Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For-Profit Colleges: Good Choice or Bane of the Education World?
How to Vet a For-Profit Online Program - US News

I'm signing up with a for-profit university for an MA in History: am I doing the wrong thing entirely, or is it OK in some circumstances, or is it just OK as long as I pick a good one?

Alternatives you could suggest?

Thank you!

Dave
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
I stopped reading at university of phallus (thanks sanantone). AMU/APU is more the model of how a for profit should be run, u of p should be illegal. Not even remotely the same thing. The differences are many but in particular the ever important aspect of perception plays a huge role here. U of P has been embroiled in multiple controversies typically centered on fleecing students and the American taxpayer. AMU on the other hand has positioned itself as practically a service school for the military, they have a vibrant and growing alumni base and they are neither considered prestigious nor questionable, they are just considered another regionally accredited school. They are also less than half the cost of a similar UofP degree.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
IrishJohn would know more about it than me. I will say that APU is the only for-profit I would honestly ever consider. You just don't hear the same horror stories coming out of that school, and from all accounts they actually give you an education, rather than just saddle you with busy work like some other programs. And they are pretty well-known for their history programs.

I don't think having a degree from APU would put you at much of a disadvantage. I took a leisure learning creative writing course recently that was taught by an MFA student who had basically all but gone to graduation. You know what her plans are? She is going back home to live with her parents for a while. It's not like she went to DeVry or anything. The MFA program at the university in my city is like #22 in the nation and she graduated with an MA and an MFA, which is a terminal degree.

The job market is hard nowadays, regardless of where you got your degree. You are going to have to work hard regardless.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
In 3 short years I would like to do something with it. Minimum retirement for me is 01 Aug 2017, not that I'm counting.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
rebel100 Wrote:I stopped reading at university of phallus (thanks sanantone). AMU/APU is more the model of how a for profit should be run, u of p should be illegal. Not even remotely the same thing. The differences are many but in particular the ever important aspect of perception plays a huge role here. U of P has been embroiled in multiple controversies typically centered on fleecing students and the American taxpayer. AMU on the other hand has positioned itself as practically a service school for the military, they have a vibrant and growing alumni base and they are neither considered prestigious nor questionable, they are just considered another regionally accredited school. They are also less than half the cost of a similar UofP degree.

See how I haven't created a name for APUS yet? I guess I could call it American Pubic University, but I haven't found a reason to. I'm quite impressed at their requirements for instructors. Most of the positions require a doctoral degree. They also pay them a competitive salary. UoP has a bunch of adjuncts making the equivalent of $9 or $10 an hour.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I dunno, I guess I'm one of the few, but I had a relatively bad experience with APU. One example was the grad-level statistics class where the instructor just tossed the work at us, didn't interact, didn't respond to students attempts to contact them (according to others in my class). They also severely screwed up my financial aid. They have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of cool offerings at the grad level, but I can't bring myself to go back there, even after everything got cleared up.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
sanantone Wrote:Most of the positions require a doctoral degree.

That's really not saying a whole lot, to be honest... Especially with the glut of doctorates out there at this point and the variable levels of actual skill, knowledge, and comprehension. Some people do great in the process but utterly suck as teachers.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:I dunno, I guess I'm one of the few, but I had a relatively bad experience with APU. One example was the grad-level statistics class where the instructor just tossed the work at us, didn't interact, didn't respond to students attempts to contact them (according to others in my class). They also severely screwed up my financial aid. They have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of cool offerings at the grad level, but I can't bring myself to go back there, even after everything got cleared up.

I have read the many complaints about how they handle financial aid.

TMW2010 Wrote:That's really not saying a whole lot, to be honest... Especially with the glut of doctorates out there at this point and the variable levels of actual skill, knowledge, and comprehension. Some people do great in the process but utterly suck as teachers.

True. Non-traditional schools like APUS think it's better to hire people with professional experience. Some non-traditional colleges even require that the instructors still be in the field. This is not always good because, like you said, not everyone is good at teaching even if they are good at what they do. Sometimes, when you have an instructor who is teaching and working another full-time job, that professor is not very responsive. I had a community college instructor who was an assistant DA. That sounds great and all, but she went out of town several times during the course and was unable to grade or respond to emails.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I know this is off topic, but I will throw it out anyway. I am pretty sure Fort Hays has a Masters in History that you can complete online for less money than any of the for profit colleges. You have to search their website a bit to find it, but it may be worth checking into. They are definitely not prestigious, but they are a state university.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
A degree is only worth it if it can get you a job. Many employers won't even entertain applicants with degrees from for profit schools like UoP and DeVry. The market is competitive, and getting yourself knocked out of the running in the first round isn't a good idea on any day.

I recall looking at UoP (not seriously) years ago just out of curiosity. They offered graduate psychology programs. They information packet blew a bunch of smoke about how great it was. Then, in VERY fine print at the bottom it said something to the effect of "This program does not meet requirements for licensing".

Ok, this makes the program completely and utterly worthless. UoP did the bare minimum to avoid legal liability but it is still utterly unethical.

This mindset of "I want a degree" is a bad one. The goal should be to find employment, so your choice should be made solely with that in mind. Having a diploma on the wall means nothing if you can't find a job.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California bans legacy admissions in all colleges, universities LevelUP 0 192 10-07-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 8,021 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 490 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  Resources to prepare for ECE World Population leefleming 2 370 07-25-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: leefleming
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 7 2,498 06-13-2024, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 254 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 2,221 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Curious about Guild Education Vle045 8 1,326 05-19-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 4 811 05-11-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What’s Behind the ACT’s For-Profit Pivot? LevelUP 4 489 05-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden