Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree
(04-22-2020, 03:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 02:38 PM)Bpreli Wrote: I’m currently enrolled with Columbia Southern University for an AS in Occupational Safety and Health. My online options for this degree are limited, and I’m not particularly pleased with the cost and customer service from CSU. Also, as a result of the pandemic my high school still has not sent my transcript so I’m in a provisional enrollment status and only able to take 12 credits. I’ve completed 6, but my state recently announced that schools will remain closed through the end of the year, so I’m not sure when my high school will send my transcript. When I call, there is no answer at the school. 
I started taking a StraighterLine course, and spoke with my academic advisor at CSU today to confirm that the course will transfer. She basically scolded me for taking any classes outside of CSU. I also discussed making some changes to my degree advisement plan as many of the lower level electives have absolutely nothing to do with my degree (such as criminal justice and hospitality courses) to which she said that isn’t a complete list but those are the most commonly taken electives and I can choose different electives. She told me where I can access a complete list of electives and explained which class numbers I could take, and advised that I look through that list. Less than 5 minutes after ending the call she emailed me an “updated” advisement plan which was identical to the one I had received when I enrolled, and wrote me a lengthy email about taking the classes that are advised. I was able to confirm that I can transfer up to 45 credits for my degree, so my plan is to continue to take the major requirements for my degree through CSU, while also taking general requirements and electives through StraighterLine while I wait for my high transcript to be received.  Does anyone have any experience with transferring StraighterLine credits, or experience with CSU? I’m seriously tempted to find a different school, but CSU seems to be the cheapest.

So first, just be advised that CSU is not RA (regionally accredited), it's NA (nationally accredited, which is not great).  You probably won't be able to transfer any credits you get there to a RA school later if you want - you'd have to find a school that would take them.  It's just very limiting.

But if you don't care, that's ok.  One thing to keep in mind is that your advisor's goal is to have you take as many courses at their school as possible.  They won't help you find alternative credits to bring in.  I'd stick with not discussing that subject with her at all.  This happens at a lot of schools by the way.  All the time.
Just curious, SACSCOC is not RA ?
armado Wrote:Just curious, SACSCOC is not RA ?

That's one of the RA options... It is... As I mentioned, this thread is 4 years old!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,870 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 497,605 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 326 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine Spam Emails... bjcheung77 2 282 07-16-2024, 09:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Straighterline TESU Pre Health Classes Melispheric 5 511 06-21-2024, 10:35 AM
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 4 510 04-26-2024, 03:11 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 867 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 482 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 868 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 720 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM