Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foreign Language Prior Learning Assessment PLA portfolio
Hi all, I am planning to do a PLA portfolio in Spanish but I'm not sure which way to go. Thanks to a thread here, I found a great database of courses at TESC and there are lots of Spanish classes for which I could do a portfolio. But I find the whole process confusing. I started an account with Learning Counts, but haven't registered in a class yet.

I know a handful of people here have had success with the PLA portfolio process. Any pointers, suggestions, info you could share? I would greatly appreciate it...thank you!

Getting information from these schools (with the exception of COSC) is like pulling teeth!
This link below is from an old thread. Check it out as it may answer some of your questions...

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...s-org.html
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
I read this one...thank you.

I know a lot of people are not in favor of PLAs but they are helpful to people who are interested in particular fields.
ladylearner Wrote:Hi all, I am planning to do a PLA portfolio in Spanish but I'm not sure which way to go. Thanks to a thread here, I found a great database of courses at TESC and there are lots of Spanish classes for which I could do a portfolio. But I find the whole process confusing. I started an account with Learning Counts, but haven't registered in a class yet.

I know a handful of people here have had success with the PLA portfolio process. Any pointers, suggestions, info you could share? I would greatly appreciate it...thank you!

Getting information from these schools (with the exception of COSC) is like pulling teeth!

One thing to remember with Portfolio Assessment is that generally if there's a CBE for the course you're trying to get credit for, they will not give you credit in the portfolio assessment.

Since Spanish is available with CLEP, I don't think you'll be able to get credit for Spanish through portfolio assessment. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the general policy.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Another option is the NYU proficiency language test, with which you can earn up to 16 credits. As opposed to 12 for the CLEP.

NYU Foreign Language Proficiency
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
this isn't a question of being in favor of/not in favor of. This is the exact situation in which someone would NOT use PLA. PLA is not a promise for credit, it's an opportunity for you to demonstrate proficiency. You will be paying full price tuition for that "opportunity" and how you'll do it is up to you- but there will be a requirement of supporting documentation in there as well, plus assembling time, mailing, etc. If they award credit (if) then you'll have credit in the EXACT SAME THING that you could have done with a CLEP multiple choice test, 90 minutes, and 80 dollars. If you are fluent in Spanish, go take the exam TODAY. What would 6 credits PLA cost? Somewhere around $2000?

EDIT - the exact cost is $476/credit (x3) for the PLA "classes" ($1428) then you pay another $350 for 12 credits reviewed = $1778.00

http://www.tesc.edu/tuition/Per-Credit.cfm
How much does PLA cost? Is PLA covered by Financial Aid?
A:
PLA-100 (1 credit) and PLA-200 (2 credits) are OL courses, and the per-credit tuition for those is the same as for other OL courses. Once you successfully complete the PLA-100 and PLA-200 courses and have learned how to write and assemble your portfolio work, there is a Portfolio Assessment fee for the review of your material. The fee is $350 for the first 12 credits reviewed (it is not a per-credit fee—it covers up to 12 credits), and then $200 for each additional 6 credits reviewed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cookderosa's post:
  • john2020
Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback. However, I'm looking for info on the PLA portfolio process for upper level credit. Sorry I wasn’t more specific. I got the idea to do portfolio assessment from a couple of other threads I read, including one that had to do with fulfilling the requirements for a major in Spanish.

Any info you can give me on PLA portfolios (especially in a foreign language) would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t picked a Big 3 school yet but this process will affect my decision.

@Cookderosa: FallingWaters paid $379 for 12 credits, which is less than a 3-credit independent study class at BYU or other RA schools. Is the pricing you mentioned for TESC? Would Excelsior be cheaper since they work with Learning Counts?
The pricing was for TESC's in-house PLAs, but TESC also accepts Learning Counts. There is just no guarantee that your PLA will be transcribed as intended.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The pricing was for TESC's in-house PLAs, but TESC also accepts Learning Counts. There is just no guarantee that your PLA will be transcribed as intended.

So it is possible to get credits through Learning Counts without spending thousands, right?

Also, when you say no guarantee that the PLA will be transcribed as intended - do you mean that it could possibly just go to free electives or lower level credit? And is that only in the case when going through Learning Counts since it is not the target school?

As I mentioned, I haven't selected a transfer school yet so this process will influence my decision.
ladylearner Wrote:So it is possible to get credits through Learning Counts without spending thousands, right?

Also, when you say no guarantee that the PLA will be transcribed as intended - do you mean that it could possibly just go to free electives or lower level credit? And is that only in the case when going through Learning Counts since it is not the target school?

As I mentioned, I haven't selected a transfer school yet so this process will influence my decision.
TESC will match the course up to what's in their PLA database. If you design your portfolio to match TESC's recommendations and you end up choosing Excelsior, then Excelsior might treat those portfolios differently. You should decide on a school first. Does Excelsior even offer a foreign language degree? Oh, and Learning Counts now charges $125 per 3 credits plus the fee for the instructor-led or self-directed course.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI/Machine Learning Subject Based BS degree vetvso 4 351 10-18-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Distance Learning Systems Indiana nomaduser 1 364 10-06-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: facilityalarming
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 590 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  Prior Learning Art Portfolio Assessment 3ichael7ambert 18 1,044 05-31-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: davewill
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 479 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 624 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,353 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 821 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 572 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,851 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume