Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed two DSST's today...
I've really gotten off track and I was determined to get back to testing. Today I took Statistics; I was at a loss leading up to it but felt I knew the basics. Yup, I failed with a 369. I also took Environment, the Race to Save the planet; this one I felt pretty good about but failed with a 40. I've taken quite a few tests and these are my first fails. I don't want this to set me back even more so I'm trying to stay positive. Statistics is just kicking my butt; I was doing Aleks but I'm just not getting it (but I have to!).

Thanks for letting me vent; I'll be done with my pity party soon.

Smile
Ann

January, 2009: Northeastern University, AS, Human Resources!

Tests Passed:
Labor Relations ECE: B
HR Management, ECE: B
Principles of Marketing CLEP: 67
Introductory Business Law CLEP: 68
Information Systems CLEP: 59
English Comp w/Essay CLEP: 60
Introductory Psychology CLEP: 61
Macroeconomics Clep: 54
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP: 72
College Math CLEP: 55
Here's to Your Health DSST: 426
Technical Writing DSST: 61
Business Ethics DSST: 444
Business Policy TECEP: Passed!
American Literature: 58
Principles of Supervision DSST: 456
Principles of Statistics DSST: 420

FEMA Courses Passed: 8

Penn Foster:
Business and Technical Writing: Done!
Art Appreciation: Done!

Straighterline:
Microeconomics: 72
Accounting 2: 73
US History: 83
Introductory Biology for Non-Majors: 79
Oh, how disappointing. It looks like you've passed LOTS of test, though. Just figure out what happened, learn from it, and kick butt next time.
akeefe3133,

Not to worry, stats is NOT easy. Chin up! You have options!

You can always go right back to aleks and plug away until you reach the magic number. Stats for dummies and stats demystified might help. You probably just need to see the problems broken down in easier steps. You can also try one of the textbook online companion websites for practice. I listed a good one on the forum. Just do a search. If you can't find it send me a PM and I'll locate it for you.

Another option, you might do well with the SL business stats course, TESC also accepts it as STA201. You may find it a bit more palatable because it has a textbook? They also offer precalculus.http://www.straighterline.com/partner-colleges/transfer-college-credits-to-thomas-edison-state-college.cfm

Not sure if you know this but Penn Foster also has business statistics. The PF course number is MAT 160 (ACE ICS 0044). Remember, if the final is proctored, that person just needs to have an AA.

What were you trying to fill with race to save the planet? Maybe we could help you find a substitution there as well. If it is to fill a math/nat sci/gen ed credit you could use aleks intermediate algebra. Mathway.com should get you through that course easily.

Back on the horse!cheersmate

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
akeefe3133 Wrote:I've really gotten off track and I was determined to get back to testing. Today I took Statistics; I was at a loss leading up to it but felt I knew the basics. Yup, I failed with a 369. I also took Environment, the Race to Save the planet; this one I felt pretty good about but failed with a 40. I've taken quite a few tests and these are my first fails. I don't want this to set me back even more so I'm trying to stay positive. Statistics is just kicking my butt; I was doing Aleks but I'm just not getting it (but I have to!).

Thanks for letting me vent; I'll be done with my pity party soon.

Smile

So sorry. Failing sucks, no other way to say it. In my case, it really messed with my head for a while, but you do have to pull yourself together and get back up.

A word on stats- I was using ALEKS for stats. I was up to about 35-40% in my pie and stopped. (I had planned on getting the credit that way initially)
Then, I went through the Khan videos and took the DSST. I will tell you HANDS DOWN that the Khan videos are more relevant than the ALEKS material. In fact, I hesitate to say this, but I didn't think ALEKS helped me on stats enough to justify suggesting it. Go thought the Khan vids- I think there are about 8 hours in all when you cover stats and prob both. I can say I used only Khan vids to pass stats DSST.
cookderosa Wrote:So sorry. Failing sucks, no other way to say it. In my case, it really messed with my head for a while, but you do have to pull yourself together and get back up.
:iagree: The first CLEP I took was last May (American History I) and I failed by 3 points...it took me a whole year to pick myself up (I'm lucky I only needed 3 CLEP's) but I did it and passed my next exams
You can do it! Confusedeeya:
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
I'm sorry that you failed, that sux.

Keep your chin up, I'm sure you will do much better on your next test. Smile
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435
ALEKs doesnt really teach you stats its more like an assessment I think.
I passed ALEKs stats because I studied prior to doing it and knew the basics and then I printed each and every explanation to each problem to a pdf.
When taking the exams I would refer to my pdfs for solutions to similar problems.
You can get access to my pdfs here.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4lhZ3o...y=CPWti4QG

Unzip it and read them with word. Its not a pdf, some other word doc type.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
That really sucks, sorry! You've already been given some great advice. I'd add that you might try getting one of the textbooks listed on the DSST study guide and work through it. You don't have to buy an expensive new one, just look for an older, used version by the same authors. I usually find them cheapest on Amazon, but sometimes find them cheaper elsewhere by using Google to search.

:iagree: Failing sucks. We tend to get overconfident when we pass test after test we don't study as well as we should. I thought I could get through my math praxis with little study because I was getting cocky. Well that test kicked my a$$. Lucky for me I had already scheduled to retake it tne next month, this time I studied and passed.

Don't let this little setback keep you down. You have a proven track record of passing these test. Just count it as one bad day and get back in the saddle.

By the way Aleks Statistics was a *itch. I think I spent something like 120 hours on it. I finally printed out Every practice problem and made sure I understood them then I was ready for the assesment. I made sure I had about 75% of my pie then I took the assesment one last time and got 70%. I am so glad to be done with that. I also watched some of the Khan videos when I couldn't grasp a concept.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
ryoder Wrote:ALEKs doesnt really teach you stats its more like an assessment I think.
I passed ALEKs stats because I studied prior to doing it and knew the basics and then I printed each and every explanation to each problem to a pdf.
When taking the exams I would refer to my pdfs for solutions to similar problems.
You can get access to my pdfs here.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4lhZ3o...y=CPWti4QG

Unzip it and read them with word. Its not a pdf, some other word doc type.

Nice, I'm doing business stats but I'm sure this will be helpful. Thanks!

I like some of the websites you have in the txt files... same ones I've been using.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 12 1,603 07-31-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  UC Berkeley failed to disclose $240 million in funds from China elcastor21 3 680 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 1,073 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,056 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Stressed & Depressed - today’s high school students Vle045 8 1,303 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,397 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,958 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az