Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Why not AP exams too? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Why not AP exams too? (/Thread-Why-not-AP-exams-too)

Why not AP exams too? - jonasling - 03-03-2009

Why does InstantCert support CLEP, ECE, and DSST exams but not AP exams? Just curious.

Why not AP exams too? - cookderosa - 03-03-2009

jonasling Wrote:Why does InstantCert support CLEP, ECE, and DSST exams but not AP exams? Just curious.
>>

I don't speak for IC. As a consumer, I'd say you can use the exact same material without any trouble.

Also, I don't see many mentions of people in this forum taking AP exams. Is there a reason?

Why not AP exams too? - cookderosa - 03-03-2009

jonasling Wrote:Also, I don't see many mentions of people in this forum taking AP exams. Is there a reason?
>>

I'd guess it's because most of us here are adults (though there are MANY high school students here too) and the AP exams are offered (with permission) through local high schools only.

CLEPs are easier to schedule- offered on a walk in basis, while AP exams are only once per year. That's a REALLLLLLYYYYY slow way to earn credit through testing.

Also many APs require essays, while CLEPs do not.

Lastly, CLEP is pass fail, where AP is scaled. For an average student, more credit is potentially earned through CLEP since credit might be withheld for not scoring a 4 or 5 on an AP exam

For anyone interested, TESC awards 6 credits for every AP exam passed with a 3 or better. (That is very generous by the way) If you have ability in an area offered through AP but not CLEP (Latin for example) I'd say absolutely go for it- even if you are an adult. You "can" take the test at any age. (as long as you don't mind sitting in one of those little desks with a bunch of teenagers and WRITING out your test answers - no computers LOL)

Why not AP exams too? - creationstory - 03-03-2009

cookderosa Wrote:>>

I'd guess it's because most of us here are adults (though there are MANY high school students here too) and the AP exams are offered (with permission) through local high schools only.

CLEPs are easier to schedule- offered on a walk in basis, while AP exams are only once per year. That's a REALLLLLLYYYYY slow way to earn credit through testing.

Lastly, CLEP is pass fail, where AP is scaled. For an average student, more credit is potentially earned through CLEP since credit might be withheld for not scoring a 4 or 5 on an AP exam

For anyone interested, TESC awards 6 credits for every AP exam passed with a 3 or better. (That is very generous by the way) If you have ability in an area offered through AP but not CLEP (Latin for example) I'd say absolutely go for it- even if you are an adult. You "can" take the test at any age. (as long as you don't mind sitting in one of those little desks with a bunch of teenagers and WRITING out your test answers - no computers LOL)

exactly what she said..... EXACTLY!!

cookderosa Wrote:>>

AHA!! That was what I was missing! Did not know all that. Again, thanks so much for sharing.