Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free College Credit from TEEX!
Quote:p.s. She added, "ACE Courses are rarely approved anymore due to the inconsistency students receive with the expiration of credit." . . .shall we also discuss student service inconsistencies also . . . .lol

What the heck does that mean???
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems - ~TBD~ (currently working toward)
TESC AAS Applied Computer Studies - September 2013 (finished in June 2013)

GENERAL EDUCATION
SL English Comp I/II ~Intro to Sociology
ALEKS ~Intermedia Algebra~College Algebra
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
B&M 9 credits (computer classes)
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)
TEEX Cyber security courses 4cr (core)
DSST Intro to Computers 3cr (435)
PENN FOSTER Computer Applications 3cr

BUSINESS
TEEX Cyber security course 2cr (MAN-299)

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)
freedegreefree Wrote:The adviser stated some CIS courses are Business and the others are Natural Science. I explained the tracks are transcribed as CIS and MAN, respectively, but was then told none would apply as natural science, GEN Ed or to my BSBA Management degree plan. :confused:

p.s. She added, "ACE Courses are rarely approved anymore due to the inconsistency students receive with the expiration of credit." . . .shall we also discuss student service inconsistencies also . . . .lol

Did you ask all of this over the phone? Never speak to an advisor on the phone. Always send an email that will go to someone who specializes in your program. They have some of the dumbest and rudest people answering phones.

chiquitacobbe Wrote:What the heck does that mean???

It might have something to do with Penn Foster courses. Last fall and winter, ACE kept changing the expiration dates of the courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The email I received moments ago:

"The TEEX courses that you mention do transfer over as CIS-344, CIS-299 and MAN-299, respectively.* However, none of these equivalencies classify as Natural Science or General Education electives.* While some computer courses do classify as Natural Science, these TEEX courses do not. Should you have more questions, please contact our office again.* Thank you."
freedegreefree Wrote:The email I received moments ago:

"The TEEX courses that you mention do transfer over as CIS-344, CIS-299 and MAN-299, respectively.* However, none of these equivalencies classify as Natural Science or General Education electives.* While some computer courses do classify as Natural Science, these TEEX courses do not. Should you have more questions, please contact our office again.* Thank you."

That stinks for you! And for me that they still have the one class going as MAN-299. Just love being one credit short!

GENERAL EDUCATION
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)

BUSINESS

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)
freedegreefree Wrote:The email I received moments ago:

Not sure if this helps, as I have not taken any TEEX courses (probably won't now) but I can confirm that CIS-299 does not go under natural science or general education electives. I had an old community college computer course get transcribed as CIS-299, it was placed under business electives for the BSBA degree and if I run a BA in Liberal Studies evaluation it goes under free electives. I think CIS-299 is just a course code where they dump computer credits they don't want to really evaluate into.

I had been following this thread hoping for some easy general education electives too, but I guess not. Considering that CIS-299 is already on my evaluation and my business and free electives are used up I guess TEEX credits isn't going to work for me.
Clep's Passed: Humanites 70, Sociology 60, Psy 74, HG&D 61, EP 64
DSST's Passed: World Religions 480, Vietnam War 67, Environment & Humanity 67, M&B 64, MIS 449, Org Beh. 64, CJ 437, SA 450, USSR 64, CW 66,
Penn Foster: Fin. Man.
Did all the aleks stuff
TESC: Lib. Cap, BA in Social Science December 2013
We're in the same boat! I'll be sure to let you know if I find alternative GEN ED courses.
freedegreefree Wrote:I'm completing my BSBA General Management at TESC and need Gen Ed. help. Are TEEX courses for the Free elective's area only or can I use them in my General Education Elective area as Natural Science? If so, would it be possible to complete both Cyber Security for Everyone TEEX-0250 (CIS-299 2cr.) and Cyber Security for IT Professionals (CIS-344 2cr.) and receive 4 total credits for my GEN Ed. area?

Have you done ALEKS math courses?

GENERAL EDUCATION
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)

BUSINESS

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)
chiquitacobbe Wrote:Have you done ALEKS math courses?

I plan to start Intermediate Algebra and then Precal this weekend. Hopefully I can knock each out given 2 solid days to each.
bluespecial Wrote:Not sure if this helps, as I have not taken any TEEX courses (probably won't now) but I can confirm that CIS-299 does not go under natural science or general education electives. I had an old community college computer course get transcribed as CIS-299, it was placed under business electives for the BSBA degree and if I run a BA in Liberal Studies evaluation it goes under free electives. I think CIS-299 is just a course code where they dump computer credits they don't want to really evaluate into.

I had been following this thread hoping for some easy general education electives too, but I guess not. Considering that CIS-299 is already on my evaluation and my business and free electives are used up I guess TEEX credits isn't going to work for me.

I am not sure if they really dump credits that way, when I transferred my courses from abroad they reviewed all of them with an extreme degree of detail and matched
exactly what was equivalent to what and whether it applied to my current program or not. At least that has been my personal experience with them so far.
They even had a pdf that explained how courses are classified and why.
I was just thinking (scary thought) but do you think that last TEEX course that comes over as MAN-299 I might be able to fight with TESC to have it count toward my AAS Computer Studies area of my degree without them changing the code? Being that its all to do with cyber security management it should still fall under computer studies. Of course it hasn't shown up on my evaluation yet but when it does I'm thinking of maybe going that route since I will only need 1 more credit in that study area.

But of course I value everyones opinions here on this board since you have dealt more with TESC on things like this. I have looked all over to try and find which courses count toward the study area in this degree but haven't been able to find anything. So maybe it's a stretch but you don't know until you ask right??

GENERAL EDUCATION
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)

BUSINESS

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 8 2,599 43 minutes ago
Last Post: addision
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 658 1 hour ago
Last Post: naet
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 61 12,175 Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 88 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  free certificates in China lilyuzimu 2 199 09-24-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: wow
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 173,554 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,795 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 392 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 265 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,955 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM