Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School acting shady about clep...
I think majority of schools allow betwren 60-90 credits to transfer in. I may be wrong though.
AAS Environmental Safety and Securities Technologies Dec-2011
Working on BA Intellegence Studies Counterterrorism at AMU!
Aleks: Beginners Algebra 72%, College Algebra 83%, Intermediate Algebra 88%, Pre-Calculus 75%, Business Stats 73%
FEMA: 51 Completed
ACE Credits: 18
Military AARTS: 18
24 UoP Credits: GEN200, IT105, COM120, COMM215, HIS145, SCI100, MATH208, MATH209,
DSST-Here's to Your Health--423 (PASS) AUG 15, 2011
DSST Technical Writing--49 (PASS) SEP 01, 2011
StraighterLine: Economics I Macroeconomics 89.7% Economics II Microeconomics 90.2%, Intro to Biology with lab 90.6%, Western Civ I 77.5%,
US History I 82% All Done!
Our community college allows 24 credits from CLEP... that's it (our course catalog is a little sparse on CLEP info, too, almost as if they are hiding it).

When I first enrolled and had my appointment on Advising Day, I told my advisor that I planned on taking as many CLEP exams as possible. She looked at me like I had three heads. C-C-CLEP??? By then, (thanks to this forum) I knew more about testing than the advisors.

Later I contacted the admissions office by email and confirmed in writing the number of allowable credits. You can't be too careful!
why don't u write what school so someone can help u better? for i.e. i am in umuc. NONE of the staff told me about credit by exams. i was VERY LUCKY to find out about it and even luckier to find these forums. i have taken 8 exams which saved me $$$$$$$ as you all know.
lilacskin Wrote:Hello everyoneSmile

I just found out about clep last month. Since then I have been talking to my Uni trying to figure out exactly how many clep credits they will accept. The problem is I am not getting a straight answer. One adviser told me 30...but then I checked the student handbook and they never put a limit. My school accepts up to 90 transfer credits. I asked another adviser and she didn't seem to know at all. They are taking forever to get back to me! Did anyone else experience this?

Your uni has a written policy. Find it, obtain a copy. Trust nothing someone tells you.

P.S. I noticed you didn't mention the university name. If you will, someone can help you locate the policy. sometimes you just have to know where to look Smile
I have had people try to help me on here lol. One person said 24credits and the other said 90! The school is Nova Southeastern University
I'd advise skipping advisors on this and going straight to the people who take the outside credits and turn them into course equivalencies at the school. If the registrars office doesn't do it, they will know who to send you to. I've always avoided advisors at schools on that sort of things, I only use them when it's required, and to butter them up to raise a course enrollment cap, or to get a requirement waived. As others have said, get a written policy - it exists somewhere!
Sounds like at this particular school you have to test before reaching 24 credits. I'm not sure if that means you have a cap of 24 credits and once that is reached you have to stop, or if you can take unlimited tests until you have 24 credits of their courses completed. As I've discovered with my own school, people either don't have the info or don't want to help. My advice is to speak with the Registrar about it and skip the other people. With how few people seem to take these tests (or multiple tests), it seems like the information is kind of lost outside of the registrar which will follow the acceptance grids linked below and hopefully be able to tell you their cap (if any). After several conversations with various people at my school (Normandale Community College, Bloomington, MN), they have accepted all 42 of my CLEP & DSST credits and took my 10 ACE credits (from workplace training) for elective credit as well. It can be quite a process for schools not used to dealing with it but in the end you should be able to get a straight answer at least. Good luck.

Here is what I find searching for your school's policies (Nova):

Acceptance Grid for CLEP: http://www.fcas.nova.edu/services/academ...s/clep.pdf

Acceptance Grid for DSST: http://www.fcas.nova.edu/services/academ...s/DSST.pdf

2009 Newsletter mentions policy of taking CLEP exams before reaching 24 credits at their school (page 3):
http://www.fcas.nova.edu/services/academ...-02-18.pdf

Nova Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences - "prior to earning 24 credits, students may be awarded academic credit for successful completion of College Level Entrance Exams (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), or NYU Language Exams." Academic Advising - How to Register | Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Yes that is kind of why I'm in a rush to find out...we have to do it before we have 24 credits with the school. Luckily I just transferred, but still if that is the case it would be good to know how many credits they accept. I know they for sure accept atleast 30...but according to some it may be more. Hopefully I will get a hold of registrar today.
Southern Illinois University was straight up with me about them only accepting 30 credit hours of examination credits. Their advisors also encouraged the tests and clearly laid out what ones they accepted and what ones they did not. I guess it depends on the school and the advisor.
06-20-2011 DSST Astronomy - 61
06-28-2011 CLEP Humanities - 62
07-07-2011 DSST Principles of Statistics - 427
07-11-2011 DSST Intro to World Religion - 464
07-18-2011 DSST Prin. of Public Speaking - 62
08-04-2011 DSST Environment and Humanity - 62
08-16-2011 CLEP Social Sciences and History - 65

AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology - Community College of the Air Force (August 2011)
AAS Education and Training Management - Community College of the Air Force (October 2014)
BS Workforce Education and Development - Southern Illinois University Carbondale(October 2011)
MA Information Technology Management - Webster University (May 2013)
MA Master of Human Resources Management - Webster University (May 2014)
I have read on many university websites that they allow 90 transferable credits, but then have specified a max of 30 are limited to the examinations like CLEP. I would not be surprised to hear that Nova Southeastern falls into this category.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 17 622 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,848 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,712 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,345 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,392 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,014 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,899 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 580 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 422 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP