Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: I feel like im moving too slow... am I? (/Thread-I-feel-like-im-moving-too-slow-am-I)

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - swisha2k - 03-05-2009

I've been on this journey since June 2008 and I've racked up 90 credits; however, it seems like I should be going faster. I keep repeating the IC mantra that "this is not a race" but that doesn't quench my anxiety. Secondly, Im in a little study slump (DSST Law Enforcement). I just keep thinking about getting this particular exam finished (material is soooo boring), so I scheduled for Monday. Am I moving too slowly or am I just you're typical "Type A"?... I need some advice.

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - dc67 - 03-05-2009

90 credits since June is pretty admirable!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - studyhard - 03-05-2009

Wait.........you've done 3/4 of your degree in 9 months and you feel like it's too SLOW??????

In all friendly amiability my Wise Advice is this:

Chill out.

hilarious hilarious hilarious

Seriously, that's a fabulous rate of progress. Great job! You're doing fantastic. Don't sweat it. It took me 18 months.

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - okiemom - 03-05-2009

90 credits in less than a year is impressive. But, I kind of understand what you mean. I'm supposed to start a biology class in mid March but I'm having second thoughts on it because eight weeks seems too slow. I keep thinking about how many cleps I can take in that amount of time.

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - Farmerboy - 03-06-2009

Roughly 240 days since you started and since then you have taken .375 credits per day with out a break for weekends. What a slacker.

Heck, it took me3 years to get my degree, so you are like Usain Bolt!

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - bawhitsett - 03-06-2009

Due to a combination of changing majors and schools I finished my undergrad in just under 7 years. You're doing great.

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - thatbrian - 03-06-2009

I did the same pace and no one accused me of dragging my feet. Far from it! Most peoples jaws drop in amazement when I tell them how quickly I'm getting through this. Don't be so hard on yourself (easier said that done, I know).

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - cookderosa - 03-06-2009

College Freshman Statistics (US Department of Education)

50% of incoming freshman will not graduate, EVER.

Only 34% of incoming freshman will graduate in under 6 years.

The remaining 16% of graduates will have taken longer than 6 years.

(edited for clarity)

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - hijadeoshun - 03-06-2009

i wish i could do what youve done its taken me 10 years:eek: to do 70 credits in school one or two classes a semester while working full time (12 hour shifts 5 days a week) and raising three kids. give your self a break you're amazing at least in my book. keep it up!

I feel like im moving too slow... am I? - MISin08 - 03-06-2009

I would be proud of progress like you have made, but I can relate to the slump feeling.

I've found it helps to go work on something else when I can't get into the material. Whatever you're using for Law Enforcement, just pop back in now & then so you don't lose too much while you study for some other test. I've read a few stats that say your retention is better in the end when you leave it and come back to it. Your call whether that's a good thing with this particular test Wink

Alternatively if I'm focusing too much on preparing for the exam, it gets sort of unreal, so I'll find something more engaging to flesh it out a bit. So if I were sick of looking at Law Enforcement flashcards, maybe I'd get a book on crime detection. Watch a video. You get the idea -- take some of the grind out of it.

Then there's the scorched-earth solution. Decide you dislike Law Enforcement enough to replace it with something else.

Phillip