Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Course Questions
Thanks, I just ordered the books for the courses I'm going to take. I hope to get through 8 courses in less the two months. I will shoot for 8 in one month though. I'm currently taking classes(3) at Strayer and working full-time. The Strayer classes are easy though. I already passed three CLEP test.
82richjohn Wrote:Thanks, I just ordered the books for the courses I'm going to take. I hope to get through 8 courses in less the two months. I will shoot for 8 in one month though. I'm currently taking classes(3) at Strayer and working full-time. The Strayer classes are easy though. I already passed three CLEP test.

I took a few classes at Strayer... Well more than a few (72cr worth) - Transferred about 48 total to TESC.. I didn't even know about SL or some of the other options. I really wasn't looking hard enough I guess. Anyhow, now that Ive found all these cool resources, I think I actually might be able to knock out the remainder of this BSBA CIS degree by December 2013 or Jan 2014 at the latest. If I had known about how easy the Strayer CLEP tests were, I could have saved $14k that I spent with them. Lesson learned!

I'm wondering what courses are you planning to knock out in a 2 month period? I'm hoping to take what I can where I can between EC, OAK, TESC and "DSST-ing", "CLEP-ing", and "TECEP-ing" my way to the finish line. From what I understand, the cool thing about SL is that you arent limited to the 8-12 week minimum with other online courses. I assume you can blaze out a course in a weekend if you are good enough.
What are Strayer CLEP tests? Are they different than normal CLEP tests? I'm confused
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems - ~TBD~ (currently working toward)
TESC AAS Applied Computer Studies - September 2013 (finished in June 2013)

GENERAL EDUCATION
SL English Comp I/II ~Intro to Sociology
ALEKS ~Intermedia Algebra~College Algebra
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
B&M 9 credits (computer classes)
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)
TEEX Cyber security courses 4cr (core)
DSST Intro to Computers 3cr (435)
PENN FOSTER Computer Applications 3cr

BUSINESS
TEEX Cyber security course 2cr (MAN-299)

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)
No. I dont think they are "different", they are the CLEP tests offered at the school. Basically using a Strayer University physical location to take CLEP tests.
smithmattyj1 Wrote:Hi there,

I have just started the straighterline courses and I have noticed that the exams for each course are not relevant to the information taught within the course. I am taking the business communication course right now. The course was talking about identifying your audience and their personality and the exam was questioning me on verbs and idioms.... there's not connection there what-so-ever.

My question is: is this what the straighterline exams all look like? If so, I'm just going to go the CLEP and DSST route.

Thanks,

- Matt

This is from another Matt. ::waves::

I am going to start my 26th and final Straighterline course in a few days. I have found that the tests generally follow the textbook very closely. The stuff they have online or the audio modules are just an overview, and not the nitty gritty. So, buy the textbook and RELY on the textbook! Since the tests are open book, you can use it when testing. That rule alone was a Godsend to me, especially when I had to do Biology. I never had a good background in science when I was in school, and asking technical questions about what makes hemoglobin levels go up or down requires you to either be a savant or refer to the text.

I am at 105 credits today because of SL. Since I live two hours from my nearest CLEP facility, it was out of the question for me. SL has allowed me to finish my courses as quickly as I felt like it, and saving many thousands of dollars.

What I have taken to doing is ignoring the audio and video lessons and assignments on the course, and instead just do the reading assignment in the textbook. I'd have a highlighting pen in hand, and highlight those areas that I think will be asked in a test. Then, I take the test, and it is usually within a few hours of signing up for the course. The first time I ever took a SL course I didn't have a textbook and relied on the material presented on the site. I got 40% on the test. Lesson learned. Now, I consistently end courses with As and Bs.

Good luck with Straighterline. There are few deals that can surpass it for getting a degree and saving money at the same time!
corpsole2 Wrote:So, buy the textbook and RELY on the textbook! Since the tests are open book, you can use it when testing.

This may be a dumb question, I have a couple pdf books. Would these be allowed??

Thanks
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435
I have a question for corpsole2. When highlighting the text, since quizzes are open book, have you referred to the book during a quiz, and when you found out the correct answer gone back and highlighted that in the book if it wasn't highlighted already? I was thinking it might be a quick way to review before the final--especially if these are no longer open book exams. What do you think?

Many thanks.
Someone in this forum has given a great advice in one of the threads that renting books from Chegg.com is one of the best option. For most of the books, eTextbook is available on Chegg. It is much easier to search in the eTextbook than reading the paper book. The eTextbook will be available for 7 days. I purchase all my books from Chegg. If anyone needs business ethics book, please PM me.

thanks
BS
Lemurian_Spirit Wrote:I have a question for corpsole2. When highlighting the text, since quizzes are open book, have you referred to the book during a quiz, and when you found out the correct answer gone back and highlighted that in the book if it wasn't highlighted already? I was thinking it might be a quick way to review before the final--especially if these are no longer open book exams. What do you think?

Many thanks.

They are no longer allowing open book exams? Wow, I am glad I got my Straighterline career done when I did!

Generally, I found that you should highlight bullet points, highlighted text that gave definitions, italicized text, etc. These will generally be the ones you will find on a graded quiz. At least it was when I last took a SL course.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
Thanks bunches. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. BTW, I still don't know how they can tell that you aren't using a hard cover book on an online exam. However, since this one is on ethics... I have my next CLEP exam (Educational Psychology) scheduled for this Monday. I was able to expedite the shipping of the book so it should get here on Tuesday (when I plan to start the only Straighterline course--Business Ethics in my degree plan). I am giving myself from December 10th to ideally the 30th to complete this (no later than the 31st). I have six other exams to finish after that (in additional to all the FEMAs or whatever to round out my electives) before I hopefully start my Capstone in April 2014. I really hope I can get this Straighterline course done by then. I was going to take it in March, but none of the other exams has 512 pages of reading to do, so I figured I might as well get that done while I am unemployed and have more time. Do you think this timeframe is feasible for the Straighterline Business Ethics course?

Many thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,406 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,767 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 522 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 1,005 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 922 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 963 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,788 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 3,553 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 940 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,297 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77