Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capella Coupon
Capella sent me an email with a coupon code to waive the application fee for the MBA program, and I thought "why not?"

I had not previously applied to any "for-profit" schools, so I filled out the application for sh**s and giggles.

2 hours later, I had already completed the application, admissions interview, application for a $3000 "grant", requested COSC transcripts (capella picked up the tab for fees), financial aid, and been granted provisional status to enroll (pending receipt of official transcripts).

It's amazing how fast they rush you through the process. An applicant doesn't even have time to stop and think about what they're doing (which I'm sure is the point).

It's unlikely that I'll enroll at Capella at this point....I'm not comfortable with the idea of it being said that I "bought" my degree from a private company. But it was an interesting experience.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Thanks for the insight! I think I will steer clear at this point.
Use promo code STUDENTAMB395 on your next straighterline course! #SLambassador

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.”

― Benjamin Disraeli
That is amazing! What was the admissions interview like? University of Phoenix/Western International University got me at the age of 19 by rushing me through the admissions process. What is strange is that I don't recall them ever asking for proof of a high school diploma or GED. This was a long time ago, so I'm sure they make sure they get that stuff now with the increased government and accreditation scrutiny and all.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This definitely contrasts with my experience at TESC.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
This is disturbing.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
publius2k4 Wrote:Capella sent me an email with a coupon code to waive the application fee for the MBA program, and I thought "why not?"

I had not previously applied to any "for-profit" schools, so I filled out the application for sh**s and giggles.

2 hours later, I had already completed the application, admissions interview, application for a $3000 "grant", requested COSC transcripts (capella picked up the tab for fees), financial aid, and been granted provisional status to enroll (pending receipt of official transcripts).

It's amazing how fast they rush you through the process. An applicant doesn't even have time to stop and think about what they're doing (which I'm sure is the point).

It's unlikely that I'll enroll at Capella at this point....I'm not comfortable with the idea of it being said that I "bought" my degree from a private company. But it was an interesting experience.

I assure you, paying might be enough to get you in....but it won't be enough to get you out.
Yes, you will have to do work, but the question is, "What kind of work?" Western International University was obsessed with APA format. You could write about how bubblegum is made in a World Religions course and still get an A for meeting the length requirements and following APA guidelines. I watched a review by a University of Phoenix student who also said content was not important there. That's how I earned 30-something credits at WIU without learning a thing. Even the textbooks were terrible. It was like they searched the English speaking world for the worst written textbooks. When it came to Colorado Technical University's 5.5 week courses, with all of the busy work, you didn't even have time to read the ebooks. Good thing students didn't need to read anything to complete most of the assignments.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Yes, you will have to do work, but the question is, "What kind of work?" Western International University was obsessed with APA format. You could write about how bubblegum is made in a World Religions course and still get an A for meeting the length requirements and following APA guidelines. I watched a review by a University of Phoenix student who also said content was not important there. That's how I earned 30-something credits at WIU without learning a thing. Even the textbooks were terrible. It was like they searched the English speaking world for the worst written textbooks. When it came to Colorado Technical University's 5.5 week courses, with all of the busy work, you didn't even have time to read the ebooks. Good thing students didn't need to read anything to complete most of the assignments.

Right, I have no doubt that some work will be involved. I am just uneasy about the stigma that comes with getting a degree from a program that is basically The University of Phoenix Jr. (FWIW, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with anyone getting their degree from this institution).

My local college offers a fully online MPA that is NASPAA accredited. I was previously unaware of this program until last week. I'm giving this program SERIOUS consideration.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
of course your experience will vary, but the idea that you can just pay and get a regionally accredited degree gives people the wrong impression. People narrow down the school that they pick for any number of reasons- some I'd agree with, others I think are ridiculous. Apparently, some people even pick their college based on a sports team! Smile I couldn't name 5 basketball players or football players if you offered me a million dollars.
Regarding rigor and course content, that isn't something most people can assess unless they've got something to compare it to. I can also promise you that for every 1 person who wants to be "challenged academically" you'll find two who couldn't care less. I think the attack on Capella for accepting you on the spot is uncalled for- of course they accepted you, and so would your community college and any number of open enrollment programs.
This is a graduate program that should have more standards than a community college. Even community colleges make you take the SAT, ACT, Accuplacer, Compass, or some other placement exam. A lot of schools don't require the GRE, GMAT, or similar exams, but all Capella requires is a bachelor's degree with a 2.3 GPA. For the MBA, there are no prerequisites, letters of recommendation, related work experience, or essay. At least WGU checks to see if you can read, write, and do basic math. WGU also requires 3 years of related experience for the MBA programs.

Edit: The Flexpath program has additional requirements over the other MBA programs. That makes me wonder....Publius2k4 since you don't have a degree in business or a similar field, did they talk to you about having 5 years of professional business experience? Or, did they find the business credits used for your individualized studies degree acceptable?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capella - Virginia LPC Experience Rweber 0 461 09-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Rweber
  Capella ss20ts 1 926 01-10-2023, 10:44 PM
Last Post: sharase
  Capella University FlexPath? nomaduser 37 15,256 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Capella Shares Lessons Learned from 5 Years of Offering Competency-Based Programs sanantone 3 2,204 09-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  DSST Coupon? SCYankee 3 2,698 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  EdX: 15% off coupon. eriehiker 0 1,729 04-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  DSST coupon code 2/1/18 - 3/31/18 Joeman200 1 2,550 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  $10 coupon on DSST Joeman200 0 983 03-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  ALEKS Coupon 15% off Toastmaster 2 1,249 09-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: keepsingin
  Sophia 25% off coupon dfrecore 0 812 07-05-2016, 01:05 PM