Wrote:Instead of putting your EC eval on here, can you put your actual courses that you've taken? List by school (including whether it was a CC or 4-yr school, and if it was semester or quarter), and include the course number, full course name, number of credits earned, and the grade if you got less than a C. I can make you a degree plan from there.

If you want some fast credits, you can take the free Ethics course now: Preserve the trust on which insurance transactions are based with an understanding of ethics and add it to your ACE transcript.

Thanks i will get on it ASAP. I just went to my CC website and i have to go in person to pick up my unofficial transcript. I Attended two CUNY CC.

If there is anyway I acquire my courses from my previous colleges faster please inform me.
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:I think my first response to any thread is - if you don't have your math credits join ALEKS now and try to get your "classes" to 70% and on your ace transcript before the end of the month. College Algebra (and Intermediate Algebra) for $20 - No better deal that I can think of until it expires.

I will look into it today. hopefully i can have my degree plan by the end of the month.
Thanks for everyones help so far. let me get to reading more of the forum and getting informed.

Also, taking Moocs, coursera, lynda, edx etc.......... would I be able to use those for credit?

Thanks again
If you are looking at ALEKS, start with Intermediate Algebra, then College Algebra, Statistics, and possibly Precalculus if you have the time/ aptitude. Intermediate Algebra and Precal would count as general education electives, College Algebra fulfills the Quantitative Literacy requirement, and Stats fulfills the Math requirement. College Algebra and Stats are the two courses you must have for a BSBA at TESU, but the other two are cheap and easy to do, especially the Intermediate Algebra.

Search the forum for efficient ways to complete ALEKS courses.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Start on ALEKS now before you look at other courses. Seriously. It expires January 31, so focus on the math and then look at the rest.

Actually, apply for the Guardian scholarship from Study.com, then work on ALEKS.
Get Free Access to Study.com's College Accelerator Sponsored by Guardian | Study.com
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,469 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 346 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,712 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,190 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,363 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 747 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,899 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 882 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy