Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Testing Centers - BEWARE - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Testing Centers - BEWARE (/Thread-Testing-Centers-BEWARE)

Pages: 1 2

Testing Centers - BEWARE - cgnocal2 - 04-06-2009

I just wanted to share this with everyone who is doing CLEP testing and trying to find "open" (not limited or on base) test centers. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I'm having an extremely difficult time finding testing centers.

I registered via telephone at Oxman College to take my remaining two CLEP tests. I drove to the city this weekend to check out the location and it was not good. The building looked like it was closed. I have tried calling several times and all I get is an answering machine.

I have tried the University of Phoenix in my area and they just moved their labs and testing isn't available until after May.

I have a deadline of April 30 and I'm now scrambling to find someplace to take these tests. If I don't make this deadline, I cannot get my B.A. at my school of choice and have to start a program all over again at another school.

So, be warned - book far in advance for your testing and make sure it's a reputable school. Check out the location and confirm, confirm, confirm!

Testing Centers - BEWARE - mlwilliamsiv - 04-06-2009

That's good advice. Sorry about your dilemma. I hope everything works out for you.

Just curious...what is your school of choice and why would you have to start all over again?

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall

Testing Centers - BEWARE - marianne202 - 04-06-2009

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. I too have had some issues with CLEP test centers. I have to now drive over 90 minutes each way to get to a test center. The one closest to me (A Strayer) is a joke and shouldn't even be considered a test center. I filed a formal complaint with CLEP. They investigated, substantiated the issues and allowed me to retest in 2 months at their expense. The second test center was a better test environment, but it took 3 weeks of unreturned phone messages and finally a call to CLEP to ask what I was supposed to do to schedule this exam. Excuse - the LRC person had a death in the family and NO ONE else at Strayer was capable of making the appt! On to test center #3 - Another Strayer location 90 minutes away - is perfect! But one H*** of a drive and expense. Although as someone who has tested at Sylvan test centers, Prometric & PearsonVue, none of them rates as highly in my book as PearsonVue, although this new Strayer isn't bad. I'm scheduled for my 3rd exam there this Friday, so I keep going back! I have had issues with CLEP processing paperwork in a timely fashion as well. My take is that CLEP isn't really on the professional testing level as Pearson Vue, heck the supervisor at CLEP told me none of the scores or students paperwork are sent electronically within their company it is all done on paper and needs entered by someone by hand. I told him in this day and age that is ridiculous! I guess this is why their exams are $70 vs EC's $265! The saying you get what you pay for is so true here! I even tried to get my local CC to proctor my exam from CLEP and CLEP wouldn't allow it, even though our LRC and Acedemic VP are nationally accredited exam proctors and test center. So I think you will just need to grit your teeth and realize this is what you get for speed and minimal cash outlay! Just realize you are not the first and probably not the last. I would recommend you contact CLEP directly and explain the situation and have them contact the test center. That got me at least a phone call and appt. scheduled within an hour when I had tried for 3 weeks without a response. Given your tight time frame that may be your best bet. They may also be able to get you into a limited or closed test center. It's worth a phone call. Good luck! I share your pain!

Testing Centers - BEWARE - cgnocal2 - 04-06-2009

Thanks all. Good advice and glad I'm not alone in my frustration with these centers. I called and emailed CLEP and lodged a complaint. I mean, I'm in a major metropolitan area and I'm having problems finding centers! Good grief.

I'm waiting for two call backs from centers two hours away from me and one that is literally 5 minutes from me but they only do "limited" testing....but I am going to beg to see if they will let me in!

I was in the law studies program at St. Mary's College and the program was discontinued (the School of Extended Education closed certain programs because of budget problems). For students who had units remaining for their B.A., we had until April 30th of this year to complete classes to get our degrees from St. Mary's. I only had a few remaining classes left, which I could take as DANTES and CLEP. I finished all the DANTES and just had these two CLEP remaining which I was scheduled to test for this weekend. If I would have known - I would have done the CLEP first since it seems to be no problem finding DANTES testing up here. (Which makes no sense to me...)

Keep your fingers crossed for me - I have been working on this degree for several years while working fulltime+ and I am so close! I will do whatever I have to do to finish!

Testing Centers - BEWARE - mlwilliamsiv - 04-06-2009

That's the spirit!!! GOOD ATTITUDE!

I'll keep you in my prayers. You've worked too hard---for too long to be going through this crap.

It sounds to me like a bunch of BULL MALARKY!!! (that one's for you Marianne!!!)

Peace be with you always CG.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall

Testing Centers - BEWARE - brothermike - 04-06-2009

I feel your pain! I drive 1 1/2 hours away to a college that offers flexible testing hours. My home school is always booked a month out. OUCH!

Testing Centers - BEWARE - thatbrian - 04-06-2009

Scheduling exams was almost as difficult as studying for them! I drove 1 1/2 hrs each way for most of my CLEPs and DSSTs. ECEs were a bit easier, but you do need to plan ahead.

I really liked Brookdale Community College because it offered walk-in service.

Testing Centers - BEWARE - cookderosa - 04-06-2009

keep trying!! I had a close school with "ok" hours and a $20/test fee, but then I found another testing center that was a bit of a drive, but free with great hours! So, keep looking!!

Testing Centers - BEWARE - Levi - 04-07-2009

I have a great testing center - it's at the University of Indianapolis School for Adult Learning with beautiful facilities. You can walk in anytime and take your test without even scheduling in advance. I don't think I've ever had to wait....and I get a private room all to myself. The charge is $12/test...and it's fifteen minutes away from my house.

I said all of that to let you know that something similar to what's available in my area, may be available somewhere in your area. I don't know if you have ever taken a CLEP test before or not.

I know I'm fortunate, and I hope you can find a good place to take your tests. Wink

Testing Centers - BEWARE - blueberry - 04-07-2009

I am sooooo confused! I paid $30 for every single clep I took! That is in addition to the $70 that CLEP charges! I had nooooo idea it could be cheaper!
Hmmmmm....maybe I shouldn't complain. I test in Brookdale Community College, which is gorgeous and convenient (no appt. necessary), and CLEP is certainly cheaper than sitting for the course in a classroom! I guess I should count my blessings... oh well. Smile