Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan (/Thread-International-Student-UMPI-Admission-process-and-Degree-Plan)

International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan - pedroso91 - 10-26-2024

Hello everyone! First of all, I want to thank you all for the valuable information you share.
I am looking into a YourPace degree plan at UMPI, and here is a breakdown of my situation:
  • Nationality: Venezuelan
  • Visa: No student visa; planning to study 100% online from Mexico
  • High School Diploma: Yes, obtained in Venezuela in 2009
  • Translated High School Diploma: Translated and notarized from Spanish to English via The Spanish Group
  • University Credits: I have credits from a university in Mexico for the first 5 courses, though I am unsure if UMPI will accept them, so I prefer to list 0 university credits.
  • ICE Credits: None, but I’ve seen on the forum that Sophia, Study.com, etc., offer up to 30 courses that can be transferred.
  • UMPI Degree of Interest: Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration – Project Management & Information Systems
  • Resume/CV: I have a resume and work experience as an IT support analyst and aspiring project manager.
  • Budget: Up to 2 terms at UMPI + Sophia, Study.com, and Coursera memberships
  • Time for Study: 40 hours per week
  • English: I hold an EF SET certification at C1 level (Common European Framework of Reference, CEFR).
I am seeking guidance for the admissions process, ICE transfer, and creating a degree plan.

RE: International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan - Avidreader - 10-26-2024

Which Mexican university is it? UNAM? IPN? As long as it is a public Mexican university or a private one with a RVOE number, the credits should be RA equivalent. Could just get them translated via Spantran or Scholaro and have them evaluated with a GPA value for 200 USD. Sending in those 15 RA credits could come in handy to save time and money.

And given you speak fluent Spanish, why not sign up for the Spanish language speaking or writing ACTFL exam for 165 USD and get easy 12 credits? 6 of those credits will be UL ones.

RE: International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan - MCMDF79 - 10-26-2024

Hello! I'm not sure if this is possible for non US citizens but maybe for the Spanish he could take a CLEP exam through Modern States?

RE: International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan - Avidreader - 10-26-2024

Actfl exams can be done by foreigners, so no problem there. Sophia no issue either. CLEP and Dantes exams can't be done in Mexico. The closest Latin American country from Mexico that allows you to do clep and dantes tests is Honduras. Getting a sophia and study account paying with a Mexican credit card is no issue either.

I think UMPI accepts flreigner students

RE: International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan - bjcheung77 - 10-26-2024

@pedroso91, Welcome to the board, great intro post and it shows you've done your research and pretty much came to a conclusion!  Essentially, you just need to follow through with your Budget: Up to 2 terms at UMPI + Sophia, Study.com, and Coursera memberships - That's it for your max transfer and a balanced mix/match of certs, degree, experience!  

Send everything to UMPI, you want to have any transcripts you currently have send it, in addition to your high school evaluation, they need official copies.  You can work on your Coursera and Sophia.org until you have everything you need, hold off on Study.com until you're done, one subscription at a time is best...  

Side Note: If you need a Sophia.org discount code, you can view the sticky thread for one.  If you need a Study.com one, my bio or signature has the info link.  Here's the UMPI WIKI, under categories, click UMPI to review the general education and specific degree plans: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/University_of_Maine_at_Presque_Isle