Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACBSP accreditation for an associates degree, does it matter?
I just declared a major at my CC and some of the AAS degrees have ACBSP accreditation. The person at the school who processed my paperwork was really trying hard for me to go for the AAS that has ACBSP accreditation. Can someone chime in how that would benefit me in any way?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
IMO, there are no real benefits of ACBSP accreditation at this level.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:IMO, there are no real benefits of ACBSP accreditation at this level.

I didn't think so either. It sounded like the new script they are pushing.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Yanji Wrote:IMO, there are no real benefits of ACBSP accreditation at this level.
Especially for an applied science degree.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I've seen one for AACSB in which the school would waive a few requirements for their graduate program if one had a lower level degree with the same accreditation, but even so, a lot of the prerequisites can still be met even if one never had the same accreditation in their lower level degrees, as long as proficiency can be established (e.g. I only need to complete the Calculus requirement for SEMO's MBA program, as every other requirement for the program I've met even though my degree is not AACSB accredited, as well as a few CLEPs/DSSTs I've taken required for it).

But unless there are specific jobs looking for programmatic accreditation for an associates, I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.
I've seen MBA programs that will waive leveling courses if one has an AACSB-accredited bachelor's degree. One, in particular, will not accept standalone prerequisites to waive the leveling courses. APUS requires prerequisites if one does not have an AACSB or ACBSP-accredited bachelor's degree. I haven't seen programmatic business accreditation matter at the associate's level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I've seen MBA programs that will waive leveling courses if one has an AACSB-accredited bachelor's degree. One, in particular, will not accept standalone prerequisites to waive the leveling courses. APUS requires prerequisites if one does not have an AACSB or ACBSP-accredited bachelor's degree. I haven't seen programmatic business accreditation matter at the associate's level.

Doesn't it cost the school money to be accredited by them?
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accreditation of Christian Orgnization hsufeng 3 258 09-15-2024, 02:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 458 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,563 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 446 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,993 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,487 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,476 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,651 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 811 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Associates at 11 years old... bjcheung77 2 475 05-30-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Spyrine