Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your opinion on Straighterline
I have been researching Straighterline and I am about to start my first course through them. I would really like to know the complete opinions of people that have taken courses from Straighterline. Did anyone purchase textbooks? Do you advise using textbooks? What was your overall experience? What was the difficulty level?

I am in what would be my second semester of college and I have decided to try another route to my education rather than attending a school. Starting next week I will be working full time at my workplace, while attempting to complete 4 courses by the end of the college semester. I would really appreciate any feedback and also what others might advice me to do.

My goal is to take Business Communications, Micro Econ, and College Algebra this semester, along with a Marketing Clep.
I can't comment on Business communications or College algebra, but I like SL as a whole. I don't find it too difficult. Microeconomics/Macroeconmics in particular require a ton of quizes (which makes this different than most the classes I've taken).

I would look to Saylor for Business Communications, and CLEP for the other two personally, however I do recommend SL for all of their other courses.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
cameronbroadhurst Wrote:I have been researching Straighterline and I am about to start my first course through them. I would really like to know the complete opinions of people that have taken courses from Straighterline. Did anyone purchase textbooks? Do you advise using textbooks? What was your overall experience? What was the difficulty level?

I am in what would be my second semester of college and I have decided to try another route to my education rather than attending a school. Starting next week I will be working full time at my workplace, while attempting to complete 4 courses by the end of the college semester. I would really appreciate any feedback and also what others might advice me to do.

My goal is to take Business Communications, Micro Econ, and College Algebra this semester, along with a Marketing Clep.

The better question is does your college accept credit from Straighterline? You've seen it in writing somewhere?
Get the textbooks. the material on the tests come from the book. I'm on my second class and I have stopped watching the course and i'm focusing on reading the chapters. You can even ignore the filler (case studies, further reading, whatever they are called) and just read the main text of the chapters. For Business Ethics I watched all of the videos and took notes and it didn't help that much for the tests. All the test material came from the book and it was like the author of the videos used a different book.

I like ALEKS better for the math classes. Wish I would have known about it before i enrolled at COSC.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Yeah all credits are transferable at Thomas Edison State University.
mednat Wrote:I can't comment on Business communications or College algebra, but I like SL as a whole. I don't find it too difficult. Microeconomics/Macroeconmics in particular require a ton of quizes (which makes this different than most the classes I've taken).

I would look to Saylor for Business Communications, and CLEP for the other two personally, however I do recommend SL for all of their other courses.

How do the Saylor course transfer to a University? I am planning on transferring my credits to Thomas Edison, but it seems like Saylor is not accredited?
cameronbroadhurst Wrote:How do the Saylor course transfer to a University? I am planning on transferring my credits to Thomas Edison, but it seems like Saylor is not accredited?

Saylor and SL are not colleges, so they are not eligible to become accredited. They do have work-arounds that allow their courses to count as credit at TESC. That's why I asked earlier about knowing if the credit would transfer. SL and Saylor are excellent and cheap options for TESC. If you are even 1% doubting finishing your degree with TESC you will likely not get to use those credits elsewhere- just be sure.
Loved straighterline...I would def recommend doing as many courses as you can in a month so you don't have to pay to renew your $99 subscription. You absolutely need the textbooks for SL- ebooks are preferable and you may be able to find them for free. Trying to use a hard copy of the book during the timed exam is tough. They were also very quick to send the transcript to TESC.
Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
DSST: Supervision
STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
PENN FOSTER: Finance
cameronbroadhurst Wrote:How do the Saylor course transfer to a University? I am planning on transferring my credits to Thomas Edison, but it seems like Saylor is not accredited?

Saylor works off of ACE and NCCRS approval and direct partnerships for courses that do not have approval. Straighterline works off of ACE approval and has guaranteed acceptance for at least some of their courses at 78 schools. The acceptance of Straighterline and Saylor courses at non-partner schools depends on those schools' general acceptance of ACE and NCCRS credits. ACE is more well-known than NCCRS.

TESC is pretty liberal in its acceptance of ACE and NCCRS credits. They are also a partner college with Straighterline and Saylor. However, they will not accept Saylor's non-ACE or non-NCCRS courses for credit. All of this also applies to EC and COSC. Brandman University and a couple of other schools accept some of Saylor's computer science and/or business courses that do not have ACE or NCCRS approval. I think one school also accepts some of Saylor's humanities and social science courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have taken several courses with Straighterline and was pleased with how easy the entire process is, how you complete the course at your own pace and they are inexpensive. I did not purchase books for the courses I took as I was able to get them for free. However, I definitely advise you to get the books needed for courses and read the assigned material. E-books are great for easily finding answers to questions. Many times they use the exact sentences from the book. I did not find the courses difficult at all. The only thing I would caution you on is to check anything that is graded as they make a lot of mistakes in grading. If you know you answered something correctly, let them know. They will check it and fix your grade if you are correct. Good luck!
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your opinion on The Open University UK? nomaduser 12 2,372 11-08-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: alfiooo
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 989 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 895 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,262 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 1,005 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 4,054 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,427 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,566 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,941 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii
  In your opinion, who should not earn a degree from the Big Three? theclepexam 17 3,529 05-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Last Post: natshar