Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accelerated Law School
Have any of you ever heard of the accelerated law school? It's a fairly new concept that's is starting to spread among top law schools in the U.S. where you earn the J.D. in two years instead of three. But the kicker is you often find yourself with an 18 credit course load every semester. I was looking at the Northwestern University accelerated law degree program, and it seems they try and squeeze three years of material into two.

This is crazy, but if I was to do law school, I'd want to get it done as quickly as possible. Anybody have any experience with this? Is it any worse than a three year program?
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
I imagine it would be, ABA is it?
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
Couldn't they easily fit 3 years of law school into 2 by including summer semesters?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Couldn't they easily fit 3 years of law school into 2 by including summer semesters?
That's exactly how they do it. Normal law schools take summers off to let students pursue legal internships or clerkships, whereas the accelerated version goes non stop for two years. Now, most of them require 12 credits of 'experiential learning', which they describe as gaining real world legal experience alongside their studies.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

120/120! I'm there!

" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
I'm going to rain on your parade. Why do you want to go to law school? As a former paralegal, I can tell you that there are lots of folks out there with HEAVY law school debt, and not getting jobs that are commensurate (spelling?) with said debt. Also, have you worked in the field? It blew my mind how many law clerks would say, "I don't want to practice law" after a year's internship. I'm talking at a court level that wasn't NEARLY as tough as working for a private firm.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:I'm going to rain on your parade. Why do you want to go to law school? As a former paralegal, I can tell you that there are lots of folks out there with HEAVY law school debt, and not getting jobs that are commensurate (spelling?) with said debt. Also, have you worked in the field? It blew my mind how many law clerks would say, "I don't want to practice law" after a year's internship. I'm talking at a court level that wasn't NEARLY as tough as working for a private firm.

I appreciate the unvarnished truth here, Latebloomer. I've heard these opinions before from others.

The truth is, I am looking at several options, and law school is one of them. I am leaning toward an MPA program or an M.A. in Diplomacy, since I want to get into public policy. But I am looking at several ideas, and law school happens to be one of them.

120/120! I'm there!

I recommend a public policy degree for public policy.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
corpsole2 Wrote:I appreciate the unvarnished truth here, Latebloomer. I've heard these opinions before from others.

The truth is, I am looking at several options, and law school is one of them. I am leaning toward an MPA program or an M.A. in Diplomacy, since I want to get into public policy. But I am looking at several ideas, and law school happens to be one of them.

Right now, going into law is a pretty bad idea. You can find any number of stories via a quick Google search on how the vast majority of new attorneys are having difficulty finding work. As always, anecdotal evidence is sketchy at best, so let's look at some hard numbers:

Attorney surplus/deficit on a state-by-state basis (tl;dr: most states have a great surplus of attorneys): http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...blogs&_r=0
USDOL Occupational Outlook for Lawyers (tl;dr: ~50,000 new attorneys each year, ~7,500 new attorney jobs each year): Lawyers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)

You mention that your goal is to get into public policy, which begs the question: why dump tens -- and in some cases, hundreds -- of thousands of dollars into a law degree, when the MPA will work just as well with your plan, if not better? Sure, most elected officials in high office have law degrees, but is that a requirement for the job? Not at all. Heck, basic common sense isn't a requirement for the job.

If being an attorney is truly your passion, go for it. If working at higher levels of government is more your style, I'd say go for the MPA and start working your way into politics by getting a low-tier elected office and working your way up.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
Well, I floated the idea of law school because that is traditionally the usual route to public policy careers. That being said, I am more inclined to earn an MPA or MBA, and I am told that these two degrees are considered academic cousins and are interchangeable between the private and public sectors.

Villanova University has a new MPA program I'm looking at; so does Norwich U.

120/120! I'm there!

The MPA doesn't have the same flexibility as the MBA. Public administration is rarely listed as a requirement or preference for openings in the private sector. Business administration is regularly listed for openings in the public sector. But, public policy and public administration aren't the same thing. Also, in reference to what someone else said, most people working in public policy are not elected officials.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AACSB Certified Online Business School? Trich1996 15 723 10-09-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 24 1,421 09-21-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 3,011 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,960 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,507 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 2,371 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,208 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 2,221 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 650 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 453 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM