Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
42 Credits In and Looking to Finish Fast!
Hello everyone!! New to this forum and excited to be here Smile

I am looking for some advice on how to proceed with finishing my BS degree as fast as possible. I currently have 42 credits through community college, Straighterline, and ALEKS. I just applied to all of the "big 3" schools to see where I stand with each of them. I was originally planning on getting my BS in psychology because it is somewhat interesting to me. However, I eventually want to study Chinese Medicine, and from talking to a few master degree programs they do not care what your degree is in, just as long as you have one. This is the case with every CM school I would be interested in attending. Master programs for CM are 4 year programs so I want to get started as soon as possible... especially because I have put off my bachelors for such a long time Wink
Here are the credits I have so far:
COMMUNITY COLLEGE:
Phys Anthropology
Race and Ethnicity Theories
Intro to Peace and Conflict Studies
Mind/Body Health
Abnormal Psychology
Hip Hop Dance
ALEKS:
College Algebra
STRAIGHTERLINE:
English I and II
Intro Psychology
Business Communications
Intro Criminal Justice
Intro Sociology
Into Religion
Intro Philosophy

I obviously have not taken any CLEPs or DSSTs yet because I am a nervous test taker. But I will eventually start taking them. I prefer to have classes where I can jam out the work as fast as possible...this is why I really like Straighterline. I would like to take all the SL courses I can that would be transferable. I also really enjoyed the setup of ALEKS. I just found out about FEMA and Sophia on this forum and am very interested in trying these out as well...
So I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to finish 78 credits as fast as possible in whatever degree seems to be the easiest at this point!

Thank you so much!
I am not a good one to discuss which degree, but I could offer some different advice (for after you figure out your degree):
1) Take more ALEKS courses if you have time left (Intermediate Algebra, Trig or Precalculus, Statistics) because you've already paid the $20, you might as well get as many credits as you can.
2) TEEX courses - all 3 together is 6 units (FREE)
3) Take the Kaplan PLA course (FREE)
4) If you are good at math, you might want to consider additional math courses since you've worked through Algebra already, and especially if you go through Stats - Applied Liberal Arts Math (TECEP), College Math (CLEP, 6 units), Business Math (DSST)
5) If you are good at Computers, you can also add a group of those: Intro to Computing (DSST) OR Information Systems (CLEP), Computer Concepts & Applications (TECEP), Management Information Systems (DSST), and Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (DSST - but only if you don't already have TEEX IT Prof course, they duplicate).
6) Take a Sophia course if you get a great deal (I took Project Management for FREE).
7) Obviously, if you're already paid for at SL, take as many courses as you can fit into that paid-for time period.

Of course, you will want to determine which degree you want first, and see where/if these will fit in. But these are the best source of free courses, or then easier (than average) courses to pass once you've already studied for one in a group.

There are other good groupings of courses as well, but it looks like you have a lot of GenEd stuff already (or Social Sciences).

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The quickest bachelors would probably be either liberal studies/liberal arts or social sciences. I think COSC might accept FEMA IS directly, Excelsior might accept FEMA IS if you get college credit from FCC first, TESC does not accept FEMA IS. You would have to check with the colleges as policies do change from time to time. The big 3 will accept any FEMA that is ACE recommended. The FEMA IS courses are popular but I don't think they are ACE recommended. The TEEX Cyber security courses are popular and they are ACE recommended. One problem with CLEPs or DSSTs is finding a test center. Check with the big 3 and see what the limit is on SL and then take as many as you can that will fit with your degree program. TESC has a very generous, flexible transfer policy, I'm less familiar with the other schools, though they all seem to be transfer friendly.

Degree Forum Wiki
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
Thank you so much for the quick replies! Both of your advice is incredibly helpful! I will definitely be considering a liberal arts degree. I just got my evaluation back from TESC and it looks like I have a few GenEd courses still but a huge bulk of what I need are electives. I am hoping that is where FEMA will really come in handy. Has anyone done the pay by credit process at TESC? I am confused as to how this works...
I am currently enrolled in the Pay Per Credit program. I was confused by it at first. The Pay Per Credit program allows you to pay for each credit individually. The Pay Per Credit plan does require 24 credits of residency. The residency requirement can be satisfied by all TESC "courses". TESC courses include online, E-pack, guided study or TECEPs. There was a recent discussion on here and it looks like TESC may allow PLA to be used as well, though you would want to confirm with TESC. PLA is writing intensive and for Liberal Studies I think most would recommend sticking with SL or other alternative credits since there are plenty of easier options. Most students use TECEPs to satisfy the residency requirement. The BA Liberal Studies requires a capstone which has to be taken at TESC. You would pay for the capstone at the current per credit rate. The rates vary based on residency or if your participating in a special program (military, corporate choice). One method for the BA is to take the capstone which is 3 residency credits and then take 7 TECEPs. The TECEPs have a different rate, $37/credit. The TECEPs are similar to DSST, CLEP. You study the material on your own and then take a test. TESC has study guides that recommends various study materials. The TECEPs can be taken by online proctor. I was a little unsure at first but the online proctoring is very convenient. Also with the Pay Per Credit plan you do not need to formally enroll. When you apply and TESC officially admits you, you become an applicant. You then have 6 months to enroll. For the Pay Per Credit plan enrolling is done by signing up for a TECEP. When you sign up for your first TECEP, 10 days into the TECEP semester you automatically become enrolled in the Pay Per Credit plan. The enrollment is good for 12 months. Each time you register for a TECEP your 12 months will reset, according to my account. I registered for a TECEP in the April semester and then registered for a TECEP in the July semester. The 12 month enrolment period is now based on my July semester. If I do not take any more TECEPs or TESC courses I will be enrolled until July of next year. If I sign up for a TECEP or TESC course in Oct. I will then be enrolled until Oct of next year. In order to graduate under the Pay Per Credit plan you have to be enrolled and you have to satisfy the 24 residency credits requirement. The residency credits do not have to fit into you degree plan. It is recommended that you try to use the residency credits/TECEPs to satisfy degree requirements, if possible that way you do not have to take extra courses that are not needed.

At first I was nervous about taking the tests for credit by exam but it is not too bad. I found that it is not as hard as I originally thought. It helps if you choose exams that you are interested in or are familiar with the topic. I have completed 4 DSST exams, 2 TECEPs and 1 ECE. I am currently registered for 3 TECEPs and 1 ECE.

http://www.tesc.edu/tuition/Per-Credit.cfm

http://www2.tesc.edu/listalltecep.php

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
swalke321,
Thank you for that detailed reply! I really appreciate it. Ok, I will consider going that route...may I ask you what you are planning on getting your degree in?
Criminal Justice/Psychology

Hey there,
I am trying to star the TEEX courses. So I looked up the cyber security courses...so I take the 3 courses in each of CYB101, CYB 102, and CYB 103, correct? THANKS!
Hope11 Wrote:I just got my evaluation back from TESC and it looks like I have a few GenEd courses still but a huge bulk of what I need are electives. I am hoping that is where FEMA will really come in handy...

TESC does not accept FEMA credits.
BA, Liberal Studies - Charter Oak State College, 2018
AAS, Police Administration - Nashville State Community College, 2016
AAS, Board of Governors, West Virginia University at Parkersburg, 2015

Hello there,
I am in the same predicament as you. The only difference is I have several lower level credits and seeking upper level credits to finish my degree. I have applied to Excelsior and am waiting on my evaluation. In the mean time, I am trying to find affordable credits. I am a nervous test taker so I don't think I would be good at CLEP, DSST ECEs or TECEPS. So, what I did find was that Penn Foster has several college courses that are ACE approved for upper level. On monday, I signed up for three course. It is saturday and I have completed 9 MC exams, 4 discussion boards and 1 final project (5 page research paper). The work is not too difficult. *note- I also work a full time 40+ hour/wk job.*
Needless to say, I have been burning the midnight oil. However, I am DETERMINED to finish my degree by the end of 2015

So, if you are interested, check into Penn Foster courses. Just make sure they are ACE approved BEFORE you sign up. and Good Luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,341 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,579 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,862 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,069 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,767 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,489 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 3,135 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,739 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,616 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 11,327 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family