Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD versus 2nd Masters
My other thread, "Addicted," has inspired me to ask a question regarding PhD's versus obtaining a 2nd Masters. I'm not talking about myself, I'm just curious about what everyone thinks about the general pros and cons. Basically, if you had the choice, would you choose a PhD or another Masters? What is your reason? What are the pros and cons to both choices? Here is what I've come up with:

Getting a PhD -
Pros: highest level of academic achievement, extremely prestigious, beneficial for those who may wish to pursue an academic career, huge personal accomplishment.
Cons: Few available programs for working adults, time-consuming, research-focused (this could be a pro or a con, but for me, taking many classes on how to do research + statistical analysis sounds like a snoozefest)

Getting a 2nd Masters:
Pros: TONS of options worldwide, ability to choose a more "prestigious" university (not important to me, but might be important to someone who feels insecure about having a Big 3 undergrad,) less time consuming
Cons: What does having a few more letters behind your name really do? Not likely to enhance career except under very specific conditions, low ROI, possible lack of friends/family support - for example, everyone is proud of you getting a masters degree, but might think you're crazy or a perpetual student if you go back to school.

Any other thoughts? Would love all opinions even if you would never consider getting either a PhD or a masters.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
This is just my opinion.

A second master's is good for advancement (an MBA to move up to management in almost any field), to qualify to teach another subject as an adjunct or community college professor, or career changes (a counselor who wants to become a nurse practitioner or physician assistant).

A PhD is good for someone who wants to become a researcher and/or professor, enter a profession that requires a doctorate (psychologist), become a consultant in certain fields, or obtain the degree for personal fulfillment.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
burbuja0512 Wrote:My other thread, "Addicted," has inspired me to ask a question regarding PhD's versus obtaining a 2nd Masters. I'm not talking about myself, I'm just curious about what everyone thinks about the general pros and cons. Basically, if you had the choice, would you choose a PhD or another Masters? What is your reason? What are the pros and cons to both choices? Here is what I've come up with:

Getting a PhD -
Pros: highest level of academic achievement, extremely prestigious, beneficial for those who may wish to pursue an academic career, huge personal accomplishment.
Cons: Few available programs for working adults, time-consuming, research-focused (this could be a pro or a con, but for me, taking many classes on how to do research + statistical analysis sounds like a snoozefest)

Getting a 2nd Masters:
Pros: TONS of options worldwide, ability to choose a more "prestigious" university (not important to me, but might be important to someone who feels insecure about having a Big 3 undergrad,) less time consuming
Cons: What does having a few more letters behind your name really do? Not likely to enhance career except under very specific conditions, low ROI, possible lack of friends/family support - for example, everyone is proud of you getting a masters degree, but might think you're crazy or a perpetual student if you go back to school.

Any other thoughts? Would love all opinions even if you would never consider getting either a PhD or a masters.

That's my girl......
There's no reason you can't do both. Wink

I plan to do a PhD in marketing analytics (full-time) in a few years, but I am seriously considering getting a second Master's degree part-time before then in statistics or sustainability just to bolster my academic resume and get some quality graduate level research under my belt before applying for a PhD. Since I'll graduate with an MBA from a top 20 business school in about 9 months, I have no particular qualms about my undergrad background, but I know that having a second Master's degree can really help in getting into a competitive PhD program. There's countless professors here who earned two Master's degrees before/enroute to getting their PhD, and none of them regret doing it.

But even if you aren't going to do both, I think a second Master's degree is more practical for the "real world", where PhDs are largely unnecessary. If you can find a Master's degree program that is in an area of professional interest to you and fits your needs, I think it can be a very pragmatic investment. PhDs are just way too much commitment for someone who doesn't want a career in research/academia, imo.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

I looked at the cost of a doctorate. I plan on finishing my master's in 18 months, God willing. I told myself that I'm just not interested in going that far but I did want to know what programs were available. However, when I saw the cost, :ack:
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Unless they already have enough money to pay cash for it, I would strongly advise people not do a PhD unless they have funding for it. That might mean a teaching or research assistantship where tuition and a stipend are provided, or perhaps funding from their current employment, or military/ federal benefits. Otherwise, unless it will advance their career or place on the salary scale in education, people too often end up with tens of thousands of dollars in debt and still no job even with the PhD.

Disclaimer: I got my Ed.S. when online post-master's programs were just beginning (tuition reimbursed by job), and I couldn't find any manageable online doctoral program back then. Now I am in a quandary of having what is supposed to be a terminal degree...that isn't a PhD or EdD. So even though the EdS puts me right where a PhD would on my school's salary schedule, I still fight feeling like I'm not done yet.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
People are assuming that a doctorate has to be a lot more expensive. I believe the PhD program at University of Southern Mississippi is 20-something thousand. The Doctor of Public Administration at Valdosta State University is around $18k. They let you create your own concentration. The Ed.D at University of the Cumberlands (warning: they are very conservative and religious) is 20-something thousand and has many concentrations including history, psychology, criminal justice, and business. Many distance PhD programs are 3-year programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My doctoral program is only slightly more than what my M.Ed. cost, though I will say that ended up going a somewhat expensive route with the Master's because I thought the perks outweighed the cost on it.

I'm going to UC, which Sanantone mentioned above and it runs about $350/credit or something like that, runs 66 credits for the PhD or 60 credits for the EdD, and allows for 18 credits (taken after a Master's degree) to be transferred in. I'm running around $22k for my degree (not including books), but if you've already got more than one Master's, you can shave off 18 credits of cost. My M.Ed. ran about $19,500 but that included all books and an iPad. While the B&M portion of the school may be ultra-religious, I haven't really encountered that in my online coursework, but I'm only wrapping up my second class. In Sept, I'm going out of program to wrap up my area of specialization through the UC Psych department and I'm doubling up on classes for the next two semesters to get that knocked out. Besides, it gives me 18 official grad Psych credits so I can teach undergrad Psychology classes when the mouthbreathers in school credentialing departments don't understand the scope of my M.Ed. Tongue
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
A lot more expensive than what? My master's is 12k so those prices are a lot more expensive.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:A lot more expensive than what? My master's is 12k so those prices are a lot more expensive.
...Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a rather self-centred way of thinking. The thing is, $20-30k of unfunded tuition for a PhD is exceptionally cheap, and just because your 1 year Master's degree has a lower total cost doesn't change that fact. The amount of personal attention from the department that a PhD requires is far greater than any Master's degree. In addition, if you are doing the PhD on a face-to-face basis (which is almost always the case), they are almost always at least partially-funded, which dramatically lowers their actual cost. I know in business, for example, that all PhDs are fully funded at any top 50 business school in the US. (except for Case Western Reserve's online program, but I'm not even sure they count as top 50)
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Versus Pandemic Inflation (What to Consider) Kal Di 14 1,808 03-16-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Xyxyfendz
  US Masters CBE While Traveling Abroad[Long Post] yb1 7 2,918 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  $3000 Accreditted Masters (MS/MBA) from Aspen pugman 21 6,607 04-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  University of Florida Masters in Forensic Science publius2k4 3 1,354 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Last Post: hkhart
  Is a masters degree really worth it? publius2k4 7 1,419 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Online versus Face-to-Face Survey Muricles 2 876 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: HorseManiac
  Online Masters with no proctored examinations? Ace_King 15 5,971 04-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Yanji
  Columbia Southern University - Masters Programs mrs.b 4 1,189 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Decided on masters, Western Governers MS Information Security Assurance ryoder 11 2,310 10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
  Nichols college at your own pace masters ryoder 4 1,650 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM