Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Spanish 1
Has anyone taken Spanish 1 at Straighterline recently? I see they use Rosetta Stone. I really like Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur so I thought I might enjoy it more than Sophia. I signed up for the Sophia class but I hate their format. I'm at UMPI so I assume they would accept the SL course.

https://www.straighterline.com/online-co...spanish-i/
Have you looked at finishing the Sophia.org class just for the credit? If not, have you also looked at Study.com instead of StraighterLine? I like Pimsleur language learning materials as well, they're pretty well made and I've used them for a few languages I wanted to get an intro on... My suggestion is, if you still have membership for Sophia.org and are doing a few more classes with them, stick to that.

Otherwise, if you're going for StraighterLine, they're much more expensive and it's only for one class, plus you have to pay for membership. Unless you're doing something like 4 or 5 classes at StraighterLine, I would select Study.com over that as you can add extra classes for $70/each, there is a max of 5 exams a month.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Sophia is definitely not going to be the way to actually learn a language. For actual learning, you can do LanguageTransfer/Pimsleur plus Babbel, Busuu, etc. and then blast through the Spanish class on Sophia. I honestly don't like Rosetta very much. It's over-hyped and a good percentage of the vocab is just... wrong.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I'm working on the Spanish 1 class at Sophia and was struggling at first even with milestones just due to the speed at which I was trying to rush through. I don't want to -not- learn some things about Spanish as a language, but I don't think that an online learning format is the best for it in terms of real gained knowledge. I'm just using it as a means to facilitate the education requirements for the schools.

If you've already gone partially through the Sophia class, I don't think it makes much sense to move to another one.
That's what I was thinking too, finish it at Sophia.org, if you need to really learn the language, you can always go ahead and add some cheapies or freebies, such as both the Modern States AP & CLEP classes, you don't really need to take the exam unless you want to, it's free to use it for credits too if you decide to use the voucher...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,870 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 497,574 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 326 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish I on Sophia DavidGood 11 903 07-30-2024, 09:30 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
  StraighterLine Spam Emails... bjcheung77 2 282 07-16-2024, 09:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Straighterline TESU Pre Health Classes Melispheric 5 511 06-21-2024, 10:35 AM
  Spanish - Sophia Failed kakasahib 4 719 05-31-2024, 09:54 PM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,363 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  Sophia Spanish Touchstone Question JohnD 2 607 04-03-2024, 11:26 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 867 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM